PDA

View Full Version : Grief over baby squirrel

Squirrelfriends
04-24-2024, 12:00 AM
Yesterday I was watching a group of five baby squirrels hanging out in a tree. There was one squirrel that was about half the size of the other ones, he was the runt of the litter I assume. He almost fell out of the tree a couple of times, but caught himself. It made me nervous, but I didn’t do anything about it because he was in his habitat with his other siblings. This morning he was found dead on the sidewalk where I am thinking he fell out of the tree. I have cried a couple times today regarding the death. I am absolutely heartbroken. I also feel guilty like I could have saved him. If I only knew that he was going to die, I could’ve took him in yesterday and found a certified rehabilitator. But at the same time I would’ve had to take him from his home and family so I’m not sure what the right thing I could have done since he wasn’t abandoned… I’m just overwhelmed with sadness and guilt. He was so precious it just breaks my heart to pieces. I’m not really sure what type of answer I am looking for. I just am so heartbroken over this and am grieving over the little baby squirrel. I become very attached to the wildlife critters in my yard and I spend a lot of time outside with them. So even if they’re not my pets, the grief is heavy and not everyone understands that feeling unless they love wildlife themselves… I figured this would be a good place to share my feelings with other people who love squirrels. Thank you for your time.

supersquirrelgirl
04-24-2024, 12:38 AM
Yesterday I was watching a group of five baby squirrels hanging out in a tree. There was one squirrel that was about half the size of the other ones, he was the runt of the litter I assume. He almost fell out of the tree a couple of times, but caught himself. It made me nervous, but I didn’t do anything about it because he was in his habitat with his other siblings. This morning he was found dead on the sidewalk where I am thinking he fell out of the tree. I have cried a couple times today regarding the death. I am absolutely heartbroken. I also feel guilty like I could have saved him. If I only knew that he was going to die, I could’ve took him in yesterday and found a certified rehabilitator. But at the same time I would’ve had to take him from his home and family so I’m not sure what the right thing I could have done since he wasn’t abandoned… I’m just overwhelmed with sadness and guilt. He was so precious it just breaks my heart to pieces. I’m not really sure what type of answer I am looking for. I just am so heartbroken over this and am grieving over the little baby squirrel. I become very attached to the wildlife critters in my yard and I spend a lot of time outside with them. So even if they’re not my pets, the grief is heavy and not everyone understands that feeling unless they love wildlife themselves… I figured this would be a good place to share my feelings with other people who love squirrels. Thank you for your time.

Hello Squirrelfriends,

I'm very sorry this happened and it has affected you so deeply. Life has cruel and sad moments but we have no control over nature and wild animals. None of us can see the future and thus this baby's death is not your fault. How could you know this awful tragedy was going to happen ?? Yes, its very sad but there's nothing to feel guilty about when you don't know the future. What could you have done to save him ??

Time will heal your grief but let go of the guilt - was not your fault. Thank you so much for caring for squirrels.

Mr.SSG

Chirps
04-24-2024, 12:44 AM
Hi! Yes, you came to the right place. Everyone here understands how you feel. It sounds like you weighed all the pros and cons of whether to intervene for this baby. Even though this baby wasn't dealt a winning hand, it was where it was meant to be, even if only for too short a time. Please don't beat yourself up if you are. Grieve, yes! Mourn, absolutely! Thank you for caring about this little life.

Squirrelfriends
04-25-2024, 11:23 PM
Hello Squirrelfriends,

I'm very sorry this happened and it has affected you so deeply. Life has cruel and sad moments but we have no control over nature and wild animals. None of us can see the future and thus this baby's death is not your fault. How could you know this awful tragedy was going to happen ?? Yes, its very sad but there's nothing to feel guilty about when you don't know the future. What could you have done to save him ??

Time will heal your grief but let go of the guilt - was not your fault. Thank you so much for caring for squirrels.

Mr.SSG

Thank you for your response Mr.SSG. Your words mean a lot and help with moving through the grief over the baby. You are right that there are cruel and sad moments that we have no control over in life… that is something I have to remind myself of... Thank you again for your time responding. In his next squirrel lifetime he will be strong and healthy I believe.

Squirrelfriends
04-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Hi! Yes, you came to the right place. Everyone here understands how you feel. It sounds like you weighed all the pros and cons of whether to intervene for this baby. Even though this baby wasn't dealt a winning hand, it was where it was meant to be, even if only for too short a time. Please don't beat yourself up if you are. Grieve, yes! Mourn, absolutely! Thank you for caring about this little life.

Thank you for your thoughtful response Chirps. Yes you make a great point, that even though the baby was here for a short time, it was where it was meant to be. Seeing him in the tree was such a special moment and a memory I will hold onto forever. His next lifetime it’ll be his turn to be dealt a full winning deck of cards.
Thank you again for your time and response. I appreciate your kindness.

Charley Chuckles
04-26-2024, 06:52 AM
I'm sorry this happened and it tugs at our hearts because squirrels are so magical 💕
I believe that little one knew you cared 💖

supersquirrelgirl
04-26-2024, 10:22 AM
Hi Squirrelfriends,

Death is part of the life cycle. Its sad when it happens but it reminds us how precious life really is. Makes us appreciate being alive. The death of this young squirrel has caused you sadness because of your caring & loving nature. You are a good person.

Take care and be strong. We need people like you in this world. Find peace and carry on.

Mr.SSG

nikkicreatesart
04-26-2024, 12:18 PM
I completely get your feelings, I get them same ones when I see something tragic happen. I will say this, As awful as it is, he had a young life filled with warmth and snuggles and family. If there was any suffering, it was short. So many of the babies we help go through so much. Keep your kind heart <3