PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP SWOLLEN FOOT!

LittleBabySquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I fed 7-week old Toby and put him to bed for the night. An hour or so later my father said he had been moving around his cage and sure enough, he was awake. I set him on my bed to play with him to tire him and noticed he wasn't using his left hind leg. Then I noticed the swelling. Even his toes seem swollen. He keeps grunting. My first instict told me to put ice on his foot, but I'm unsure as to whether this is a break and needs furthur treatment or if its a sprain from getting his foot caught in something? I want to do the right thing for Toby, I don't want my baby squirrel hurting! Any suggestions?

LittleBabySquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Sorry for the huge pictures..

LittleBabySquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Just checked on him and now his hip is swollen too!! I'm about to burst in to tears, I don't know how I should help him!

4skwerlz
10-01-2007, 10:32 PM
LBS, Is there an emergency vet near you? What state are you in?

4skwerlz
10-01-2007, 10:33 PM
LBS, can you move to CHAT?

LittleBabySquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:33 PM
There is.. a 24 hour one... I'm in the Tampa Bay Area in Florida

thundersquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:34 PM
greetings LBS! thank you for coming to us for help.

don't worry too much about toby's foot- if it gets worse within the hour, please tell us IMMEDIATELY.

we NEED to know some important info before we can REALLY help you, so bear with us;

1. how long have you had tobey?
2. how have you been housing him?
3. what have you been feeding him?
4. does he have a heat source?
5. how did you find him (what was his condition upon finding?)?
6. are there any bugs on him?
7. have you ever found poisonous bugs/spiders in your house?

4skwerlz
10-01-2007, 10:34 PM
There is.. a 24 hour one... I'm in the Tampa Bay Area in Florida

Can you call them and ask if they will treat a squirrel?

thundersquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:37 PM
WHOOPS! didn't post fast enough.

if you could take him to the 24 hour care, that might be far better. i'm worried he's sustained some kind of venomous bite or serious fracture. if it has changed that quickly, he needs urgent care. :(

LittleBabySquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:38 PM
1. how long have you had tobey?
2. how have you been housing him?
3. what have you been feeding him?
4. does he have a heat source?
5. how did you find him (what was his condition upon finding?)?
6. are there any bugs on him?
7. have you ever found poisonous bugs/spiders in your house?

1. I've had him 2 weeks
2. He was in a box until his eyes opened a week ago, and now he is in a bird cage without the metal floor in
3. I have been feeding him powdered esbilac with banana baby food
4. No heat source
5. My father found him at the elementary school where he works. Some kids found him next to 3 dead babies and thought he was dead too and threw him away.
6. No bugs
7. I have found what I believed to be a brown widow before.. and I did just re-arrange my room, maybe I disturbed one?

I can get into chat.

thundersquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:39 PM
go to chat. i will be there

hazel
10-01-2007, 10:55 PM
On the pictures it looks like there's a red area at the front of the ankle. It can be seen to some degree in all the pictures.

I'm thinking sprain, break or bug bite. How does he seem to be feeling?

Seriously, try to remain calm. If you're freaked out the baby will be nervous.

Have you tried feeling the leg from the toes, all the way up? A spot that feels crunchy or an area that is extra swollen may indicate a break. Remember to look at the front of the ankle.

thundersquirrel
10-01-2007, 11:05 PM
hello all

LBS is taking the squirrel to a 24 hour squirrel-treating vet clinic. she couldn't examine the baby TOO well because he was crying in pain with every touch.

she says she will update us when she returns. this happened SO fast that we're very worried it's life threatening.

keep fingers crossed.

4skwerlz
10-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Way to go, TS. I was on Chat with them and TS did a fantastic job.

thundersquirrel
10-01-2007, 11:14 PM
oh stop you're making me blush....

LittleBabySquirrel
10-02-2007, 06:24 AM
:: sigh ::

Well, I had a very hard decision to make. The receptionist said i had two options - pay the consultation fee and for additional work/medication and take him back, or hand him over to be treated and given to a qualified rehabber.

