PDA

View Full Version : Hello! And some questions

rheymoon
06-16-2024, 12:21 PM
Hi! I didn't know about this forum until a few days ago and I am grateful to have found it. I'm from Indiana and live in an area with lots of red (and I think gray?) squirrels. I know very little about squirrels other than small red ones have been in our house twice this summer already (and swiftly ejected). I didn't plan on ever learning about squirrels until a few days ago and now I would like to learn more.

At the beginning of summer, a small squirrel was trying to climb a downspout by our garage. Obviously it was getting nowhere and it scrabbled at the metal for a good 10 minutes. I took a little video because I thought it was cute, but then after awhile I got worried. I put on gloves, pulled it gently out of the gutter, and put it in the woods by our house. I posted the little video to Facebook - because again, cute - and was almost immediately scolded for not calling a rehabber since it was a baby. Honestly, I didn't know that you couldn't just leave them, whoops. I figured "wild animal, it'll figure things out."

So the next time, a similar (same?) squirrel ended up in our TV room somehow. I think it was via the chimney, but the chimney people came out and said there was no way, so who knows. This time I put it in a cat carrier and called a bunch of rehabbers in the state. Of the two that answered, one wasn't taking animals and the other was 2 hours away. I was preparing to drive it down there, but then it escaped and ran off. Ok, no problem.

So then last week on Wednesday morning, I was fixing the grill and heard a scratching noise by a downspout (not the same one). This particular downspout was attached to that black corrugated piping that takes the water further from the house, but the piping went down into the ground. So there was something trapped in there. I pried the piping off and found a little red squirrel. He was very stressed-out looking and not moving well so I got gloves and put him in the carrier with a bowl of water. I contacted a bunch of rehabbers, but only 2 replied and neither were taking animals. The first one couldn't talk and the second one said after looking at pictures that it was an adult and could be released. It looked pretty sick, though, so I felt weird letting it go. I contacted an acquaintance who does raccoon rescue in another state, and she gave me recommendations (Miracle Nipple, oral rehydration solution, some food guidance). I still was kind of thinking it would cool off, rally, and leave but I did order and make everything. He ate some peaches but spent all of his time hunched over so far that the top of his head was on the floor of the carrier and he wasn't moving the left side of his body very well, although he didn't seem to be in pain and was able to move all his extremities.

My friend advised that I get a weight, so I did, and the next morning (Thursday) he was down a couple grams. He hadn't had any water so I made the rehydration solution and gave him that via a pipette until the miracle nipple came. I do not believe he aspirated at any time he was with me, but I could be wrong. He would respond when I lifted him to feed him but other than that he wouldn't really move.

I asked my local rehabber again and she said he was just in shock and that it would stress him out more to transport him to the rehab (is this true?). She said just leave the carrier outside with the door open and he would leave. I have a large catio that my cats don't use, so I put him in there with the carrier open and some food and water, in the shade. After about 90 minutes I checked on him and almost had a heart attack. He was on his side next to the carrier, covered with fuzz and birdseed (there are feeders out there and messy birds) and I thought he was dead. I picked him back up and brought him inside and got him to drink a little bit of the rehydration solution, 0.5mL at most every 20 minutes until he was basically back to what he'd been before I put him outisde.

After like 24 hours of every 2-3 hours of hydration (about 1-1.5mL at a time; he was 124 g to start), he had pooped twice and had a couple of pees. He was perking up and was able to walk around the room although he kept running into things like he couldn't see them. He walked in circles at first (counterclockwise) but then straightened up. His left eye didn't open quite as well as his right. I could not really tell if he could see. He drank very well and enthusiastically on day 2 and by Thursday evening, he had eaten a bit of green bean, a couple pieces of cucumber, and a small piece of cashew (I know now that cashews aren't that good for squirrels but my raccoon rehabber friend did not). He even climbed on the enclosure a little although he kept going counterclockwise and ending up upside down. I was really happy with how he looked when I went to bed, and I didn't get up to hydrate him because he'd taken 4.5mL right beforehand so I figured that he'd be ok until morning. I noticed a tiny bit of blood on his left toe, but I thought he'd just snagged it on fabric (it took me a minute to get some fleece).

When I came in with his food on Friday morning, he was dead. He was curled on his side and his eyes were open a tiny crack. He was in a different spot than he started out in and the fleece in his first spot had bloodstains on it. He had blood around his nose and mouth, but not around his anus. I didn't see any petechiae or anything.

