PDA

View Full Version : Itchy squirrel

Tmd
04-14-2023, 05:57 AM
Hi am q squirrel mom I've had my squirrel jack since he was a baby he is almost one now and is itching and I don't know what to do for him I like to keep things natural for him he won't let me bathe him. What can I do he has also started to not like being handled any more it's either his way or no way. I am at a loss of what to do

Mel1959
04-14-2023, 06:45 AM
Is this a Fox squirrel? It could be fleas. If you can purchase some cat/kitten Revolution (Selamectin) you can place 1-2 drops on a pecan and feed it to him then repeat in 30 days. The Revolution can be ordered online from Joes Pet Meds in Australia with no Rx.

Is your plan to release Jack? Is there a reason for him to not be released? At 1 year old he’s not too old. Your statement that he can’t be handled makes me wonder what the next 10-12 years are going to be like for you and him. A captive squirrel that can’t be handled might be happier in the trees, I think.

Tmd
04-14-2023, 07:20 AM
I believe he is a Grey squirrel and I can handle him somewhat and I don't plan on releasing him I don't think that he would survive he is not afraid of other animals and he's dependent on me for his food he don't even go to sleep until I sing to him crazy as that is lol. I am building a outside enclosure so he can come and go from the house from the window. And thank you I will try the flea drops asap he is a little bit on the chunky side so I wanna make sure I put proper amount on him.

CritterMom
04-14-2023, 11:18 AM
Is this a Fox squirrel? It could be fleas. If you can purchase some cat/kitten Revolution (Selamectin) you can place 1-2 drops on a pecan and feed it to him then repeat in 30 days. The Revolution can be ordered online from Joes Pet Meds in Australia with no Rx.

Is your plan to release Jack? Is there a reason for him to not be released? At 1 year old he’s not too old. Your statement that he can’t be handled makes me wonder what the next 10-12 years are going to be like for you and him. A captive squirrel that can’t be handled might be happier in the trees, I think.

Actually, we have found a better, much faster source for the Revolution - Canada Vet Express: https://www.canadavetexpress.com/flea-and-tick-control-treatment/revolution-for-cats/p56.aspx

You want the pink stuff for puppies and kittens, not the blue.

Don't randomly use flea meds from other places - the Revolution specifically is safe. Other meds, we have NO IDEA and zero experience with.

Diggie's Friend
04-15-2023, 10:58 AM
For those squirrels that have been treated for parasites; excess scratching may be due to it being molting season.
Another cause of ear itching when a squirrel has been treated for mites, may be dryness, as was found to be the cause for our squirrel many years ago.
To alleviate the dryness in the external ears, the vet recommended we add one drop of plain organic glycerin to each ear and gently squish it in and then
gently wipe them out with a flexible soft cotton tipped cue-tip.