PDA

View Full Version : New to Squirrels

FireFly07
09-24-2023, 07:24 PM
I'm a sub permitie to help wildlife. I've helped rehab many different species in the past as needed. However, I've been focusing on other things, until 6 days ago walking our dogs a baby squirrel came up yelling after us. Upon looking at a nearby tree we found 2 fully furred dead emaciated babies being eaten by bugs and the one that ran up to us as well as one more barely alive. They are currently stable. But no one has offered any advice specific to this case so I thought I would come here. I will be making a post in the emergency section now as I have never seen babies so emacited before, expect on this site. Hopefully I will get better advice.

Mel1959
09-25-2023, 06:40 AM
This is my recommendation. I hope others that have dealt with an emaciated squirrel will chime in if what I’m suggesting is wrong.

Have you rehydrated? Rehydrate with clear pedialyte or homemade hydration solution. You want to do that thoroughly before offering formula. They will need extra hydration. After they’re rehydrated offer diluted formula slowly. Begin by mixing the formula 1 part powder to 3 parts water, instead of the normal 2 parts water. Feed smaller amounts more frequently. There is a condition called re-feeding syndrome where too much nutrition given too quickly can overload the digestive system. You want to prevent that from happening.

Gradually decrease the water till you are at the proper formulation……but not too gradually…..they will need the calories. This transition should take a day or two.

Can you post a picture? Post pictures by scrolling down and clicking on the “manage attachments” button. You can then upload a picture from your files.