PDA

View Full Version : How long for diarrhea to resolve!

Lisadtis
09-23-2023, 01:32 AM
Rocky is still very sick and I feel like it’s touch and go. He went down hill Wednesday at around 3 with extreme lethargy and diarrhea. I’ve been awake since he got sick, hydrating him every hour at first with water and sugar and now giving goats milk and yogurt along with a critical care formula high in calories. I’m also giving Sq fluids. I’ve tried Metronidazole, pepto and kaopectate for the diarrhea but it continues. Last night I thought he was getting a little better then today, he is almost lifeless and continues to have watery diarrhea. I expect to find him passed away every time I check on him and he has lost a great deal of weight. He also has abscess I’ve been cleaning and draining. And he is on baytril and an anti inflammatory for pain. I also gave him small amount of probiotic. He’s a tough little guy and definitely not a quitter. I’ve been up two nights and not sure how much longer I can. I just want him to feel better. I feel like I’m losing him. So just wanted an idea of when the diarrhea should be resolving. Thank u

Spanky
09-23-2023, 07:22 AM
I consider switching form Baytril to Bactrim or Augmentin if the infection continues... I just wonder if the infection has gone systemic?

My go to for these difficult diarrhea cases when they are so weak and failing is Fox Valley DiaStat but that is an on-line only thing that takes a few days to arrive.

There is a place called The Squirrel Refuge in Vancouver if that is an option, but even calling they may be able to refer to to some help closer by? Mention TSB referred you.
https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/

Lisadtis
09-23-2023, 10:03 AM
I consider switching form Baytril to Bactrim or Augmentin if the infection continues... I just wonder if the infection has gone systemic?

My go to for these difficult diarrhea cases when they are so weak and failing is Fox Valley DiaStat but that is an on-line only thing that takes a few days to arrive.

There is a place called The Squirrel Refuge in Vancouver if that is an option, but even calling they may be able to refer to to some help closer by? Mention TSB referred you.
https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/

Thank you, I ordered the fox valley diastat right now and it will be here Monday but I’ll call that store too. The abscess was draining yesterday but it was clear this morning so I’m hoping it’s clearing up. I will look into the other antibiotics. Should I continue the pepto or kaopectate? I also have metronidazole but only gave two doses a few days ago and stopped because was worried it was upsetting his GI. Should I try that again? Thank you

Spanky
09-23-2023, 10:35 AM
Good news on the drainage clearing... is he improving in other ways at all today? I so hope and pray that is the case.

Giving some Pepto/Kaopectate (they have the same active ingredients) is not a bad idea.

The DiaStat has extra calories and easily digestible sugars in addition to target normalizing stools. The extra calories are helpful when they get really weak.

Is he still on the exotic nutrition formula (of he is taking formula at all)? If yes, and the FV has not arrived, I'd recommend using the homemade goats milk formula temporarily:
1 Cup Goats Milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup yogurt (full fat, no fruit.. vanilla or plain)

Diggie's Friend
09-23-2023, 01:17 PM
With any antibiotic treatment, especially Baytril, because it reduces the level of good digestive bacteria in the gut; adding beneficial bacteria is a must!

For nursing young, there is, "Benebac" in a tube, or you can just get a lactobacillus and bacteria species from the market.

This is an example of a source of probiotics for pets. Most markets have a source of lactobacillus strain probiotics. There is also Stonyfield whole fat Probiotic that is more fortified that regular yogurt in probiotics that you can included also. Check at Target. Both sure couldn't hurt.

https://www.target.com/p/stonyfield-organic-probiotic-vanilla-whole-milk-yogurt-32oz/-/A-17034941?ref=tgt_adv_xsp&AFID=google&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000108264730&CPNG=PLA_Dairy%2BFrozen%2BShopping_Local%7CDairy%2 BFrozen_Ecomm_Food_Bev&adgroup=SC_Dairy%2BFrozen&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=1014279&targetid=pla-363033074084&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjLf2963BgQMVbwCtBh0XBAtKEAQYBCAB EgJXPvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lisadtis
09-23-2023, 01:39 PM
Good news on the drainage clearing... is he improving in other ways at all today? I so hope and pray that is the case.

Giving some Pepto/Kaopectate (they have the same active ingredients) is not a bad idea.

The DiaStat has extra calories and easily digestible sugars in addition to target normalizing stools. The extra calories are helpful when they get really weak.

Is he still on the exotic nutrition formula (of he is taking formula at all)? If yes, and the FV has not arrived, I'd recommend using the homemade goats milk formula temporarily:
1 Cup Goats Milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup yogurt (full fat, no fruit.. vanilla or plain)

This morning at 8 he seemed to be perking up but checked on him an hour and half later and he is dumpy and doesn’t want to move. I’ve been checking on him every 1.5 hours and I’m giving the goat milk with yogurt no cream,extra water, and the critical care. He is not eating on his own I’m slowly giving it. I would say I give 1 ml of goat milk, 1.5 ml critical care and 1 ml water every couple hrs. Not all gets swallowed. His hydration seems better today. Still having diarrhea bad. Doesn’t have fever.

Lisadtis
09-23-2023, 03:13 PM
This morning at 8 he seemed to be perking up but checked on him an hour and half later and he is dumpy and doesn’t want to move. I’ve been checking on him every 1.5 hours and I’m giving the goat milk with yogurt no cream,extra water, and the critical care. He is not eating on his own I’m slowly giving it. I would say I give 1 ml of goat milk, 1.5 ml critical care and 1 ml water every couple hrs. Not all gets swallowed. His hydration seems better today. Still having diarrhea bad. Doesn’t have fever.

Just got home from store, checked on Rocky and he was active, talking and started eating on his own!!! Hoping we are truly on the mend now. There were a few times I really didn’t think he was going to make it. I see alot of sleep in my future, lol

Spanky
09-23-2023, 03:42 PM
Just got home from store, checked on Rocky and he was active, talking and started eating on his own!!! Hoping we are truly on the mend now. There were a few times I really didn’t think he was going to make it. I see alot of sleep in my future, lol

Keep on improving Rocky!!!! I am very happy for Rocky and you both! :bliss