PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Seems like it may be Aspiration Pneumonia (TX)

EverestXTwo
03-21-2024, 09:36 AM
We recently rescued 2 squirrels (approximately 5 weeks old). The mommy squirrel was found dead a few days prior, in the area where we found the babies.. ��

They are both eating the formula well, sleep well, and are alert and friendly. We are concerned though, because one of the squirrels is making sound as he breathes. It sounds like it’s coming from his nose. We tried to listen to his lungs but we are not sure.

Could this be aspiration pneumonia? If so, are there any vets who would treat him in Texas area (near Austin and/ or Houston)?

We want to help the baby squirrels stay healthy until they can be released— We appreciate your help very much!!

island rehabber
03-21-2024, 09:52 AM
Thank you for saving these babies. A few questions: do you hear the sound on both the inhale and exhale as the baby breathes? Was there any blood on the baby's nose signifying that he may have fallen head first and banged up his nose? If it is aspiration pneumonia you will need antibiotics which are prescription only. We can help you dose Cipro or clavamox if you have either. The best would be Baytril if you or a friend or family member have some left over from their dog or cat as it must be prescribed by a vet.

In the meantime are you feeding them with a syringe and nipple attachment? Please don't use those baby bottles, they are a really good way to cause aspiration pneumonia. :(.

I don't know if we have any squirrel friendly vets on file in your area but we may be able to contact a rehabilitator for you.. Someone with experience in raising baby squirrels is really your best bet.

island rehabber
03-21-2024, 09:57 AM
These folks seem pretty legit to me:

austinwildliferescue.org

CritterMom
03-21-2024, 10:12 AM
Contact friends and family and see if anyone has even just ONE antibiotic pill or capsule leftover from some past illness - find out what it is and the size in milligrams and come back and tell us that and the weight of the baby and we can help you dose providing you find something appropriate. You will need a 1ml syringe to do this. Your baby should be being nursed with nothing larger than a 1ml syringe as well, BTW.

EverestXTwo
03-21-2024, 03:12 PM
I was able to find:

- Terra-Vet 200 (oxytetracycline) 200 mg/ ml by Aspen

- and UVL biotec factor which contains florfenicol 300mg, tilosina 100 mg, and vehiculo C. B. P 1ml by uvl lab

I really hope one of these would work 🤞🙏

CritterMom
03-21-2024, 03:32 PM
I was able to find:

- and UVL biotec factor which contains florfenicol 300mg, tilosina 100 mg, and vehiculo C. B. P 1ml by uvl lab

I really hope one of these would work 🤞🙏

Ugh. I have no idea about either of these. The first is obviously a veterinary med and a tetracycline drug, which means that expiration date is very important. Most antibiotics can be used well past their exp date but the tetracyclines are not.

What about HUMAN antibiotics?

Cipro
Amoxicillin clavulanate
Amoxicillin
Bactrim

All commonly prescribed to people.

EverestXTwo
03-21-2024, 03:52 PM
Unfortunately no human antibiotics.. 😢 Thank you so much for your help

CritterMom
03-21-2024, 04:07 PM
Can you get an exp date from the oxytetracycline? I don't know if anyone else can dose it but I will hunt.

Spanky
03-21-2024, 04:23 PM

Can you tell us if what you have is for injection or oral use?

CritterMom
03-21-2024, 05:40 PM
Can you tell us if what you have is for injection or oral use?

And can we get the weight of the baby?

EverestXTwo
03-22-2024, 10:40 AM
Good news— we were able to get amoxicillin 500mg for human. What is the dosage?? He is 100g.

Yes, we feed them using 1cc syringe ��

Mel1959
03-22-2024, 10:43 AM
I will send dosing in a pm.

Spanky
03-22-2024, 10:48 AM
Good news— we were able to get amoxicillin 500mg for human. What is the dosage?? He is 100g.

Yes, we feed them using 1cc syringe ��

Dosing sent via PM.

Spanky
03-22-2024, 10:50 AM
Good news— we were able to get amoxicillin 500mg for human.

I would go ahead and start the amoxicillin, but if you are able to find Augmentin (amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid) or Cipro (ciprofloxacin) or Baytril (Enrofloxacin), those are preferred over amoxicillin for AP.

EverestXTwo
03-22-2024, 11:10 AM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH 🙏
Will follow the instructions throughly and give updates in a few days

EverestXTwo
04-25-2024, 10:58 AM
CHIPRO definitely would work much better than amoxicillin for squirrel aspiration pneumonia.

I appreciate all your help very much through out the emergency.

I wanted to give you an update as a thank you 😊

A happy squirrel hanging out on a tree 🌳 Loves climbing, exploring, and munching on snacks! :Love_Icon

supersquirrelgirl
04-25-2024, 09:50 PM
Hello, Squirrels are about 8~9 weeks now so I'm curious how you are given them Amox AB ?? (by syringe or nuts)

Mr.SSG