PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss or mange?

Smalls30
03-08-2023, 02:05 PM
Hey there! I need help figuring out what’s wrong with my little girl, Tiny. She has a bald spot/hair loss on her back. There’s no scabs from what I can see. She lives in my backyard, and I hand feed her every day on my deck for about 6 months now. I give her a mixture of nuts (pecan, walnuts, hazelnuts, Brazilian nut, and sometimes peanuts in shell), as well as fresh water. She seems to be in good health otherwise. Could this be mange? I noticed other squirrels in the area with severe hair loss who are frequently itching. Tiny is an Eastern fox squirrel and were located in Michigan. I would greatly appreciate any guidance! Please see photos attached. Thank you!

Spanky
03-08-2023, 02:57 PM
I see this pattern of hair loss in squirrels that have been nesting in a wooden nest box for a period of time. Do you know if her drey is perhaps a box, or tree trunk, etc. Or if you know she is a twig and leaf nest.

Giving a single drop of Revolution/Stronghold (plain selamectin) on a nut (it can be taken orally) would treat mange, but also fleas and ticks. So even it is not mange, it would provide her comfort from all sorts of buggers.

I have been getting my supply from here most recently:
https://www.canadavetexpress.com/revolution-for-kittens-puppies-pink-pack-45.aspx

Smalls30
03-08-2023, 04:15 PM
Thank you, @Spanky. I’m not exactly sure, but I want to say her drey is a twig and leaf nest. Would Ivermectin work? If not, I’ll purchase plain selamectin and give it a shot.

Mel1959
03-08-2023, 06:27 PM
Selamectin is safer, but ivermectin will work. I know Selamectin dosing is one to two drops on a nut. I’m not sure how much ivermectin you would use. If you’re going to buy the Selamectin you want the one for puppies and kittens OR the one for cats. The cat version has more in each tube because for dogs and cats the dose is the whole tube. It may be a better deal to by the larger cat size as there’s more in each tube and you’re only going to use a drop or two. Just be sure the strength is the same as the puppy/kitten formula strength. Store the opened vial in the refrigerator to use another time.

Spanky
03-09-2023, 10:50 AM
Thank you, @Spanky. I’m not exactly sure, but I want to say her drey is a twig and leaf nest. Would Ivermectin work? If not, I’ll purchase plain selamectin and give it a shot.

IF you use invermectin is is critically important to be extremely careful with dosing. The ivermectin that can be purchased at Tractor Supply and such is made for horses; so we are talking about using something design for an 1,800 pound horse (give or take) on a teeny-tiny squirrel.

Make sure to get the 1.87% Paste as there are different versions and some a much more concentrated and therefore more dangerous.

For dosing you want to give a very small amount, approximately the size of an uncooked grain of typical white rice. The ivermectin dose will need to be repeated after 7 full days.

I always encourage the use of selamectin despite the cost advantage of ivermectin simply because selamectin is produced for small mammals (e.g. kittens) and there is a much larger margin of safety with the selamectin. Selamectin dosing needs a follow-up after 10 days ONLY if the original dose dose not visibly improve the mange mite issues.

Smalls30
03-10-2023, 06:33 PM
@Spanky I purchased Revolution as you recommended. I’m too nervous to use Ivermectin on her since she’s so small. I’ll keep you posted on her progress! Thanks again!

Diggie's Friend
03-11-2023, 01:57 PM
The source I had purchased now requires being registered with a vet. I don't have a vet and likely won't in the future either. Is there a site that allows purchase of Selamectin without registering your veterinarian?

Spanky
03-11-2023, 05:27 PM
The source I had purchased now requires being registered with a vet. I don't have a vet and likely won't in the future either. Is there a site that allows purchase of Selamectin without registering your veterinarian?

I have been getting my supply from here most recently:
https://www.canadavetexpress.com/rev...k-pack-45.aspx (https://www.canadavetexpress.com/revolution-for-kittens-puppies-pink-pack-45.aspx)

Binkers mom
03-18-2023, 05:05 PM
Can the Revolution be applied on the skin on the shoulder, behind the neck ? As well as ingested on a nut?

Spanky
03-18-2023, 06:01 PM
Can the Revolution be applied on the skin on the shoulder, behind the neck ? As well as ingested on a nut?

Yes and yes. Only 1 drop in either route.