PDA

View Full Version : Esbilac Puppy Mixture

Creatureluvr
09-15-2023, 02:29 PM
I have a 10 day old pinkie who needs to transition to Esbilac Puppy and off his GMF. I did purchase the Fox Valley 32/40; however, did not even open it when it came in the mail today thanks to this wonderful board's advice. I will start "Elliot's" transition to Esbilac tonight (slowly of course), then plan on using 50/50 Esbilac and FV 20/50 at 4 weeks old.

My questions is ......... I thought I read somewhere in a all my research that the Esbilac should not be mixed per the cannister's label. Can someone advise me on the correct strength / mixture of Esbilac Puppy Replacement powder. Oh, and "yes" it's the real Esbilac with the white puppy on the label. :0)

Thank you so much for all the help and amazing information this board provides!

Carie

CritterMom
09-15-2023, 05:18 PM
I have a 10 day old pinkie who needs to transition to Esbilac Puppy and off his GMF. I did purchase the Fox Valley 32/40; however, did not even open it when it came in the mail today thanks to this wonderful board's advice. I will start "Elliot's" transition to Esbilac tonight (slowly of course), then plan on using 50/50 Esbilac and FV 20/50 at 4 weeks old.

My questions is ......... I thought I read somewhere in a all my research that the Esbilac should not be mixed per the cannister's label. Can someone advise me on the correct strength / mixture of Esbilac Puppy Replacement powder. Oh, and "yes" it's the real Esbilac with the white puppy on the label. :0)

Thank you so much for all the help and amazing information this board provides!

Carie

I have not heard that. It has always been 2 parts water to 1 part formula powder. Let it rest for several hours at least before using to feed (overnight is best).

Keep your formula powder in the freezer and the mixed formula in the refrigerator. Take what you need from what you have mixed for the day to heat it, as you should not use the formula if it has been heated once.

Creatureluvr
09-16-2023, 11:17 PM
I have not heard that. It has always been 2 parts water to 1 part formula powder. Let it rest for several hours at least before using to feed (overnight is best).

Keep your formula powder in the freezer and the mixed formula in the refrigerator. Take what you need from what you have mixed for the day to heat it, as you should not use the formula if it has been heated once.

Thanks, CritterMom! This is exactly how I did it and have read about keeping the powdered formula in the freezer, so that's where it stays. I keep 2 bottles of mixed formula in the fridge. 1 small bottle (about 20ml) I use to pull up my syringe for each feeding. I have a larger bottle (about 100ml) I use to refill the little bottle after cleaning it out every night.

He should be completely weaned off GMF by tomorrow. Scared to go any faster.

How long will the mixed Esbilac last in the refrigerator before I need to make a new batch? I'm sure I made way too much the 1st time, so want to make sure I don't keep it too long.

Thanks so much for helping this squirrel Rookie. Not something I planned for, but loving the experience and want Elliot to be a strong boy when I release him next spring.

I added photos of my 1st full day with him (estimated 3 days old) & from tonight (estimae is 11 days). The one where he's stretched out is before feeding. He typically curls up in my hand after he eats, then I tuck him away in his fuzzy slipper box. So far he seems to be tolerating the Esbilac change great.