PDA

View Full Version : Activity Level & Cage Bedding

sleepless
09-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi All! My baby is now appx 6 weeks old and up till now I've kept in a very large planter with a heating pad on the bottom and a wadded up blanket filling the rest of it (I'm new to this and neccessity is the mother of all inventions).

Up until know this has worked out great -- he stays in his impromptued home and sleeps all the time except for feedings. Is it normal for him to sleep so much and not be very active?

He did actually crawl out of the planter yesterday so I feel its time to move him to his cage, but what do I use as bedding? (Meaning, do I use Aspen shavings, his blanket, both?)

pamela lee
09-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Old tee-shirts, baby blankets, fleece any of that would be fine, just do not put anything like towels, their little toe nail can get hooked in the loops.
At 6 weeks I don't think he should still be sleeping all the time.

sleepless
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
He does wander around a little bit after feeding -- how active should he be and what could be the cause of his relative inactivity?

sleepless
09-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Also, I just put the heating pad in the cage but am concerned about him eventually trying to chew the cord -- how long does he need the heating pad for?

pamela lee
09-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm not a rehabber but you can quit using the heat once his eyes are open. Some people leave it about a week after that. I don't know about him being lethargic but hopefully a rehabber can give you an answer. Be prepared to answer questions like:
What are you feeding him?
How much are you feeding him?
What about poopies ; color, firmness, regularity?
How long have you had him?

wdarmac
09-25-2007, 02:29 PM
:Welcome and hello, is you baby drinking the Esbilac milk, if not this is what he needs to be on,you need to put the heating pad underneath whatever you have him in, that way he wont have access to the cord, and believe me they will chew the cord, if not now later on when he gets bigger. After he is off milk he needs full specturm lighting, they have to have some kind of sunshine or the full spectrum light. Hope this helps, but Im sure a rehabber can help you more than I.:wave123

Mars
09-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi

Just a couple of those annoying questions to help me help you. How long has your baby had his eyes open?? How long would you say his tail hair is at this point? I only provide heat for about a week or so after their eyes have openned. And then only at night for another week.:)

sleepless
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
His eyes opened for the 1st time on the 15th of this month, but I only started feeding him esbilac for about the last 5 days (I had been using kitty formula before then, not knowing it wasn't what he needed). And he only started to try solid food yesterday (he would ignore it when I offered it before).

However, he has always been able to to urinate on his own (since I got him around the 7th) and has been pooping unassisted for about 3 days now.

Mars
09-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Okay :wave123 first I'm thinking his sleep pattern is most likely normal for his age and that you were feeding with kitten formula until recently. His energy levels should increase in the next few weeks. If you haven't already I would suggest adding about a 1/2 part of organic live cultured yogurt to the formula as it will add a bit more protein and the ever important probiotics.

I use thick layers of newspaper on the bottom of my cages (no glossy color sheets as the colored ink can be toxic) And fleece for bedding in the nest box. Your baby should only need heat at night at this point and maybe not even that. If at any point he doesn't feel warm to the touch he should be offered a heat source.

Hope this helps :)

sleepless
09-25-2007, 03:54 PM
You are awesome -- thank you so much!

pamela lee
09-25-2007, 04:11 PM
See I told you one of our rehabbers would be on here. Mars is a great rehabber, so just listen to her and that baby will be grown-up and moving out before you know it. Sounds like you're doing a great job, just keep it up. You got any pics of the baby? We all love pics.:flash3

sleepless
09-25-2007, 06:14 PM
OK, but I read somewhere that he has to learn how to build a nest -- what do I give him for nesting material?

Rhapsody
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm not a rehabber but you can quit using the heat once his eyes are open. Some people leave it about a week after that.

My two are 6 weeks old now and while I do not keep the heating pad on 24/7 - I do still use the "Rice Buddy" and they seem to really enjoy the heat early in the morning and after dinner.

Hammy'sMom
10-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Hammy just opened his eyes last Monday. He is active when i take him to fed him, but after he is finished eating all he wants to do is sleep. After I stimulate him, he will curl up in my hand and try to hide his head, so I put him back in his cage and he will curl up under his fleece and sleep until his next feeding. I am feeding him every three to four hours from 6 am until midnight. I have put small pieces of avocado, bananas, and primate chow in his cage, but he isn't eating it that I can tell. I change it out every day, so it is always fresh. When should I get him the fullspectrum light bulb or can I put his cage by the window during the day? My husband took him outside with him this weekend and Hammy just stayed in his pocket. I think all the new sounds scared him. Hammy is in my stepdaughter's carrying cage for her bird right now. It seems to be okay for now, but once he starts to climb I know he will need a bigger cage. When should I get him a bigger cage and how big should it be? :thinking

I am greatfull for all of the information on this site and all of the help. It is wonderfull having Hammy and I am glad my husband decided to bring home instead of just leaving him. Another guy that my husband works with found a squirrel the day before my husband found Hammy. My husband asked if we could have it as well so they could grow up together, but they wouldn't give him up. I wish I would have been more persistant, because their cat got a hold of it and didn't survive. I have two cats and a dog and they are not aloud around Hammy. I keep Hammy behind closed doors in my bedroom upstairs. None of the animals are aloud upstairs, so he is in no danger.

I am a new squirrel mom and I am glad that this site is here.:flash3

Here are some new pics of Hammy with his eyes open:

pamela lee
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Hammy is adorable. He looks real healthy. I always figure the biggest cage you can afford, mostly if he will be with you all winter. Since his eyes just opened I'm sure he won't be able to be released until next spring. He doesn't need a FSL until he's off formula and the window is not a good sourse of UV light, the glass filters it out. He will probably be needing a larger cage soon, now that his eyes are open.
That's real sad about the other little squirrel. I'll never understand why people let their other pets around these poor helpless little guys. It's an accident waiting to happen.
Good luck with little Hammy
Pamela