I know now that the exotic vet near me takes wildlife surrenders but I didn't find that out until late on Friday and they don't accept them after hours. I will do that in the future, but my questions are this:
- What do I do if rehabbers don't return calls/don't accept animals? I can't bring myself to release a sick or injured animal back into my yard. I'm glad he died in a warm bed with food in his belly, but I also don't want to cause harm.
- Did I do something to cause this little guy's death? He seemed to be improving with every hour and I was really looking forward to being able to let him go. He was still acting concussed, yes, but he was drinking and then eating. Why would he die suddenly? I am feeling terribly guilty and I didn't know what else I could have done. And I got VERY attached to little Trevor and am grieving his loss.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Chirps
06-16-2024, 01:07 PM
Hi! Thank you so much for caring and trying to help this little creature! If you could post a link to your video, the experts could confirm whether this was an adult or a juvenile. Either way it sounds like your squirrel probably had something going on, which may or may not have been fixable. It might have had some internal injuries that were too much for it, and since animals are resilient and want so much to live, it hung on and even seemed to rally briefly. Lots of possibilities for what was going on. You will probably ponder it forever.

It seems likely that you will be crossing paths with squirrels in future. This board is a wealth of info. There are people here with combined experience of well over 100 years. (Not me.) So glad you found this place, even if not in time for Trevor. Trevor led you here, so hopefully he will be instrumental in helping other squirrels you may need to care for.

rheymoon
06-16-2024, 01:18 PM
Thank you so much for the fast reply!

He fell all the way down the downspout and I don't know how long he was stuck in there. It was a hot day when I got him out. :(

I can't seem to attach anything to this - the upload window comes up and then I select a photo, but then nothing happens. Is there somewhere I could email the video and photos?

Chirps
06-16-2024, 04:19 PM
I am not tech savvy. Hopefully someone who can help you will see your posts. Videos usually get put on YouTube and they post the link so people here can see them.

Wow, being caught in the downspout for who knows how long would be very stressful to be sure. I am wondering if there is a way to cover that so other animals can't get in. We have Gutter Helmets on part of our roof. But not everywhere. You have me wondering if or how often this happens to animals with the people never even knowing about it unless they see a problem with the drainage. I wonder if it has happened here and I never knew. :eek :sniff

rheymoon
06-16-2024, 07:18 PM
Got it ! Thank you so much - here is the video - will also edit my original post.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qgTLxAItbfA?feature=share

rheymoon
06-16-2024, 07:20 PM
oh guess I can't edit my original post - sorry!

Charley Chuckles
06-16-2024, 09:54 PM
:Welcome
Thank you for caring for this squirrel 🐿️
I watched the video I can't quite figure him out, does he seem like he can see 🙈
Yes you only have 15 minutes to edit posts🤷 so many of mine are a scrambled mess 🤦😂

rheymoon
06-16-2024, 10:15 PM
He ran into stuff a lot. I do not think he could see.

Charley Chuckles
06-17-2024, 07:12 AM
He ran into stuff a lot. I do not think he could see.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a safe vet in your area?

rheymoon
06-17-2024, 07:47 AM
I know now the local exotic vet will take wildlife during the business day! I guess I don't know what their rates of euthanasia are for injured animals. Do you think Trevor was an adult? That's what the rehabber said when i sent photos/videos - they said a young adult but for sure an adult. Now I'm wondering if he was too little for the rehydration solution and food...ugh, I wish I had known more about this before it happened :(

Charley Chuckles
06-17-2024, 09:36 AM
Got it ! Thank you so much - here is the video - will also edit my original post.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qgTLxAItbfA?feature=share

HOPING OTHERS WILL WATCH THIS VIDEO..... I'M NOT SURE OF AGE.

Chirps
06-17-2024, 09:36 AM
Please don't beat yourself up. It is good to learn that you have a potential vet in your corner if you get into a similar situation in future, but also one needs to be cautious. Some vets are great of course, but some are maybe too quick to just euthanize. Hopefully someone here will know something about the vet you found. Your state might also have rules and regulations about wildlife, like once you bring it to a vet for treatment, you are relinquishing it to them.

Knowing nothing about reds myself, that video does look like a young adult based on the floofiness of the tail. The red people could confirm or deny.

You did the best you could with the information you had. Trevor probably had things going on that were just insurmountable. Maybe he could have been helped, but you can't get mired down in what ifs and if onlys. The important thing is you found a resource here that can help you in future. Trevor did that. :hug