I wanted him to have the best treatment possible, as I am not a license rehabber..

I can't stand to look at his cage...:shakehead.. At least he will be well-cared for, and released...

I want to thank everyone who helped me out. :thankyou

It will only be a matter of time until another little baby needs some help, as this was the second year in a row I've had a young grey.

So until then...

LynninIN
10-02-2007, 06:48 AM
:bowdown :bowdown I know it was hard to give your baby squirrel up but you made the right decision under the circumstances. :grouphug

4skwerlz
10-02-2007, 08:12 AM
You did the right thing, LBS. And try not to worry. We're lucky in Florida--we have so many great rehabbers. Your little Toby will have the best chance to get better and be released. :grouphug

Did the vet tell you anything about Toby's leg? Also, usually they will allow you to call and check on them. Don't be afraid to ask.

thundersquirrel
10-02-2007, 10:07 AM
LBS thank you for being so courageous through all of this. i'm sorry you couldn't raise the squirrel yourself- it's an awesome experience- but sometimes we just have to let go of the squirrel for their greater benefit.

you've done wonderfully. thank you for making this decision. you've certainly gained a few hundred points with the squirrel board. :D :D :D

island rehabber
10-02-2007, 10:23 AM
:thumbsup LBS, you've certainly done the very best thing for your little squirrel. I saw that you were in extremely capable hands last night and I can see you've taken all that good advice. Prayers and good energies coming to you from here, for your cute little squirrel to get well quick! :)

barneysmom
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Dear LBS - have you given any thought to taking the test to become a rehabber in your area? Since you're obviously a compassionate person (especially when it comes to our favorite animal, right everyone?), it may be one of the most enjoyable things you've ever done. I don't know your age/circumstances but it's just a thought. I started out with rehabbing a baby sparrow six years ago and eventually came to love the squirrels so that's what I do now. It's tough at times with a full-time job but hey, when you see those babies open their eyes for the first time, it makes getting up at 5:30 for the morning feeding seem like nothing! Give it some thought and good luck with your next find (although I really hope you don't find a squirrel in need, you know?)

LittleBabySquirrel
10-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Again, thank you everyone for your support! I am feeling better now that I know someone will be able to give him 100% of their time, attention, and love.

And to Barneysmom:

I have recently considered looking into being a rehabber, or at least a volunteer. I'm 18 with just work on my schedule for now.

My mother and I have raised 6 greys together for release, and a year ago I raised a 7-8 week old for release. Toby would of been my 2nd on my own. Three years ago I raised a blue jay from the time he had no feathers/fluff on his tummy.. so I will definately keep up with this wonderful forum.

LittleBabySquirrel
10-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Well I just got off work and I called the vet. The receptionist directed me to the big, bold print at the bottom of the surrender form that I signed.

"I understand that after this surrender, no further information will be released by Tampa Bay Vet. Emergency Services, its officers, agents, servants, or representatives as to the dispostion of said animals."

She was rude about it too...

I just hope he was okay and that he wansn't put down reguardless.:dono

muffinsquirrel
10-02-2007, 03:05 PM
That stinks!!! I think I would write a letter to the vet (see if you can find out who owns it, and write directly to them) and complain - first about the policy of 'no information', and second, about the rudness of the person you spoke to. Send a copy to the State Vet Board. Was it explained to you how much you would have to pay to keep him? Was anything said about what would be done for or with the squirrel if you surrendered him? Are they directly involved with local rehabbers and/or the Humane Society/SPCA? It their policy of 'no information' approved by the vet board that controlls your state?

You did the very best thing you could do for this squirrel baby, and I know what a hard decision it was for you to make. They should at least keep you informed. If all else fails, one day when you have a few free hours, make you a sign that says "I turned in a rescued baby squirrel here, and now they won't even tell me what they did with him!" (You might want to check with the local police to see what the laws about picket lines are there!) If nothing else, you should be able to put a few signs on your car and park in front of the place. Their whole attitude runs up a red flag about their practice.

