PDA

View Full Version : Baby flyer help

JLFrance
10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I just found a baby flyer and I've been feeding him kitten fourmula but I need to know some more information as of how often to feed him, how old is he exactly? Any help is great. Thanks so much... Heres a picture of the little guy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/RoxyChild188/cid__1001072127.jpg

thundersquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:22 PM
hello jlf! thank you SO much for saving this little baby! here are some basics;

1. warmth- baby must be kept warm at all times. keep him (or her) on a heating pad set ON LOW with NO AUTOMATIC SHUT-OFF. only put heating pad under HALF of the baby's enclosure, so that it can move away from heat if necessary.

2. examination- carefully look the baby over in every crevice with good lighting. do you see any injuries? bugs? bits of white stuff? scars? does the baby breathe regularly, does the baby respond painfully to any touch?

3. hydration- this is best done with pedialyte, found at most grocery stores. heat the pedialyte until it feels hot to touch but DOES NOT HURT in any way. if you have a 1 cc syringe or eye dropper, you can try to get the little one to drink.

4. if you feel that this responsibility is too great, too time-consuming (several feedings a day, maintenance of cage), too costly (must pay for formula, syringes, possibly things you don't have), or just not your cup of tea, we can help you find a rehabilitator in your area to take care of the squirrel and raise it to adulthood. please indicate your intentions. ;)

THANKS AGAIN! i hope this helps! forgive the bossy tone, you need info fast!

thundersquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:23 PM
i would also like to add that more info will be given by rehabbers more familiar with flying squirrels. but i've given you the basic rehabilitation information. please sit tight. :)

JLFrance
10-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I found this baby in my yard actually... Where can I get puppy fourmula? Wal mart? I actually want to keep him as well

muffinsquirrel
10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
He looks to be around 3 or 4 weeks old. The first thing you need to do is get him on Esbilac Puppy Replacement formula, not kitten. Put him in a container that is half on, half off of a heating pad set on low. Make sure it is not one of the newer heating pads with an automatic off. Use fleece for bedding. I am sending you a PM with more information.

muffinsquirrel

thundersquirrel
10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
hey JLF! how's it going? i'm guessing you went to sleep- hope to have you post in the morning, at least! ;)

keep us updated! we're here to help. :D

JLFrance
10-02-2007, 12:42 AM
im still here. muffin sent me quite a few helpful PM's. Im just really excited and hope my baby grows healthy. Is it too early to name him?

hazel
10-02-2007, 03:03 AM
TSB formally grants you permission to name the baby! :rotfl

Esbilac is available at most pet supply stores such as Petco, Petsmart or Pet Supplies Plus.

If you're sleepless with excitement you can begin reading the flying squirrel forum here at TSB.

JLFrance
10-02-2007, 03:13 AM
thanks! Ive been reading all night! I named him Icarus by the way :crazy

hazel
10-02-2007, 03:18 AM
That's a mighty fine name as long as he doesn't fly too close to the sun! :sunshine

Is that Sandy Cheeks?? I'm VERY partial to Gary.

JLFrance
10-02-2007, 03:21 AM
haha