PDA

View Full Version : Sad news, but questions for next time...

nikkicreatesart
03-09-2024, 08:47 PM
So sadly the two little boys I received into my care did not make it. I am so incredibly sad. The reason why I am posting is because they both arched their back and stuck out their limbs straight out, like a grotesque superman, and then it looked like intermittent seizing before passing. I want to know if there was something else I should have done in case I can prevent or help it next time. Here is the whole case history as far as I know:

3 days ago according to the family's facebook post the babies showed up in their driveway. Being in this state, of course everyone's hands were tied, and they got conflicting info. Based on pictures they used bottles to feed (the kind you get for baby kittens/puppies, and the bag of milk they offered when i got them was by Manna Pro- i think it was the kid milk but could have been the unimilk. I was contacted two days later by a mutual friend that rehabs birds and knew I successfully rehabbed a squirrel last summer and took it very seriously, especially with all the knowledge I got here. When we texted I told them to make the homemade pedialyte and gave the recipe I got here: 4 cups water, 3 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt. They gave it to them and she said one of them perked up a lot but the other still seemed puny. I got them as soon as I was done teaching, at 3:30 and they were wrapped up in old clothing but still cold. I got them on a heating pad, and once their body temp was warm gave them some homemade pedialyte. One of them still seemed okay, alert and wanting to curl up in a ball. The other was splayed out and barely took any liquid. Then he did the arched back superman spasm. I did a quick google search and the closest match to that symptom was on henry's site in regards to hypoglycemia. I put a little honey on his gums and got him back into the warmth. ( while holding I had him against my chest in my bare hands to keep him warm. I sat with them but didn't want to disturb them too much. About an hour later when I wanted to dry giving a little more fluids and check dehydration reflex, I found the little one that had spasmed had died. By this point I had also heard clicking, so had gotten dosing for Baytril and gave the first dose to the surviving one. He took it ok. I also got a tiny bit of Esibiliac (the powdered 0-6 weeks one) milk in him. Then I got him back on the pad. About two hours later he did the same "superman spasm" and he didnt want anything I offered, so I held him and stroked him gently so he wouldn't go alone. He had some what appeared to be singular convulsions, like one and then 20 minutes later another. He died within the hour. When my husband took the carrier they had put them in, he noticed oats on the bottom.

I absolutely hated being able to do nothing for them. Is there anything I missed? Or was it just too long with inappropriate nutrition and probably aspiration pneumonia on top? Again, I just want to make sure I am as knowledgeable as possible in case more come into my care in the future. My guy was perfectly healthy, just following everyone in the neighborhood and I had immediately found this forum so I had done exactly what I did above- got him warm, then hydrated, then fed and alternated and he did great.

Sorry this is a super long post- I just know that details can change everything so wanted to be as thorough as I could. Thank you for getting this far.

TomahawkFlyers
03-09-2024, 09:32 PM
Your effort was superhuman, and these babies left this life bathed in love and compassion. You used all of the resources you had at hand, and you sought the additional information you needed to give these kids even a remote chance of surviving. What more could anyone ask?

My take, for what it is worth, is that these kids had already seen God's face when they came into your care. It was just a matter of time. Having said that, Maybe these thoughts might be helpful. Keep in mind that while I am a senior member here, there are others whose expertise towers over mine. No doubt they will reply with answers that have more meat on them.

1. The family who found them, while well-meaning, probably fed the babies things that they could not process. Nutrients were not getting around in their systems, and that made things even more fragile than at the start of the rescue. Hypoglycemic shock was certainly looming - no nutrients means no blood sugars.

2. You wrote that the squirrels were cold when they were given to you and that you warmed them before providing the hydration. You also wrote that your neighbors gave hydration solution to them. Since they were cold when you got them, I do wonder if, in a panic to do the "right thing" and get them hydrated, they skipped the step of heating the squirrels up first. No fingers to be pointed, no blame to be had. Everyone was trying. Hard. The thing is that hydrating a cold squirrel is so dangerous as to be deadly. Add this to the likely mis-feeding and subsequent malnourishment and likely hypoglycemic shock, and I don't think these babies had a chance.

3. In the process of giving the hydration fluid, and not knowing any better, I wonder if they held the squirrels as humans would hold their babies while bottle feeding them. If they did, and they used larger nipples and fed a little too fast, the babies had no choice but to inhale liquid into their lungs. Aspiration Pneumonia is all but certain if that happened. You were not able to respond with the Baytril in time to save them.

I wouldn't say anything to your neighbors about appropriate conditions for hydration, or how squirrels develop AP. It might just make them feel terrible about having tried to be compassionate. Perhaps, if there is a next time, ask them to please do NOTHING other than to gather them up and keep them warm and contact you immediately.

You sound shaken, and it is no wonder why. Try to keep in mind that it takes a special person to react to a situation like this in all of the ways you did. Take comfort in your having helped these babies to peace and for being who you are.

Jamie

Charley Chuckles
03-09-2024, 09:35 PM
You did all you could:grouphug
They were loved ❤️

Shellysfriend
03-09-2024, 09:40 PM
I’m eager to hear what the pros have to say but it sure sounds like a solid attempt from here. I’d like to thank you for giving them a warm, safe, loving passing. I wish peace for them and for you!

nikkicreatesart
03-09-2024, 10:29 PM
Your effort was superhuman, and these babies left this life bathed in love and compassion. You used all of the resources you had at hand, and you sought the additional information you needed to give these kids even a remote chance of surviving. What more could anyone ask?

