PDA

View Full Version : Found an injured baby - need advice

Summerc25
09-20-2023, 08:36 PM
We found a baby that fell from a very tall tree yesterday. I've raised baby squirrels before but he seems to have no use of his back legs. I think he is 4 weeks old bc his eyes are not open but bottom teeth are in. Bought formula from the pet store and gave him some pedialyte. I have prednisone from one of my dogs if there is a way to get a tiny bit off for him but I don't know how much. He peed some today but no poop yet. Yesterday he pooped in the box he was in before we fed him. I may have gabapentin too. Will look through my dog medicine cabinet. Tried to find a rehabbed but there are none near me and I don't want him to just be killed. I'm afraid to take him to a vet bc you are not supposed to have them here unless you are a rehabbed. Any thoughts on what I can do to help him? Ty in advance!

CritterMom
09-21-2023, 02:36 AM
Tell us what formula you got exactly. Pet stores usually recommend the wrong stuff.

We can help you dose your baby but we need info from you.

We need the baby's weight. A scale that weighs in grams can be purchased at Walmart inexpensively - in kitchenwares. YOU will need a 1ml or smaller syringe without the needle. We will need to know the size of the prednisone pills in milligrams.

The sooner meds begin the better the chances for the baby.

You also need to read this: https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Summerc25
09-21-2023, 06:00 AM
Tell us what formula you got exactly. Pet stores usually recommend the wrong stuff.

We can help you dose your baby but we need info from you.

We need the baby's weight. A scale that weighs in grams can be purchased at Walmart inexpensively - in kitchenwares. YOU will need a 1ml or smaller syringe without the needle. We will need to know the size of the prednisone pills in milligrams.

The sooner meds begin the better the chances for the baby.

You also need to read this: https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Thanks for the link, I did read that site and several others. He weighs 94 grams this morning. We got the esbilac puppy formula premixed so we’ve been mixing it with filtered water. Last time I raised a squirrel I had gnc formula and it seemed good bc he was very healthy but the pet store no longer had it. I did not have gabapentin left but I have 10 mg prednisone and 75 mg vetprofin (not sure either can be used, just telling what I have). I bought multiple syringes and the tip and all he seems to do best with and that comes out one drop at a time, is an adjustable dose syringe. Should I order different formula from online?

Spanky
09-21-2023, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the link, I did read that site and several others. He weighs 94 grams this morning. We got the esbilac puppy formula premixed so we’ve been mixing it with filtered water. Last time I raised a squirrel I had gnc formula and it seemed good bc he was very healthy but the pet store no longer had it. I did not have gabapentin left but I have 10 mg prednisone and 75 mg vetprofin (not sure either can be used, just telling what I have). I bought multiple syringes and the tip and all he seems to do best with and that comes out one drop at a time, is an adjustable dose syringe. Should I order different formula from online?

The Esbilac powdered formula is the best for squirrels under 4 weeks, but the premixed liquid almost always causes diarrhea and it is not nutritionally sufficient for baby squirrels (I know, weird but the liquid and powder are very different). And after 4 weeks I personally use a mix of half Esbilac and half Fox Valley 20/50 (on-line only) until weaning.

Prednisone dosing sent via PM... PLEASE keep us updated on his progress... especially before starting days 4 and 7 as we may tweak the protocol depending on his progress...

Summerc25
09-21-2023, 09:55 AM
The Esbilac powdered formula is the best for squirrels under 4 weeks, but the premixed liquid almost always causes diarrhea and it is not nutritionally sufficient for baby squirrels (I know, weird but the liquid and powder are very different). And after 4 weeks I personally use a mix of half Esbilac and half Fox Valley 20/50 (on-line only) until weaning.

Prednisone dosing sent via PM... PLEASE keep us updated on his progress... especially before starting days 4 and 7 as we may tweak the protocol depending on his progress...

