PDA

View Full Version : I can help in clearwater Fl.

Nova
10-03-2007, 02:10 PM
:thumbsup I am available to help with babies or injured. I have 10 years of vet tech experience, and have raising and rehabbing squirrels for 8 years. I am working at home know with plenty of time to care for young squirrels. I am experienced in Grey squirrels, Flying squirrel, Sugar gliders, raccoons and even orphaned rats. I help with puppies and kittens too. I can also treat injured if needed.
But rehabbing squirrel is my love besides my family. Watching them grow up in the trees and having young of their own is very exciting to see.mjs

You can email me at nova.avon@yahoo.com

Momma Squirrel
10-03-2007, 02:54 PM
:thankyou :bowdown Nova that is great to know.

sparky
10-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Nova I may desperately need your help. I have a problem in Clearwater with squirrels that I love very much. I didn't raise them, I just got to know them very well. At the moment I'm so upset that I can't think straight. I will contact you when again when I'm not so upset.

Thank you,

Sparky

Nova
10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
This sounds pretty serious. Please let me know when you feel better.:sanp3 I will send you my phone number..

sparky
10-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Nova,

I think that we may have already met. You were a friend of Vernon Yates I believe, and worked with a vet on Saturdays? I was looking for a better place to release some squirrels, and spoke to someone that lives in your area.

Sparky

LittleBabySquirrel
10-04-2007, 12:41 PM
I wish I would of known sooner.... my little Toby hurt his leg somehow and at 1 a.m. I drove him from St. Pete to Clearwater and ended up surrendering him to the vet because I wanted him to have the best care. Because I signed a surrendering paper, they won't let me know how he is, where he is, or even what the problem is...

Awesome to know you're here, for future reference =)

scoobysnack
10-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I wish I would of known sooner.... my little Toby hurt his leg somehow and at 1 a.m. I drove him from St. Pete to Clearwater and ended up surrendering him to the vet because I wanted him to have the best care. Because I signed a surrendering paper, they won't let me know how he is, where he is, or even what the problem is...

Awesome to know you're here, for future reference =)

Why did you have to surrender him?

sparky
10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
You would be surprised at how many vets are not familiar with the law regarding squirrels. The FWC has a clause that says no permit shall be required for squirrels sugar gliders etc. I had the same thing happen to me 4 years ago, and I argued with them till I was blue in the face, but in the end, I turned him over because I didn't have time to find someone else, and I didn't want the little guy to die.

LittleBabySquirrel
10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not experienced with injured squirrels.. I would of felt horrible if he would of died from my lack of experience, he had a better chance with a professional rehabber.

And I was bringing him to work with me. I work at Jiffy Lube, and it was asking a bit much to ask and leave the guys every 3-4 hours to tend to my baby.. let alone any other treatment he would of needed =/

scoobysnack
10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm not experienced with injured squirrels.. I would of felt horrible if he would of died from my lack of experience, he had a better chance with a professional rehabber.

And I was bringing him to work with me. I work at Jiffy Lube, and it was asking a bit much to ask and leave the guys every 3-4 hours to tend to my baby.. let alone any other treatment he would of needed =/

Ahh that I totally understood. The way you said it orignally I thought they were refusing treatment unless you surrendered. I was thinking, in Florida they really can't force you to surrender the animal.

I completely get not having the time. Scooby sucks up my "spare" moments. If you ask Luka, my Great Dane, she sucks up my "Luka time!

Nova
10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Some vet can be very helpful, but some will just euthanize. I would always turn to a rehabber first if you can or see if the vet works with a rehabber. I worked with a emergency vet for a couple of days. And they automatically euthanize when a wild animal comes in. They are not all like that, but their is a large amount of them that will..
Rehabbers dedicate their lives to help the wild one and love doing it.:Love_Icon

Sunnylady
01-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Someone please help please my squirrel needs a vet who won't put her down- I am in Clw. Florida. she is almost 3 yr's old... she has diarrhea(2nd day)! Can someone tell me who to take her to?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Sunnylady, you are lucky you live in a legal squirrel state. Give us an idea what her diet has been first...please.
Meanwhile we will try and find help. Please give us a town?