My take, for what it is worth, is that these kids had already seen God's face when they came into your care. It was just a matter of time. Having said that, Maybe these thoughts might be helpful. Keep in mind that while I am a senior member here, there are others whose expertise towers over mine. No doubt they will reply with answers that have more meat on them.

1. The family who found them, while well-meaning, probably fed the babies things that they could not process. Nutrients were not getting around in their systems, and that made things even more fragile than at the start of the rescue. Hypoglycemic shock was certainly looming - no nutrients means no blood sugars.

2. You wrote that the squirrels were cold when they were given to you and that you warmed them before providing the hydration. You also wrote that your neighbors gave hydration solution to them. Since they were cold when you got them, I do wonder if, in a panic to do the "right thing" and get them hydrated, they skipped the step of heating the squirrels up first. No fingers to be pointed, no blame to be had. Everyone was trying. Hard. The thing is that hydrating a cold squirrel is so dangerous as to be deadly. Add this to the likely mis-feeding and subsequent malnourishment and likely hypoglycemic shock, and I don't think these babies had a chance.

3. In the process of giving the hydration fluid, and not knowing any better, I wonder if they held the squirrels as humans would hold their babies while bottle feeding them. If they did, and they used larger nipples and fed a little too fast, the babies had no choice but to inhale liquid into their lungs. Aspiration Pneumonia is all but certain if that happened. You were not able to respond with the Baytril in time to save them.

I wouldn't say anything to your neighbors about appropriate conditions for hydration, or how squirrels develop AP. It might just make them feel terrible about having tried to be compassionate. Perhaps, if there is a next time, ask them to please do NOTHING other than to gather them up and keep them warm and contact you immediately.

You sound shaken, and it is no wonder why. Try to keep in mind that it takes a special person to react to a situation like this in all of the ways you did. Take comfort in your having helped these babies to peace and for being who you are.

Jamie

I totally agree with the don't tell the neighbors so as they feel at fault- they are really sweet people who didn't know any better. If we didn't have these ridiculous laws regarding saving squirrels better information would have probably been available- at the very least rehabbers they could have reached earlier with appropriate advice if they couldn't take them in. Also- I am going to follow your advice on the "tell them to just keep them warm and do nothing else". And I also got great advice from Sammy'sMom if you don't have a heating pad how to make a warm sock full of rice. So I'll be able to suggest that as well.

Thank you for such the kind, compassionate response. It means a lot, truly. And that goes for the other sweet responses in this thread. This community is just so supportive.

island rehabber
03-10-2024, 07:31 AM
Jamie (tomahawkflyers) said it thoroughly and perfectly. I also encourage you to always tell a finder not to do anything except keep them warm. Warm Dark and Quiet. First we warm them, then we hydrate them, THEN we feed them. You truly did everything you could have and then some. :grouphug

CritterMom
03-10-2024, 08:50 AM
I am so sorry you lost the second baby - I was so hoping that after the first one passed that the second one would be able to make it.

Yes to everything said here...and in the event this happens again and you get a baby that has been fed ANYTHING by the finder, )because even in the extremely unlikely chance that they would feed the right formula, very few people have 1ml syringes lying around the house to use, and a trip to petco will get them big baby bottles, which are as deadly to something that size as a bullet), I would very strongly suggest that you use the antibiotics prophylactically - before you see symptoms and used preventively. Because a bottle fed baby is almost guaranteed to aspirate. The symptoms that should be paid attention to - lethargy and fussy eating - is normal for a baby in bad shape - and the symptoms that people actually pay attention to - the clicking, is LATE STAGE A/P.

Has there ever been a baby squirrel successfully nursed with a bottle? Probably. But the chances are small and I personally don't think that waiting for something that is most likely going to happen makes any sense if you can nip it in the bud with meds before it really gets going.

nikkicreatesart
03-10-2024, 09:38 PM
I am so sorry you lost the second baby - I was so hoping that after the first one passed that the second one would be able to make it.

Yes to everything said here...and in the event this happens again and you get a baby that has been fed ANYTHING by the finder, )because even in the extremely unlikely chance that they would feed the right formula, very few people have 1ml syringes lying around the house to use, and a trip to petco will get them big baby bottles, which are as deadly to something that size as a bullet), I would very strongly suggest that you use the antibiotics prophylactically - before you see symptoms and used preventively. Because a bottle fed baby is almost guaranteed to aspirate. The symptoms that should be paid attention to - lethargy and fussy eating - is normal for a baby in bad shape - and the symptoms that people actually pay attention to - the clicking, is LATE STAGE A/P.

Has there ever been a baby squirrel successfully nursed with a bottle? Probably. But the chances are small and I personally don't think that waiting for something that is most likely going to happen makes any sense if you can nip it in the bud with meds before it really gets going.

I’ve already ordered a new bottle in case I get babies again. I read that once opened the baytril is only good for 14 days and don’t want to take a chance. Thank you everyone- it makes me feel a lot better that it wasn’t something I missed or should have done.

Chirps
03-12-2024, 03:26 PM
Hi nikkicreatesart, just seeing this. Let me add my condolences. So heartbreaking after trying so hard.