PDA

View Full Version : Pepto dosage PLEASE!!

Lrf
04-22-2023, 08:12 PM
Can anyone please tell me the dosage for pepto for a 5-6 week old baby squirrel, he weighs about 90 grams , also with diarrhea is water or pedialyte recommended . Thank you in advance

CritterMom
04-23-2023, 04:30 AM
I am sorry it took so long for an answer. Start with .01ml - which will be just 1 or 2 drops. When the pepto has gone through the system, it will turn the poop really dark - sometimes almost black. It is just a function of the med - it isn't anything wrong even though it LOOKS scary.

I prefer to wait until the dark poops start before I think about a second dose. Sometimes you will already see the poop solidifying by that point. The "sweet spot" is to give just enough to fix the poops and not so much that he goes the other way and becomes constipated.

Yes, water and pedialyte should be given during diarrhea. You need to replace all of the water his body is losing from the loose stools.

Why is he having diarrhea is the important part. Pepto doesn't cure anything. What formula is he on and list anything else he may have ingested.

And does it smell? Not like normal poop smell, but there is a condition called coccidia that causes very bad diarrhea that requires more treatment. The poop smells awful - sweetish-stink similar to the smell of decomposing flesh. You can't miss it.

Lrf
04-24-2023, 11:39 AM
I’m a vet technician and it’s definitely not coccidia, it has no smell but it’s like a golden yellow tint and I’ll post a picture. I got the pepto chewables any recipe on how to format that for the little guy?!!

He is on esbilac 2nd step formula and just recently ordered some Henry’s healthy blocks but they just arrived today so just the formula and water to help rehydrate him.

Thank you for your help

CritterMom
04-24-2023, 11:52 AM
No idea how to dose the pepto tablets. You can also use kaopectate liquid if you have any.

I would put a bullseye on the formula as the thing that may be causing this. There is no information on the esbilac formula for older babies you are using. It is your likely culprit. When you order the Henry's blocks, get some Fox Valley 20/50 (and ONLY 20/50) and do a slow transition to that, using the original esbilac.

SamtheSquirrel2018
04-24-2023, 12:51 PM
I’m a vet technician and it’s definitely not coccidia, it has no smell but it’s like a golden yellow tint and I’ll post a picture. I got the pepto chewables any recipe on how to format that for the little guy?!!

He is on esbilac 2nd step formula and just recently ordered some Henry’s healthy blocks but they just arrived today so just the formula and water to help rehydrate him.

Thank you for your help

Hi Lrf:
What is the name of your Little Squirrel?
How is your Squirrel doing today? Yes, please post some photos of your Squirrel and his stool! One of the most common causes for loose stool is overfeeding, either too much, too often or both. Is the stool actually watery, loose or just soft but still formed? The color of formula fed Squirrel's poop is not dark brown but have been described as "golden" in color.

I have never used Esbilac 2nd Step. Others on TSB may have some experience with this or can make some comments about this. This is apparently used for puppies during the weaning process. Most of us use Esbilac POWDERED Puppy Milk Replacer or Fox Valley 20/50 (or half each). Fairly recently, Esbilac has changed the Powdered Milk Replacer formulation and along with the unpublished changes they made in the formula, they changed the can which now shows a puppy with a brown/black face. The original had a white faced puppy. There have been a number of reports on TSB of diarrhea with the new formulation! Here is link to that thread: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?69314-New-formula-PetAg-Esbilac

Please post the volume of formula you are giving with each feeding and the frequency of feeding. I suspect that the abnormal stool characteristics is directly related to the formula itself and other factors may be the amount of formula your Squirrel consumes at each feeding and/or the frequency of feedings. Fox VALLEY 20/50 or Esbilac POWDERED Puppy Milk Replacer with the White faced puppy (not expired). I would suggest transitioning to Fox Valley 20/50 possibly with some UltraBoost as a final formula through weaning (your 5-6 week old Squirrel is no where near weaning!). There is another Fox Valley formulation called DiaStat which is formulated to help with diarrhea. It contains some electrolytes such as sodium and potassium and this may help with regaining normal stooling. If your Squirrel has watery stools, the fluid loss is not just water but electrolytes as well. It may be a good idea to give a "feeding" of Pedialyte now to help supplement lost electrolytes!

Please post the photos, describe how much and how often you are feeding and any other information that may help. The amount of Pedialyte to feed is calculated the same way the amount of formula is calculated and that is to use 5%-7% of the Squirrels current accurate WEIGHT in Grams as the VOLUME of Formula (or each administration of Pedialyte or plain water as the case may be) to be given with each feeding. Check the weight now and every morning before the first feeding. As an example only; with the weight of 90 Grams, you would use a corresponding VOLUME of Formula or Pedialyte equal to 5%-7% of the Weight. EXAMPLE only: 5% would be 90 x 0.05= 4.5 milliliters of formula per feeding and 7% would be 6.3 milliliters. Initially, I would recommend starting at the low end and giving 5 milliliters would be easy to measure in your 1cc syringe!

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

SamtheSquirrel2018
04-24-2023, 12:53 PM
No idea how to dose the pepto tablets. You can also use kaopectate liquid if you have any.

I would put a bullseye on the formula as the thing that may be causing this. There is no information on the esbilac formula for older babies you are using. It is your likely culprit. When you order the Henry's blocks, get some Fox Valley 20/50 (and ONLY 20/50) and do a slow transition to that, using the original esbilac.

Sorry CM. As usual, I was writing a book with my hesitant fingers while your fingers were dancing over your keyboard in their usual rapid and precise manner!
Regards,
StS