PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional questions...Immuno DMG liquid?

finetoons
09-27-2007, 09:22 PM
I noticed Chris sells Immuno-DMG liquid on her site. We administer this to our dogs - it's a great product. Is it helpful for squirrels too? If so, does anyone know what the dosage would be?

Also...is there enough calcium in Esbilac for squirrels or does it have to be supplemented? Is heavy (whipping) cream safe if it is made from cow's milk?

Thanks for any input!

Mars
09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
:wave123 :Welcome :wave123

As I understand it DMG is supportive care for squirrels that are or have been sick. It is used, for example, when treating squirrel poxs. I don't think it would be needed for healthy babies.

Yes, esbilac has all the calcuim your baby will need to grow up strong :) As an explanation for using cream or Multi milk in the formula it is because a squirrel's natural milk changes as the the babies get older becoming richer in fats. There are as many variations on formulas as there are rehabbers. But many do add either one or the other once babies are older than 3 weeks. How much often depends directly on how well the baby tolerates the artifical formula. Personally, I use Multi milk adding up to 1/2 part gradually as babies get older. If you wish to add heavy cream ( not whipping cream and not the new fancy cooking ones with added sugars ) do so gradually up to one part. :)

muffinsquirrel
09-27-2007, 11:13 PM
What is the difference in 'heavy cream' and 'whipping cream'? I always thought they were the same thing.

muffinsquirrel

Mars
09-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Well it's in the way they are processed. Never try to whip heavy cream. It don't work to good. :shakehead

muffinsquirrel
09-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Then they aren't interchangable? I can't use whipping cream to mix with their formula? I don't remember ever seeing anything but whipping cream for sale, which certainly doesn't mean it isn't there.....I just haven't noticed it.

muffinsquirrel

finetoons
09-28-2007, 09:32 AM
it sounds like you guys should be on FineCooking.com instead of the squirrelboard!! ; )

I think the whipping vs. heavy might be a regional thing. I've seen both. But I'll be sure to check the ingredients to make sure there are none of the additives that Mars mentioned.

muffinsquirrel
09-28-2007, 11:23 PM
:rotfl Finecooking.com is a riot! :rotfl It might just give us more ideas, as our "baby's" tend to eat much better than we do! :jump

Gee, I've never seen whipping cream either. I think you'll be a lot better off just using the "milk" type in the little carton. It would have to be much easier to add to the formula, I would think. :thinking :D

No, no, no, GB. WhippING cream, not whippED cream! Whipping cream comes in a little milk carton thing just like milk does. To make whipped cream, you put whipping cream in a cold bowl and beat it like crazy, adding sugar to it. And if you beat it too long, you end up with butter!!!

Have you noticed what a funny looking word 'whipping' is when you see it over and over?

I think I need sleep!!!

muffinsquirrel

Mars
09-29-2007, 01:36 AM
:jump :jump :jump

Buddy'sMom
09-30-2007, 10:39 AM
:rotfl You guys are a riot! I guess we can tell who the bakers/dessert makers are ..... or aren't ...:rotfl

Just a little follow-up to what Mars mentioned about no additives -- last fall I discovered that the store carried "whipping cream" (liquid cream, in cartons, intended to be whipped to make whippED cream for yummy desserts) AND there was "Baker's whipping cream" (same liquid but with sugar already added (Who knew?? -- to save the baker the undue burden of adding sugar? -- :shakehead [sorry, this I DO NOT GET -- someone is making whipped cream from scratch but can't be bothered to measure out a cup of sugar??? :dono :dono ]

Anyway, as Mars said, you do NOT want to buy this "bakers" variety -- so read the ingredients and make sure it only has cream and is not already pre-sweetened! (This would also be wise if you are making dessert as you would not want to add even more sugar ....) (Me, I intend to boycott the "baker's thing just on the principle that it's an Idiot Marketing Idea :D )

My prior understanding (as a baker, not a rehabber) was that "whipping" and "heavy" were pretty much the same kind of cream, and the wording might be a brand or regional thing -- as long as it's straight cream, with no additives. (Mars, if you have more info on what the difference is ..... ??)

:grouphug

scoobysnack
09-30-2007, 10:59 AM
The heavy whipping cream we get is NOT pre sweetened. I am a whipped cream snob. There ONLY whipped cream I eat is stuff I whip myself using heavy whipping cream, a little confectioners sugar (tiny bit I don't like it too sweet) and a bit of vanilla extract. All other, so called, whipped creams are DEAD TO ME!!!:rotfl

Scooby has had heavy whipping cream in her diet since I got her. By the time I saw the "not until three weeks" part she was older than three weeks. She is annoyed, to say the least, if we run out and she has to have straight formula. That said, I only put a teaspoon in to each batch of her formula. So it's 1tbsp esbilac:2tbsp water:1TEASPOON heavy whipping cream for the Scoobster. Enough to make it tastey but not so much it could harm her in any way.

She's 234grams today, looks fat and slick. Her weight gains have definitely slowed and her eating habits have become eratic. She'll have one feeding where she'll take 5% of her weight like a lumberjack easts pancakes, then she'll have another feeding where I'm begging her to get 9cc's in there. She is eating more other stuff but not as much as I'd like to see her eat. As long as she doesn't lose weight I'm happy LOL.

She's a playing machine!!! OMGOSH she loves to wrestle my hands and climb everywhere. What a cutie!