PDA

View Full Version : Need Help for our sweet George.

Huneysquirrel
02-14-2024, 08:16 PM
Hello, my name is Stephanie, and I live in the Denver metro area. My family and I have been taking care of a squirrel since it was run over by a lawn mower as a baby. The squirrel, whom we named George, is now 8 years old. Recently, we have noticed swelling in his left eye. Upon further investigation and handling George, we discovered a mass above the pupil that looks like gray marble. We are unsure if it is a result of an injury, benign or malignant. However, there is no ocular discharge, inflammation, or signs of pain. Although the growth becomes more visible when lifting the eyelid, George is still eating and drinking normally, and his spirits are high. Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas about what this is?
I do have photos but unable to attach at this time.
Thank you for the help.

SamtheSquirrel2018
02-15-2024, 04:55 AM
Hello, my name is Stephanie, and I live in the Denver metro area. My family and I have been taking care of a squirrel since it was run over by a lawn mower as a baby. The squirrel, whom we named George, is now 8 years old. Recently, we have noticed swelling in his left eye. Upon further investigation and handling George, we discovered a mass above the pupil that looks like gray marble. We are unsure if it is a result of an injury, benign or malignant. However, there is no ocular discharge, inflammation, or signs of pain. Although the growth becomes more visible when lifting the eyelid, George is still eating and drinking normally, and his spirits are high. Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas about what this is?
I do have photos but unable to attach at this time.
Thank you for the help.

Hello Huneysquirrel and George:
Thanks for finding The Squirrel Board!
Photos would be essential for any of us to attempt to render an opinion as what might be going on with George's eye! To upload a photo, click on the 6th button from the right on the second row of buttons that are located just below the Title Box of your thread. When you hoover your cursor over this button, the pop-up will state "upload image." The file types must be one of these; jpg, jpeg, png or gif.

Does George have some disability or permanent problems of some sort that resulted from his tangling with the lawnmower that made his a Non-releasable Squirrel or did you simply decide to keep him? This is not asked judgmentally, only for background! Also, for background, does George have any medical problems or take any medications?

Does this "swelling" or "mass" appear to be inside or on George's eye itself or just close to his eye?

Just in case, do you have a Squirrel-friendly Veterinarian their in Denver or better yet, has George been seen in the past by Veterinarian there?

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

Huneysquirrel
02-15-2024, 11:08 AM

Huneysquirrel
02-15-2024, 11:15 AM
Hello SamtheSquirrel,

Thank you for the help, I have attached a photo.

There seems to be a growth above the pupil of George's eye, which appears to be a part of the eyeball itself. However, George does not show any discomfort or irritation, and he is not squinting or rubbing his eye. While we have rehabilitated and released many squirrels, George has stayed with us as he has become attached to us, although he does not have any disabilities. He has not seen a veterinarian or been prescribed any medications. Although I work in the veterinary industry, the veterinarians I work with only handle canines and felines. However, I may be able to obtain medications for George.

SamtheSquirrel2018
02-15-2024, 11:40 AM
Hello SamtheSquirrel,

Thank you for the help, I have attached a photo.

There seems to be a growth above the pupil of George's eye, which appears to be a part of the eyeball itself. However, George does not show any discomfort or irritation, and he is not squinting or rubbing his eye. While we have rehabilitated and released many squirrels, George has stayed with us as he has become attached to us, although he does not have any disabilities. He has not seen a veterinarian or been prescribed any medications. Although I work in the veterinary industry, the veterinarians I work with only handle canines and felines. However, I may be able to obtain medications for George.

Thanks for the photo, HuneySquirrel! I do need to tell you that I am not a Veterinarian and I am not an ophthalmologist so I am not giving you any professional opinions, only my own! While this single photo suggests "something" in the region of the eye you have mentioned and does give some indication that the cornea over the pupil is smooth and evenly curved, your photo becomes quickly pixilated with enlargement and if I could trouble you once again to try to get several more close-up photos of the eye from different angles with at least one shot aimed directly at the affected eye. Sorry to bother you with this additional request but I believe it may help. Others, of course may have an opinion based upon this single photo.
Please say 'hello' to George for me!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel