PDA

View Full Version : babies and heat?

finetoons
09-27-2007, 11:22 PM
First of all, thank you for this great board and the helpful responses. I have learned so much already. This board has been particularly helpful in clarifying many of the contradictions I've read about taking care of baby squirrels.

Here's another issue for which I've read differing recommendations...when is the heating pad necessary? I have two little guys between 5 and 6 weeks old. They were chilled when I discovered them, but I was able to warm them up through my own body heat and some blankets, and they seem to be thriving now.

They snuggle together in a fleece blanket when sleeping and don't seem cold to the touch.

The temperature has been warm here, but I do expect it to get chillier.

Should I be using a heating pad? I'm sure they didn't have one in their original nest...

Thanks again for your help.

Mars
09-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Babies do best when they have a heat source until their eyes have been open for about a week. They start self regulating their own body heat about this time. If at any point they do not feel warm to the touch they need a heat source. I often continue to provide heat just at night for about a week or so. :)

finetoons
09-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks, Mars. I put a pad in last night and they seemed to really like it. I would assume if they get too warm, they would move, right? They won't get overheated?

4skwerlz
09-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks, Mars. I put a pad in last night and they seemed to really like it. I would assume if they get too warm, they would move, right? They won't get overheated?

Put the pad UNDER the box, just under half of it so there is a heated side and an unheated side. That way they can crawl off if they get too warm. Put the pad on "low".

finetoons
09-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks. They definitely have room to move to an unheated portion of the cage...I just was wondering if they know enough to move before they get overheated.

I have them in a ferret cage...their adorable big heads are too big to fit through the bars, so they should be safe. If I put the heating pad UNDER the tray, would the heat be able to go through the thick plastic?