PDA

View Full Version : Sick squirrel

rcordial06
04-30-2024, 12:11 PM
Thank you for adding me. What would cause a squirrel to go from very active one minute to later in the day being lifeless. He doesn't want to play and is not active like normal. He's eating good and using bathroom good. Could it be MBD? I gave him a tums and today he's some better, but still not as active. I know something is wrong. Any advice?

Spanky
04-30-2024, 01:13 PM
Thank you for adding me. What would cause a squirrel to go from very active one minute to later in the day being lifeless. He doesn't want to play and is not active like normal. He's eating good and using bathroom good. Could it be MBD? I gave him a tums and today he's some better, but still not as active. I know something is wrong. Any advice?

Absolutely it can be MBD. They can seem fine one day and dead in the bottom of the cage the next.

I'd start the emergency MBD protocol... it cannot hurt and can only help. Continue the treatment until or unless some other cause has been determined.
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?17680-Emergency-Treatment-for-MBD-(Updated-3-31-09)

To help assess if this is MBD or perhaps something else, please provide some info on age, diet (does he get a high quality rodent block in his diet?). Could he have gotten into a house plant? Maybe he has stashed some food that has gone bad and then ate it? Any environmental changes like new toys, bedding, detergents, soaps?!?!