PDA

View Full Version : socializing?

MANGO
05-06-2024, 01:32 PM
hey folks,

First of all I thank everyone who helped me get through the aspiration scare.

Now, my baby is growing up really fast and I'm loving her energy, excitement and playfulness.

She weighed 45g today, I have introduced her to watermelon and she loves it!! she nibbles on it and sucks the juice.

Coming to the topic, My family decided on adopting a Cocker Spaniel pup. The puppy is the exact same age as MANGO (31 days old). since the both of them are very young, would introducing them early on lead to a good companionship?

The reason for getting the pup was to protect the house from snakes as we have a huge yard with a garden. This is because we had a cocker spaniel before and we had a very good experience with it as a house guard dog. Also, my family adores MANGO and she gets along really well with my family too

I have read other threads here that swears on not introducing them to dogs, but the age factor was never mentioned there. I'm just curious and I'm trying to understand what my options here are.

at the end, Id love to understand a bit more here.

CritterMom
05-06-2024, 02:07 PM
The very thing that will make him a good protection animal makes him a NOT good companion for your little squirrels. Cocker Spaniels have a "high prey drive" to go after little animals. My neighbors have a cocker and he throws himself at the yard squirrels like a maniac. Happily, he is never off leash.

Some dogs have automatic gentle, mothering instincts and are more likely to bond to odd little creatures they probably shouldn't be interested in befriending, but I do not see that with a dog bred for hunting, which cockers are. I would make sure they are kept apart.