Be proud that you did the best thing for your baby, and keep on working for a rehabbers permit - we need more people like you around!!

muffinsquirrel

LittleBabySquirrel
10-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks, Muffinsquirrel.

I'll make a note to check into the laws to see how valid it is. It was explained how much it would be.. but I don't have experience with injured animals.. thank goodness all the little ones I've had have been healthy. They said they would treat him overnight and get him to a rehabber the next day. Well, later that day.. all that happened at about 1AM...

As for the rudeness, I recall a time, make that two times actually, where I was "shrugged" off by another emergency vet.

Time 1: A cream and white rat, who I had only had for about 2 days seemed to have come down with pneunomia... they took her in the back to get vitals where she suddenly "died". I then proceeded to pay $65 for their "consultation" They couldn't just tell me she was too far gone and it was more humane to put her down? And inform me first?

Time 2: A rat I had for 3 years, named Default, a dark grey and white berkshire, had develped a tumor in her armpit (something about not being spayed and getting a tumor in her lymph nodes). I'm talkin' like a very large grape. They gave me an esitmate for the surgery, anesthesia, "bunny" spay/neuter (since they didnt have a rat category) and it was almost $1,500!! I was a 16 year old girl! Instead of telling me that it was better she lived out her days at home in comfort, they scare me out of their office with that estimate. Then I pay the $35 consulation fee and go on my way.

The local non-emergency vet I have now for my cat is super nice.. what is it with emergency vets?

Buddy'sMom
10-02-2007, 03:33 PM
You did the right thing in recognizing that this baby needed more experienced medical/rehabber care and in finding a vet to take him. We hope that the vet then did his/her part and turned the baby over to a rehabber.

The vet practice may have reasons for the policy -- but there is NO excuse for rudeness. If you have alternative emergency clinics to go to, but all means, report them to the state. But ... you might need them in the future, in which case it might be a better first step to talk directly to one of the vets -- about their policy (since the gatekeeper probably won't put you through to talk about the squirrel).

Explain politely that you are concerned and would like to know what's happening with the baby you rescued. And that you don't understand their policy. Give them a chance to explain -- and THEN try to convince them that it's a stupid policy. Explain that you are pursuing becoming a rehabber and might have other animals in the future that would need vet care. They probably cannot give you the name of the rehabber, but perhaps could pass along your contact info to that person. Rehabbers love to hear about potential new recruits!

If all of that fails to move them --- then think about all the ideas muffin suggested. (except, do some homework before the demonstrating-thing, so you don't get in trouble ....).

:grouphug

LittleBabySquirrel
10-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Buddy's Mom:

Lol. I was considering that. I think the surrendering policy more so applies to dogs and cats that owners give up because they can't afford to pay for medical care. I think it should be waived for people who rescue wildlife and want to give them the best chance at making it back to the wild...

There's just no compassion :shakehead

I mean.. I was practically in tears in the office when I handed him over.. I think I'll wait until tonight to give them a call again, maybe the same girls I talked to last night will be on shift again.. and will be more understanding..

LittleBabySquirrel
10-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure how to move a thread, or if I am even able to.. I dont want to take up headline space for future emergencies...

thundersquirrel
10-02-2007, 04:17 PM
LBS, i'm eighteen as well! i've rehabbed for three years (at first...it wasn't TECHNICALLY legal, but NOW IT IS!)

i've only done squirrels. it's really rewarding. it helps, though, to get a parent involved- i couldn't care for the babies while at school unless i went home for lunch.

now i'm at college and only see my little squirrels maybe once a week, if i'm lucky. i don't know what your situation is, but rehabbing is awesome, and it looks REALLY good on a resume (esp. if you want to get a career in natural sciences).

instead of moving this thread, you could just make a new one somewhere. doesn't have to be anything specific. :)

so glad you came here. :grouphug sorry about the stupid vet office. i'm a bit worried, though, that you signed a release form. i think it's hard to get around something if you put your signature on it. :dono