PDA

View Full Version : About me

Jasilver603
03-06-2023, 03:44 PM
Hello I'm new to the board I just created this account because I was looking for some help for my 6 month old northeast grey squirrel(Vera) that I was trying to over winter then release.

Found her back in early September when she was about 5 weeks old it looked and tried to reconnect her with her mom but after one night of freezing Temps I couldn't risk it again for Vera, so I took her home and the past few months are history.

Been almost purely good moments besides the house destruction(was to be expected) lol.324395

Tashahaven
03-06-2023, 10:41 PM
Welcome to TSB! Glad you are here! Vera is a beautiful little girl, you have done a wonderful job! Thank you for saving her and loving her. ❤️

She looks very healthy and happy. Let us know if you have any questions. The folks on this board are amazingly knowledgeable and caring!

Again, Welcome!

Mel1959
03-07-2023, 06:35 AM
:Welcome:Welcome. Vera looks great! :great Good job!

Lighten-Up
03-07-2023, 07:36 AM
Welcome to TSB and your squirrel adventure! Vera looks like shes doing well. So glad you helped her. :Welcome

Jasilver603
03-07-2023, 02:55 PM
I do wish I could say that Vera still looked like this I thought she had sprained her foot in her cage but after looking online she's showing all the signs of MBD, sleeping all the time, not hungry, not using her hind legs, and being very reluctant to be picked up.

she's been loving getting rubs though and luckily enough I already had "squirrel-cal" calcium powder from exotic nutrition and started to give that to her last night(Monday) but she started showing these signs on Thursday, I'm hoping I didn't think it was a sprained leg for to long and she wont be able to recover, she seemed slightly more alert today after eating a calcium covered mango last night but still sleeping and not using hind legs much at all but at least more than she had the past few days.

I also mixed the calcium powder with peanut butter and she seemed to really enjoy that today but was wondering if there was any other good methods for administering calcium, I also have henrys healthy blocks shipped and on the way as well as a parrot lamp overhead for an artificial sun, I was just always afraid of her staring into the lamp and getting blinded. 324419

Spanky
03-07-2023, 06:04 PM
:Welcome to TSB! I am sorry about Vera's condition. The good news is that MBD is reversible, but it is not easy or quick and requires diligence and perseverance. MBD does not happen overnight and takes weeks and months to fully reverse. Bone growth is a slow process.

If she has MBD is is best to stop all nuts, seeds, corn, etc. including peanut butter. I have no idea what the calcium content of EN's "squirrel-cal" is and to be honest, I have zero patience for this terrible site and their products. I tried to find this on their site but gave up...

Here is a link to the recommended MBD protocol:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?17680-Emergency-Treatment-for-MBD-(Updated-3-31-09)

It would be terrific if you are willing to share Vera's current diet and we'll try to make helpful recommendations if needed. Trying to understand her diet... what she actually eats regularly... is important. They are given lots of variety of things they don't always (or ever) eat, and I am guilty as well of continuing to feed (provide?) some of my crew with things they never eat. We can start with this pyramid:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Jasilver603
03-07-2023, 10:11 PM
Thank you for the reply, I did end up getting this calcium pill that has some vitamin D as well, as for her diet I definitely should've been more strict, MBD just seem to come on all of a sudden within the span of taking a shower and coming back out to find her using her back legs weird.324420

Bowl everyday of 2 kale leaves, snap peas, 2 blueberries, whole carrot(for fun usually doesn't eat but chews), and bok choi.

I also do a pretty good mix of greens from that food pyramid just to keep things interesting, I've been familiar that nutrition chart for a while but believed with how healthy she seemed the diet was going good as any pet smart rodent blocks did not seem nutritional at all and I just now found those Henry blocks that will be a big staple in her diet once they arrive.

Is the mango method for calcium okay? I did get a syringe as well and here's a pic of that "squirrel-cal" I hope it's okay, sorry for the long text

Spanky
03-07-2023, 11:43 PM
Thank you for the reply, I did end up getting this calcium pill that has some vitamin D as well, as for her diet I definitely should've been more strict, MBD just seem to come on all of a sudden within the span of taking a shower and coming back out to find her using her back legs weird.324420

Bowl everyday of 2 kale leaves, snap peas, 2 blueberries, whole carrot(for fun usually doesn't eat but chews), and bok choi.

I also do a pretty good mix of greens from that food pyramid just to keep things interesting, I've been familiar that nutrition chart for a while but believed with how healthy she seemed the diet was going good as any pet smart rodent blocks did not seem nutritional at all and I just now found those Henry blocks that will be a big staple in her diet once they arrive.

Is the mango method for calcium okay? I did get a syringe as well and here's a pic of that "squirrel-cal" I hope it's okay, sorry for the long text

Please do not use human calcium pills with vitamin D... the amount of vitamin D in them... for large humans, is way too much for tiny squirrels. Vitamin D is dangerous when too much is eaten, especially true for squirrels. The Henry's will have all the vitamin D needed, and they should get only 2 blocks per day (Henry's is a supplemental block to be combined with healthy veggies).

Take a look at the diet pyramid again and I'll suggest trying to incorporate more group 1 & 2 veggies and note fruits are "treats".

Whenever I have to provide extra calcium to intakes with MBD, I do that with a syringe (given orally). The problem with the Squirrel-Cal label s that is does not list the amounts of elemental calcium, which is the critically necessary detail. While dusting food with calcium does not hurt, they seem to imply it can compensate for a calcium poor (or rather a Phosphorous high) diet... which is impossible. Literally.

Mel1959
03-08-2023, 05:10 AM
:goodpost:goodpost

You need to follow the MBD protocol that was posted. Most health food stores sell straight calcium carbonate powder with no Vitamin D. Even tums can work temporarily till you get your calcium powder. Read the labels…you want an elemental calcium level that is recommended by the protocol link. The link will tell you ways to administer it. As Spanky said giving the doses via syringe guarantees it is consumed.

Jasilver603
03-08-2023, 07:49 AM
The pills were all I could get last night but I'm glad I made sure they weren't good I was suspicious, ill be getting the regular calcium carbonate from a rite aid, I was looking at tums but there was only flavored versions and was unsure if that was okay.

I appreciate the help and will keep posting of I have anymore questions and I'll post the health of Vera.

I know the "squirrel cal" isn't reccomended and I'll stop administering it to vera but she's walking around again which makes me very happy, thank you again.

Spanky
03-08-2023, 10:06 AM
The pills were all I could get last night but I'm glad I made sure they weren't good I was suspicious, ill be getting the regular calcium carbonate from a rite aid, I was looking at tums but there was only flavored versions and was unsure if that was okay.

Berry flavored Tums are fine, but make sure they do not have Vitamin D (some do.. .there are like a dozen different versions :shakehead). They will not like mint flavored at all!

I know the "squirrel cal" isn't recommended and I'll stop administering it to Vera but she's walking around again which makes me very happy, thank you again.

The Squirrel-Cal is fine for sprinkling on food I suppose, but without knowing amount of elemental calcium / volume I just do not know how to tell you to "dose" it in order to follow the MBD protocol. :dono

CritterMom
03-08-2023, 10:22 AM
Yes, Tums has gone nuts - chewy ones, all over the place. I suggest you look a little to the right or left of them at the store brand/generic versions, which are like the old fashioned Tums. Yes to getting berry flavor. I have a bottle sitting in front of me right now. On the rear label it says at the top that the active ingredient is 1000mg calcium carbonate. Adjust your magnifying glass a bit and read the rest of the label and halfway down under "Other Information" it tells me that each tablet contains 400mg ELEMENTAL CALCIUM.