PDA

View Full Version : About "Ensure" milk. Good or not good?

Love-Lee
07-08-2023, 01:56 AM
Hello TSB,

What's your opinion about giving Ensure Milk to adult, juvenile and baby squirrel.

I know someone (rehab) who is using that when a squirrel is injured or who doesn't eat well.

IMO I don't and will not use that kind of milk for squirrel cause it made with humains milk product.

Thanks!

CritterMom
07-08-2023, 04:55 AM
I would not use it for a baby, but for what the rehabber you are talking about is using it for, it can work well for compromised or injured or post surgical adult animals. Ensure is packed with nutrients - the idea is to stuff everything an older adult human would need nutritionally in a very small amount of actual liquid, and that is often what a squirrel "patient" needs.

There are products like Critical Care that are designed specifically to do this but most of them require that you order online and some are only available from vets, which can make them unavailable when you need them in an emergency. You can buy Ensure pretty much anywhere that sells food.

Mel1959
07-08-2023, 04:59 AM
Many of us have used Ensure as a temporary nutritional substitute with no issues. I had a dwarf squirrel that occasionally required the use of it. The cows milk in it never presented a problem. I feed cows milk yogurt to my flyer regularly and he loves it with no ill effects.

There is a product available at vets offices and possibly online called Critical Care. It comes in fine grind and regular grind versions. It is predominantly for herbivores, but my vet has used it for squirrels. You might mention to your rehab friend that another option for a nutrient rich food that can be administered by syringe is baby food. Adding some Henry’s vitamins will even increase the nutrition density of it.

lovesquirrels1
07-08-2023, 08:10 PM
My relative gave cow milk to baby racoons that were doing fine only 2x and all of them died. I know Art Curl with TN flyers takes babies at 4 weeks and raises them on Meyenburg powdered goats milk from Walmart mixed 1 part powder to 2 parts water after having two rounds of bad luck with two separate batches of fox valley after the son it took over.

Mel1959
07-11-2023, 06:51 AM
No one that I know of advocates for the use of cows milk to raise anything infant…other than calves. The goats milk formula that is posted on this form has been used by many as a TEMPORARY formula to keep baby squirrels alive until an alternate more appropriate formula, such as Esbilac Puppy or Fox Valley Squirrel formula can be obtained. The goats milk is supplemented with heavy whipping cream and yogurt to provide the necessary nutrients and calories.

Raccoons require Esbilac KMR Kitten formula or Fox Valley Raccoon formula….NOT Esbilac Puppy formula or milk.