PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep Rockie over the winter or release him soon?

babedizzle
09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
My Dad seems to think that keeping Rockie over the winter would tame him so that when the time does come to release him, he won't know how to fend for himself in the wild. I worry that if I released Rockie, he wouldn't know what to do to build a nest, prepare for winter, etc. but on the other hand I worry that keeping him over the winter will delay him even longer. Will he know how to build a nest simply by instinct or is this something that is learned from observing other squirrels? I have already arranged to build an outside cage to hold Rockie and his two siblings before their release, but I need to know if I should put them in there now or wait until winter is over.

pamela lee
09-26-2007, 01:05 PM
How old are all the babies first? I live in the south so we can release any time, I'm not sure about where you live. If you do overwinter them in a large outside cage, it's not likely they'll get to friendly. They'll only see you when you drop off food. And since there's 3 of them they'll become wild alot quicker. My Peanut was an only squirrel and he was a champ at making a nest and he'd never even seen another squirrel at that time. If you place a nest box in there with them, they'll figure it out. Thank you soo much for all you've done for these babies and giving them the chance to be wild and free.
Pamela

babedizzle
09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
They are about 8-9 weeks old.

Apple Corps
09-26-2007, 02:20 PM
My two cents is that it getting late in the season to release them for a cold climate like Ohio. Spring would give them a much better chance UNLESS:

you release them in your yard INTO a nice / safe / ready made nest box :-)

Momma Squirrel
09-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm no expert but I think if you have 3 that will be released together if you have a very safe and warm outside release area for them and your plans are to release in the Spring. It might be best to start getting them ready for the outdoors. I am sure they will know what to do and given enough time before the serious winter sets in they will be just fine.

Supply them with lots of nesting material, things to climb on and food of course. Food that they would find in the wild.

Good luck which ever way you choose.

Mars
09-26-2007, 02:54 PM
If the outside cage can be wrapped in 18 gage clear plastic and you provide a warm nest box with plenty of nesting materials, and can provide fresh water twice a day so it doesn't freeze up on them and of course food daily they can be wintered outside. If on the other hand you cannot provide for them outside please make plans to winter inside as your babies should not be released until they are between 12 and 16 weeks old at the earliest. It is way to late for them to stash enough food for the winter at this point. I have not had any trouble with babies taming too much over the winter as I avoid contact with them as much as possible. I feed and clean and give them plenty to play with. (which keeps me very busy:D ) but otherwise I do not interact with them.:)

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-26-2007, 03:44 PM
How is Rockie's behavior now? Is he acting wild or is he being super friendly to you? I have found that single squirrels grow up slower and don't wild out until they are a little older. You will need to get a plan for an outside cage going. He will need something that is as big as you can make it (my minimum standards book for Ohio recommends no smaller than 4' by 4' by 6' tall for a squirrel that is being overwintered). It is getting late in the year and I am going to be overwintering my 3 7 week old squirrels plus the one that is about 8 weeks old. I have an outside cage already built, if you want to see it here is the link:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5452&highlight=cage

I overwinter my squirrels in that cage. As long as they have a nestbox to keep warm in and at least a couple solid walls to block the wind, they will be plenty warm enough. If you want to release this year, it is generally accepted that it is OK to release until November 1st. After that is too late. So, technically your squirrel will just be old enough to go free if that is what you choose. There is a HUGE amount of food available in the fall (I think a lot more than in the spring at least as far as nuts go) so he should be able to find food and if you release him in a nestbox, he will be able to stay warm. It is your call. My only worries about fall releases is if they venture from the nestbox (they often prefer to build their own nest instead of staying in the one you provide) to build their own nest and there aren't any leaves on the trees. So, make sure there are still leaves on the trees if you release this fall.