PDA

View Full Version : What is better for squirrel now that is past 4 week old Esbilac or Fox Valley for 4+?

lovesquirrels1
05-23-2024, 04:03 PM
I wondered if anyone has an opinion on if Esbilac or Fox valley20/50 is better? The esbilac kind of has a gross coating on top of it once it cools but seems more consistent. Fox valley looks more eye pleasing but when I dip a fork in it and the water runs off there's little beads left behind even after it's been in the fridge for hours (see pic). I never paid attention before but I noticed it today. Is that supposed to be there? Also, there's little blue chips I find in it sometimes. Are those one of the vitamins?

Charley Chuckles
05-24-2024, 06:52 AM
Once their eyes open I slowly mix foxvalley 20/50 in with the Esbilac for a few feedings then transition to just foxvalley.
Yes I see the blue in the FV as well. Just make sure to shake the bag well and mix well 👍
I hate the way Esbilac makes their pee smell 😝
Foxvalley smells like Carnation malted milk 😁

lovesquirrels1
05-24-2024, 12:29 PM
Do the squirrels have a different consistency of poop on one or the other? I was worried because mine had what seemed like hard stools coming out but now one's got loose stool the last time he went it looks like (there was some smeared on him).

CritterMom
05-24-2024, 01:07 PM
More important is making the transition from one to the other SLOWLY. I spent a week transitioning to new. ANY diet change will throw their tummies off, you want to do it so gradually the tummy doesn't notice it is happening!

Note: There are a lot of people who transition to 1/2 Esbilac and 1/2 FV20/50 for their final formula. If you have stomach issues, you can always do that as well.

lovesquirrels1
06-05-2024, 07:39 AM
More important is making the transition from one to the other SLOWLY. I spent a week transitioning to new. ANY diet change will throw their tummies off, you want to do it so gradually the tummy doesn't notice it is happening!

Note: There are a lot of people who transition to 1/2 Esbilac and 1/2 FV20/50 for their final formula. If you have stomach issues, you can always do that as well.

That's what I ended up doing was making a batch of fox valley and one of esbilac and giving them each a syringe of each one. They are 60 grams now and eating 3 ML at a time of fox valley. They seem to like each one just fine but since fox valley is made specifically for squirrels I decided to stick with that.