Tyssssm Spanky❤️ I will keep updating

Summerc25
09-21-2023, 09:36 PM
I found the fox valley32/40 on Amazon but the 20/50 is out of stock. It’s the Henry’s store front. Should I go ahead and get that to get it here faster? He’s doing good, finally pooped but only like two tiny ones. Is that normal? Definitely enjoying meal time more. Just started the pred. After work so first dose at 6:30pm and will give it again 6:30am.

Summerc25
09-21-2023, 09:37 PM
Oh and I went and got the powdered esbilac after work.

CritterMom
09-22-2023, 05:00 AM
I found the fox valley32/40 on Amazon but the 20/50 is out of stock. It’s the Henry’s store front. Should I go ahead and get that to get it here faster? He’s doing good, finally pooped but only like two tiny ones. Is that normal? Definitely enjoying meal time more. Just started the pred. After work so first dose at 6:30pm and will give it again 6:30am.

NO. Do not get the 32/40. Just about everyoe has trouble - or their babies do - with that, which is why it isn't sold out. Keep checking the Henry's site - she will get in a couple dozen and put them up and they sell fast, look multiple times a day...

Summerc25
09-22-2023, 06:31 PM
NO. Do not get the 32/40. Just about everyoe has trouble - or their babies do - with that, which is why it isn't sold out. Keep checking the Henry's site - she will get in a couple dozen and put them up and they sell fast, look multiple times a day...

Ok I’ve been checking on and off all day and they only have the huge pack that’s like $100. I found some on fox valleys site but it ships ups ground. May go ahead and order it though. New problem. My 20 yr old nephew has been feeding him while I’m at work the last few days. He’s been careful and great with him but today I could tell he was upset when I got home and he said too much formula came out and milk came out of his nose. He turned him upside down too drain it but I’m really worried. How quick can we tell if he gets aspiration pneumonia?

CritterMom
09-22-2023, 06:41 PM
You will likely know in a couple days. Might be a good idea to get proactive and start hunting for antibiotics NOW.

Are you using a 1ml syringe and nipple to feed? You should be. They give you a lot more control.

Summerc25
09-22-2023, 06:53 PM
You will likely know in a couple days. Might be a good idea to get proactive and start hunting for antibiotics NOW.

Are you using a 1ml syringe and nipple to feed? You should be. They give you a lot more control.

No, we have a 1ml syringe and the short tip doesn’t go in his mouth well and it runs out on him instead of into his mouth. I bought bottles too. Do we put one of the nipples on the 1ml syringe? Will definitely try. I bought multiple syringes and this one was only doing a drop at a time. I don’t know what happened. I just feel sick. What kind of antibiotics? I will manage to get some if I don’t have it.

Summerc25
09-22-2023, 10:19 PM

I used the 1 ml tonight and it's working much better. His eyes opened today.

Tashahaven
09-22-2023, 10:19 PM
NEVER use a bottle. EVER. There is NO WAY to control how much formula Is being given.

as for antibiotics:
see what you might have laying around. And report back asap.

but still ask friends, neighbors etc to see what else you MIGHT be able to conjure up, just in case.

It’s ALWAYS best to have something you DONT NEED, than to NEED something you don’t have! 🥰

Summerc25
09-22-2023, 10:27 PM
NEVER use a bottle. EVER. There is NO WAY to control how much formula Is being given.

as for antibiotics:
see what you might have laying around. And report back asap.

but still ask friends, neighbors etc to see what else you MIGHT be able to conjure up, just in case.

It’s ALWAYS best to have something you DONT NEED, than to NEED something you don’t have! 🥰

Agreed! I didn't actually end up using the bottles but I had bought them along with multiple syringes. The offender was a larger syringe with a longer tip. Just using the 1ml from now on. I will look through my medicine cabinets and get back to you guys. I usually keep everything when it comes to meds just in case lol. Thank you 😊

Summerc25
09-23-2023, 05:26 PM

I found cefdinir 300 mg capsules and amoxicillin 500 mg tablets. Can I do anything with either of those if he gets sick? So far he’s acting normal. Thx!

