PDA

View Full Version : My squirrel just loves this

olie
05-03-2024, 08:16 AM
Is there anything in this that would hurt my grey squirrel? He goes nuts over these bits and leaves no crumbs!

I only give him a couple bits a day for the vitamin content but wish to use them to train him but don’t want to give him too much of a good thing.327151327152

Charley Chuckles
05-03-2024, 08:54 AM
:Welcome
I'm really not sure 🤷
I hope someone will know 👍

Spanky
05-03-2024, 10:02 AM
This is not good nutritionally... In fact it is horrible. It is mostly dried corn, which is a horrible, calcium robbing food that will result in MBD in squirrels. Captive squirrels should never be fed dried corn, except maybe as an occasional treat.

Years ago I took in a very sick adolescent squirrel that had been raised on dog kibble... not only was she suffering from MBD, her belly was orange from the dog kibble (this was a grey squirrel whose belly should have... and eventually did turn... white as (clean/fresh) snow.

olie
05-03-2024, 12:32 PM
This is not good nutritionally... In fact it is horrible. It is mostly dried corn, which is a horrible, calcium robbing food that will result in MBD in squirrels. Captive squirrels should never be fed dried corn, except maybe as an occasional treat.

Years ago I took in a very sick adolescent squirrel that had been raised on dog kibble... not only was she suffering from MBD, her belly was orange from the dog kibble (this was a grey squirrel whose belly should have... and eventually did turn... white as (clean/fresh) snow.

Thank you! I didn’t think it would be a staple but the squirrel likes it more than anything else I give him, if given a choice of one piece of this or anything else he grabs this and ignores the good stuff I bought specifically made for squirrels.
I considered just since it is for cats I wouldn’t feed it to him as a staple but thought it might be an occasional treat and the probiotics could be good.

I wonder why corn isn’t considered bad for cats.

CritterMom
05-03-2024, 01:15 PM
Thank you! I didn’t think it would be a staple but the squirrel likes it more than anything else I give him, if given a choice of one piece of this or anything else he grabs this and ignores the good stuff I bought specifically made for squirrels.
I considered just since it is for cats I wouldn’t feed it to him as a staple but thought it might be an occasional treat and the probiotics could be good.

I wonder why corn isn’t considered bad for cats.

It is terrible for cats. It is a cheap filler that is in almost all commercial pet food.