PDA

View Full Version : HHB for boo balls??

Jbow87
11-21-2023, 03:36 PM
Hello! So our little Nutter Butter has decided to become picky. She is not finishing all of her henrys blocks anymore (her favorites are the healthy and the wild bites) she does not like the picky eaters hardly at all… I give her Henry’s blocks first thing in the morning, she has got to where she won’t eat them hardly at all throughout the day.

Can I use Henry’s blocks as my base for boo balls? She will eat boo balls but I usually have only been feeding boo balls as a snack or treat after everything else has been ate. She has started to eat dry food and sometimes will eat dry food over everything else. But I worry about her not eating all of her Henry’s blocks. I am going to make homemade blocks for her starting soon I was just trying to make it through the batches of Henry’s that I have. If I use them as my base and limit her to 3 of those a day would that be adequate vitamins?

I am editing to add, I meant giving her about three of these a day along with Henry’s blocks seeing as how her Henry’s she may eat one total throughout the day.

Thank you all again!

Charley Chuckles
11-22-2023, 02:23 PM
Many times I've doctored up HHB 👍

CritterMom
11-22-2023, 03:10 PM
The only issue with this is that the HHBs are pretty precisely formulated - specific levels of vitamins and minerals - with the intention of 2-3 of them providing all of the nutrients they need. That means that every item you add to them to turn them into Boo balls also changes all of those levels - you are basically diluting them with the other ingredients. Now, with a lot of research on the nutritional makeup of the other ingredients, a sensitive gram scale, a good calculator and time, you could figure all of that out, but the basic net result if that if they are the same weight, you would need to feed more boo balls than you would HHBs to compensate for the addition of the other ingredients.

I "gussy up" HHBs all the time for healthy treats, etc., or if my flyer, Laz is being a pill about eating the HHBs straight, but I try to stick to the originals for nutrition's sake.

Just in case you want to look up the other ingredients in your boo balls (because there are a million different recipes out there and did you know that Boo was an actual squirrel and he was one of ours here at TSB), this is an excellent site to use: https://www.nutritionvalue.org/

Charley Chuckles
11-22-2023, 03:38 PM
The only issue with this is that the HHBs are pretty precisely formulated - specific levels of vitamins and minerals - with the intention of 2-3 of them providing all of the nutrients they need. That means that every item you add to them to turn them into Boo balls also changes all of those levels - you are basically diluting them with the other ingredients. Now, with a lot of research on the nutritional makeup of the other ingredients, a sensitive gram scale, a good calculator and time, you could figure all of that out, but the basic net result if that if they are the same weight, you would need to feed more boo balls than you would HHBs to compensate for the addition of the other ingredients.

I "gussy up" HHBs all the time for healthy treats, etc., or if my flyer, Laz is being a pill about eating the HHBs straight, but I try to stick to the originals for nutrition's sake.

Just in case you want to look up the other ingredients in your boo balls (because there are a million different recipes out there and did you know that Boo was an actual squirrel and he was one of ours here at TSB), this is an excellent site to use: https://www.nutritionvalue.org/

Yes I should have clarified I don't use the boo ball recipe I just mash the HHB add some jar baby food or a small amount of coconut oil just to get them to eat them.👍