Spanky
09-23-2023, 05:35 PM
I found cefdinir 300 mg capsules and amoxicillin 500 mg tablets. Can I do anything with either of those if he gets sick? So far he’s acting normal. Thx!

Cefdinir is a no, Amoxicillin is better than nothing but I would continue the search... family, friends, neighbors... just a single pill.

Summerc25
09-23-2023, 07:55 PM
Cefdinir is a no, Amoxicillin is better than nothing but I would continue the search... family, friends, neighbors... just a single pill.

Will keep looking! Ty!

Summerc25
09-23-2023, 08:02 PM
Is there a specific one I should look for? Ty!

Tashahaven
09-24-2023, 01:59 AM
See if you can possibly get ahold of augmentin……

The hope is you won’t need it…

Spanky
09-24-2023, 07:04 AM
Is there a specific one I should look for? Ty!

People meds: Augmentin, Cipro, Bactrim (TMP/SMZ), Doxycycline

Animal Versions: Clavamox, Baytril

These are some of the most common and most effective, but if something else is found post the name and someone will advise if it is effective against AP.

CritterMom
09-24-2023, 07:28 AM

You mentioned amoxicillin 500mg. The "augmentin" and "clavamox" you are being told will work are BRAND names of a drug combo called "Amoxicillin Clavulanate" and a common size of it 500mg/125mg, which means it is a single pill that combines 500mg of Amoxicillin and 125mg Clavulanate. We have seen many people looking for meds when they had exactly what they needed in hand, and simply saw the "Amoxicillin" part and didn't pay attention to the rest of the name. Can you double check the label on the pill bottle?

Summerc25
09-24-2023, 09:44 AM
Found an amoxicillin clavulanate potassium 875mg/125mg - not sure if that's better or the same as amoxicillan. Also found clindamycin 300mg capsules was filled in Aug of 21 though. So far he seems fine but still looking in case.

Also update on the pred, today is the last day of the x.xxx dose (days 1 - 3). I noticed one of his feet twitching several times today and he's been sleeping on his back for a few days,he is rolling himself from stomach to back and changing positions. I had not seen him rolling to his back before. His legs are still limp though :( but these things still seem positive.

Summerc25
09-24-2023, 10:20 AM
You mentioned amoxicillin 500mg. The "augmentin" and "clavamox" you are being told will work are BRAND names of a drug combo called "Amoxicillin Clavulanate" and a common size of it 500mg/125mg, which means it is a single pill that combines 500mg of Amoxicillin and 125mg Clavulanate. We have seen many people looking for meds when they had exactly what they needed in hand, and simply saw the "Amoxicillin" part and didn't pay attention to the rest of the name. Can you double check the label on the pill bottle?

The first one was just amoxicillin but I went through my dog meds again and found the bottle in the back of the cabinet for amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tablets 875/125

Spanky
09-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Also update on the pred, today is the last day of the x.xxx dose (days 1 - 3). I noticed one of his feet twitching several times today and he's been sleeping on his back for a few days,he is rolling himself from stomach to back and changing positions. I had not seen him rolling to his back before. His legs are still limp though :( but these things still seem positive.

I am going to recommend extending the day 1 - 3 to 4 days, so stay with the same twice a day dosing for another day... then please update us tomorrow again.

Spanky
09-24-2023, 12:38 PM
The first one was just amoxicillin but I went through my dog meds again and found the bottle in the back of the cabinet for amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tablets 875/125

The amoxicillin with clavulanate is much more effective in treating AP versus plain amoxicillin, this is one of the top 3 choices... so very good to have on hand! :thumbsup

Summerc25
09-24-2023, 01:03 PM
The amoxicillin with clavulanate is much more effective in treating AP versus plain amoxicillin, this is one of the top 3 choices... so very good to have on hand! :thumbsup

Yay!!! Hopefully I don’t need it, but I feel better knowing I have it. Tysm!