FLUFFYTAILNUT
01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Someone please help please my squirrel needs a vet who won't put her down- I am in Clw. Florida. she is almost 3 yr's old... she has diarrhea(2nd day)! Can someone tell me who to take her to?
There's a place..here in ..Florida....WeekiWachee Animal care..In Weeki Wachee...352 596 2100 Dr Kern

If your willing to make the drive..he see's squirrrels..on a regular basis..
Hope this Helps..Rachel......

island rehabber
01-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Also -- a little bit of immodium or kaopectate, just a drop on a nut or piece of fruit, can help with the diarrhea until she's seen by a vet. Did anything change in her diet recently? new foods? eating a lot of one particular thing? Is she eating normally now? Make sure she has plenty of fresh water to drink, also, in case she is becoming dehydrated.

Sunnylady
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Also -- a little bit of immodium or kaopectate, just a drop on a nut or piece of fruit, can help with the diarrhea until she's seen by a vet. Did anything change in her diet recently? new foods? eating a lot of one particular thing? Is she eating normally now? Make sure she has plenty of fresh water to drink, also, in case she is becoming dehydrated.
She had some coconut.. but she had it before not since last year-That may of done it.:(

I gave here 4 drops of pet pectillin in her esbilac to try to slow it down and gave her pedialyate and Van.yogurt(she only took a tiny taste- she's not sure about that. she ate 1-2 of a walnut and a hazel nut -always eats monkey biscuits -Broc- lettece- butternut sqush- sometimes pumpkin seeds - no other seeds.(She is a good eater) Somedays acorns 1- or2 a day

but today I took all food out- she is going poo all over them! it's a mess!
I'm so worried.. I'm the only one she lets care for her (Touch and hold her)- and I'm suppose to go in the hospital... so I can't go with her like this!

I blocked her 2nd floor of her condo cage off so It is all in one place at lease. (the poo mess)
I feel so helpless. I hope this stuff helps my hubby got at petsmart. Lambert kay makes it Diarrhea medication for dogs cats birds...>> smells like kayopectate(sp)?

I will let you know- Thanks for the advice- She's my baby and hope she gets over this!! If a vet was around here that cared about squirrels I would take her- if I had too, it would stress her a lot tho!:(:Love_Icon

island rehabber
01-24-2008, 07:05 PM
it's entirely possible the coconut is the culprit.......does it to me every time :D. Seriously, it is a known cause of diarrhea for many animals & people. She may need to just get it out of her system. I would definitely email Nova as soon as you can, though, because she may be able to give you hands-on assistance. :thumbsup

Sunnylady
01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi-Responding in Blue..
:wave123 :Welcome Glad to have you with us! :thumbsup Can you give us all the background on your "baby" that you can think of? What is her diet, what do you use for her bedding,(She sleeps in either her tee-pee or hamster bed in her large cage) is she drinking, eating, is she a grey squirrel,Yes-Grey have you seen any change in her behavior,well she was having a day a week where she would just wanna sleep for the pass few weeks- She hides from the light a lot but i have it on- gets a a little bloated sometimes- I never know why- I read and do everything To be careful and is she under FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT? (Yes, 2 lamps Plus she has my patio) for running around when she wants out Sorry for all the questions, but the more you tell us, the more we will know to be able to help you. :) That's ok.. Understands that!:)

Did you try to e-mail nova, who is in Clearwater, YES- She said:Im not sure what to do for her. I would give her pedialyte and try some yogart..You may have to take her to a vet if she doesnt get better soon."
I wrote her back & asked for her to recomend a vet- still waiting.
and has had a lot of experience with ill squirrels? If not, I would give her a try. She may be able to help you, or know of a vet that will. nova.avon@yahoo.com
Being in a "legal" state to own a squirrel, I don't think a vet would "put her down" for having diarrhea.

Don't get upset, we are here to help you. :grouphug We have some of the BEST squirrel "experts" with us! :thumbsup
I'm gonna have to go tend to Sugar <-her name)
she's up... and going more - gotta clean it- using paper towels now to line the cage- what a mess poor baby!.. well she is 3- She was rescued from the hurricane by a guy who fed her MILK!! :shakehead UHG! Then he gave her to me when she was around 3 months old- I know she had a bad start -I done all I could to make her right she was nasty now sweet after well over a year. Well I think i covered most of the info- BBL- She needs me.:wave123
Sugar's tee pee -> http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/Idee/aaSugarsTeePeesmall.jpg she's older now

4skwerlz
01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
One more thing, can you get some Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Smart Water for her in case she is becoming dehydrated? If she starts to act lethargic, that could be dehydration.

You can also make some homemade rehydration fluid:
--1 teaspoon salt
--3 teaspoons sugar
--1 quart warm water
Mix all ingredients in warm water. Store in refrigerator.

Sunnylady
01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
:thankyou all -I'm gonna go and give it the night- if she's not better tomorrow -I'll have to find a vet- prays she's better by am she is sleeping now. I need a rest! Thanks guys!

FLUFFYTAILNUT
01-24-2008, 07:41 PM
:thankyou all -I'm gonna go and give it the night- if she's not better tomorrow -I'll have to find a vet- prays she's better by am she is sleeping now. I need a rest! Thanks guys!
I found one for you..scroll back a page..Its one thats use to working and handling Squirrels..:poke :D :thumbsup

Sunnylady
01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
One more thing, can you get some Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Smart Water for her in case she is becoming dehydrated? If she starts to act lethargic, that could be dehydration.

You can also make some homemade rehydration fluid:
--1 teaspoon salt
--3 teaspoons sugar
--1 quart warm water
Mix all ingredients in warm water. Store in refrigerator.

Good to know how to make it- I got the Pedialyte, she's drinks it on and off- wonders if i should give her water too- i read too much salt could hurt them.
Worries... How long to give this-? I replaced her water with it today around 3 pm. she drinks it- a lot. :thinking OOH I worry so much :dono I'll use my best judgement- tonight I'll keep it in her cage. tomorrow maybe swich on and off? sigh!:dono

I'm off for a nap- not well myself. oh boy!

Sunnylady
01-24-2008, 07:51 PM
There's a place..here in ..Florida....WeekiWachee Animal care..In Weeki Wachee...352 596 2100 Dr Kern

If your willing to make the drive..he see's squirrrels..on a regular basis..
Hope this Helps..Rachel......

Thanks but that's a LONG Trip for her- hope to find one in Clearwater- but good to know, thanks!:)

4skwerlz
01-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Here is a 24-hour emergency number for Florida Wildlife Care Center. They have a whole page on squirrels. They won't euthanize or seize your animal.

http://www.floridawildlifecare.org/help.htm#EmergencyInformation

We work throughout North Central Florida and also give referals across the state please use our 24-hour helpline for emergency help
(352) 371-4400

FLUFFYTAILNUT
01-25-2008, 06:59 AM
How is..Sugar this Morning??
Any changes...?

4skwerlz
01-25-2008, 08:10 AM
How is Sugar today?

Yes, you are right, it is better to give EXTRA fluids with Pedialyte, still allowing access to regular water, and don't give it for longer than 24 hours because of the high salt content. Sounds like you know what you're doing!

An excellent way to help keep her hydrated is with grapes (peeled and cut in half) or watermelon.

Sunnylady
01-25-2008, 11:48 AM
How is Sugar today?

Yes, you are right, it is better to give EXTRA fluids with Pedialyte, still allowing access to regular water, and don't give it for longer than 24 hours because of the high salt content. Sounds like you know what you're doing!

An excellent way to help keep her hydrated is with grapes (peeled and cut in half) or watermelon.
very perky and i seen a firming - I hope it's over. :wott

she had a grape and water- also a hazel nut and a peice of butternut sqush(sp) I think she feels better than me! I hope it's over- Thanks everyone... Just being able to share- without the people who don't understand is great! She's my baby! :D so she's a squirrel!:peace

Buddy'sMom
01-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Glad she's feeling better! :thumbsup Stick around ... we'd love to hear more about Sugar! :Love_Icon (love the name -- they are such sweeties :) )

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

cr8zyanimalgirl
01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Glad to hear she is doing better. I have 3 vets in the area here is Pinellas, Hillsborough and Pasco. I know they work with Flyers, and sugar gliders I am not 100% sure if they do regular squirrels. The one in Pinellas is Steele Animal Hospital they are on Seminole Blvd. Hillsborough there are 2 actually 1 is Citrus Park Animals Hospital and I am looking up the 2nd one. The one in Pasco is Pasco Animal Hospital they are right on us 19 across the street from Sam's Club. Hope this helps

I can also help with babies that are in need of help in Hillsborough, paco and Pinellas County. I live in the Tarpon Springs area.

Animal<3'er
12-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi Nova.. I have three flying squirrels that are about 3-4 months old... I am ready to release them and wanted to know if you knew of a safe place to do so.