PDA

View Full Version : Introducing veggies

Rosh
05-13-2024, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

The two grey squirrels in my care are doing well, they have formula and rat food as per advice on here. I think one is a bit older than the other... Maybe a week. The bigger one now eats formula from a saucer, but the other one prefers eating from the 1ml syringe.

I think they are about 10/11 weeks old now. They've had avocado and a bit of apple. I need to introduce veggies - I know there are lots of posts here on what can be fed... Sweet potato and kale seems to be favourites... I'm a little nervous about them choking, does anyone have any recommendations about safe starting veggies and size and amount to give?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Rosh
05-14-2024, 02:19 PM
Hi all,

The two grey squirrels in my care are doing well, they have formula and rat food as per advice on here. I think one is a bit older than the other... Maybe a week. The bigger one now eats formula from a saucer, but the other one prefers eating from the 1ml syringe.

I think they are about 10/11 weeks old now. They've had avocado and a bit of apple. I need to introduce veggies - I know there are lots of posts here on what can be fed... Sweet potato and kale seems to be favourites... I'm a little nervous about them choking, does anyone have any recommendations about safe starting veggies and size and amount to give?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Update: I did a bit of searching on the internet and here and offered some small chunks of sweet potato and a bit of lettuce - they went crazy for the sweet potato and did at least attempt the lettuce! I'll have to try some different types. I was a bit nervous as they were eating, but am glad that they've made a start on the veggies as they were clearly ready for it. I'm still feeding formula and they have rat food.

TubeDriver
05-14-2024, 04:08 PM
Hi Rosh,
Here is a handy guide to a healthy diet and which veggies are best. Keep offering formula till they wean themselves, alongside veggies and block.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Update: I did a bit of searching on the internet and here and offered some small chunks of sweet potato and a bit of lettuce - they went crazy for the sweet potato and did at least attempt the lettuce! I'll have to try some different types. I was a bit nervous as they were eating, but am glad that they've made a start on the veggies as they were clearly ready for it. I'm still feeding formula and they have rat food.

Rosh
05-14-2024, 07:37 PM
Hi Rosh,
Here is a handy guide to a healthy diet and which veggies are best. Keep offering formula till they wean themselves, alongside veggies and block.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Thank you so much - really appreciate it. Yes, I'll keep with the formula until they don't want it. The smaller of the two doesn't always want it, but that's the one who eats the most rat food - tends to go for it most in the morning and evening. The other one takes it every time! :)