PDA

View Full Version : How much vegetables should I be offering?

Vedition
07-17-2023, 10:31 PM
I am nursing a 13 lined ground squirrel who I’m assuming to be 7 weeks. She weighs 40 grams now. She eats one Henry’s block throughout the day and I introduced carrot today. How do I know how much carrot or any other vegetable to provide? It seems like she is a bottomless feeder.

Spanky
07-18-2023, 06:57 AM
Are you still offering them formula?

As long as they are eating... actually eating and not just shredding... the Henry's block you can offer as much veggies ("free feed") as she wants. It is important that they eat formula for as long as they will take it and that the Henry's is being eaten. Rodent block is always the first and only solid food until they are eating that well. Only after they are eating the rodent block should veggies be introduced. As she gets older she'll be able to get 2 Henry's a day.

island rehabber
07-18-2023, 07:18 AM
I like to introduce two new veggies per week, and I give 2 chunks of each veggie per squirrel. I always start with greens, like kale and chicory the first week, maybe. Carrots are very sweet; I don't introduce those until they are already eating their greens.

Vedition
07-18-2023, 10:48 AM
Are you still offering them formula?

As long as they are eating... actually eating and not just shredding... the Henry's block you can offer as much veggies ("free feed") as she wants. It is important that they eat formula for as long as they will take it and that the Henry's is being eaten. Rodent block is always the first and only solid food until they are eating that well. Only after they are eating the rodent block should veggies be introduced. As she gets older she'll be able to get 2 Henry's a day.

Okay, thank you! She is still on formula. And devours the Henry block.

Vedition
07-18-2023, 10:49 AM
I like to introduce two new veggies per week, and I give 2 chunks of each veggie per squirrel. I always start with greens, like kale and chicory the first week, maybe. Carrots are very sweet; I don't introduce those until they are already eating their greens.

Okay, awesome! I didn’t think of that and gave her carrot for the first time yesterday.. I will definitely do greens for the next veggie.
When can I introduce seeds and dried bugs?