PDA

View Full Version : All was well for 6 days and the last 2 feedings an appetite change occured

katebygosh
02-28-2023, 11:47 PM
Hi 6 days ago I found a baby squirrel, Ive read all I can
And felt like things were going well until tonight his appetite seems to be 1/2 it has been. I don't notice any clicking like aspiriation-I did complete switching from goat milk formula to squirrel formula (like advised,
1/ 4-1/2 3/4 ect.and noticed when it was 100% squirrel formula syringe is when his change occured. His eyes opened 3 days ago, he has bottom teeth, tops are barely in, feeding 5 1/2 ccs q 3hours his weight is 110.8 grams with steady increase. Pooping the same ,peeing the same just not as excited to eat. I use a 3 cc. Syringe and never noticed a choke or nose milk. Hope I'm not headed for problems ...any ideas? I do have human antibiotics on hand like clyndamycin,cephlexin,zithromax and amox.doxy If needed thank you

Spanky
03-01-2023, 06:34 AM
Hi 6 days ago I found a baby squirrel, Ive read all I can
And felt like things were going well until tonight his appetite seems to be 1/2 it has been. I don't notice any clicking like aspiriation-I did complete switching from goat milk formula to squirrel formula (like advised,
1/ 4-1/2 3/4 ect.and noticed when it was 100% squirrel formula syringe is when his change occured. His eyes opened 3 days ago, he has bottom teeth, tops are barely in, feeding 5 1/2 ccs q 3hours his weight is 110.8 grams with steady increase. Pooping the same ,peeing the same just not as excited to eat. I use a 3 cc. Syringe and never noticed a choke or nose milk. Hope I'm not headed for problems ...any ideas? I do have human antibiotics on hand like clyndamycin,cephlexin,zithromax and amox.doxy If needed thank you

In trouble shooting it would be helpful to know which "squirrel formula" are you using (e.g. Fox Valley 20/50, Fox Valley 32/40, Zoologic 33/40, Esbilac, other?).

FWIW, a 3ml syringe is a fairly large syringe for a 110gm. Very experienced folks might use a 3ml syringe at this size, but it would be a much safer route to use 1ml syringes for a while longer.

At his age I would start feeding every 4 hours... I am guessing this may be the reason for his lack of enthusiasm every 3 hours. I have attached some feeding cheat sheets that may prove helpful.

Some of the meds listed will work for AP (Aspiration Pneumonia) but are not "ideal", unless the "amox" is amoxicillin+clavulanate (AKA Augmentin). Best choices are Baytril, Cipro or Augmentin (in that order). The doxycycline and clindamycin *can* be effective and are better than nothing, but not the first line choices for AP.

katebygosh
03-01-2023, 08:11 AM
In trouble shooting it would be helpful to know which "squirrel formula" are you using (e.g. Fox Valley 20/50, Fox Valley 32/40, Zoologic 33/40, Esbilac, other?).

FWIW, a 3ml syringe is a fairly large syringe for a 110gm. Very experienced folks might use a 3ml syringe at this size, but it would be a much safer route to use 1ml syringes for a while longer.

At his age I would start feeding every 4 hours... I am guessing this may be the reason for his lack of enthusiasm every 3 hours. I have attached some feeding cheat sheets that may prove helpful.

Some of the meds listed will work for AP (Aspiration Pneumonia) but are not "ideal", unless the "amox" is amoxicillin+clavulanate (AKA Augmentin). Best choices are Baytril, Cipro or Augmentin (in that order). The doxycycline and clindamycin *can* be effective and are better than nothing, but not the first line choices for AP.

Thank you for the feeding chart, I will pick up a 1cc syringe today and we woke up this am ravenous so were back on track and I will order some meds to have on hand today. I swithched my formula to fox valley 20/50 . Thanks again

Spanky
03-01-2023, 08:23 AM
I switched my formula to fox valley 20/50.

:blissGlad to hear appetite has returned.
:thumbsup On the Fox Valley 20/50.