PDA

View Full Version : Hit by Car?

Poncho
09-24-2007, 05:27 PM
My teenage daughter brought a squirrel in Saturday that she found in the road on her walk home. It was limp and mostly unresponsive, but had one eye open and blinked occasionally. Breathing was fast and hard. I thought it would most likely die within a few hours, but wanted to at least make it comfortable, so we made it a bed in a box with an old t-shirt.

His little face was dirty, so i attempted to just clean it off, but it looked like he was trying to suck the moisture out of the cloth. I gave it some water with a straw.

Later on, he seemed even more alert, but still limp. I offered it some peanut butter on a fork, and to my surprise, he ate it.

Sunday morning I put him on the floor and tested all of his limbs. His hind legs seemed to have some movement, but his front paws were completely limp. His tail twitched a little. I continued giving him water and a taste of PB occasionally throughout the day. By Sunday evening, he could scuttle across the floor using his back legs, pushing his face and front paws on the ground.

He obviously is not comfortable on his left side at all, but will rest quietly on his right side. I have to wrap him up so that his paws are hidden because he bit them twice yesterday resulting in lots of bleeding. Not sure if it was on purpose, or if they just got in his mouth by accident since he is very clumsy and can't move.

Looking at him last night, we really felt bad for him being in such condition and I was told to take him to the humane society today to be put to sleep. But when I looked at him this morning, I just had to play with him a little more. I got a pair of needle nose pliers and gave him a pecan. HE LOVED IT! He actually would kind of raise up, using his neck muscles to get to the nut, and would watch me put another nut on, and chattered a little bit in anticipation. He ate quite a few, until I decided that he shouldn't eat that much in his condition right now.

I put him on the floor again, and he still scoots using his back feet, but now he makes his tail go in a circle, almost like a propeller. Definitely more spunky, but still unable to sit up or use front paws.

Went to the pharmacy just a while ago and got some Ensure. He really LOVES that too. He actively "drank" almost 3 ccs. of that. I didn't want to give him much.

I just don't know what to do here. I can't tell if he is suffering because of my intervention, or if he really could fully recover. HELP!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Apple Corps
09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Poncho - first - he needs to be on a heating pad with a towel over it. The pad should be covering 1/2 the bottom of the box or whatever you have him in - that way he can crawl on or off as needed for heat - set the pad temp on LOW.

Next - hydrate him with Pedialyte - you can purchase that at the grocery or drug store - it will hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.

Third - keep his box in a calm & quiet area of your house - so he can relax.

A vet can give you some Dexamethasone - great for reducing swelling and nerve damage.

How is he doing now??

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-24-2007, 05:44 PM
You did excellent by giving him Ensure!! You can also try putting a heating pad under his box on low, the heat will feel good to him. Is he pooping and peeing? You can continue providing ensure by dropper or syringe. Keep him in a contained spot so he does not move around a lot. To hear hes gained some strength in the past day or so is encouraging.
I will leave others respond who are more knowledgable about this siguation.
Should we find a rehabber for you as a back up? We will need to know city & state.
It sounds to me that his paws could be broken it is nomal for them to try to chew off what they cannot feel.
I am thinking he really should be assesed by someone. Does he have any use of his front paws?
I believe Dex is only useful in the early stages of trauma as in first few days someone correct me if I am wrong.
Can you look around for info on a wildlife vet in your area?

Poncho
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
I think it is an adult, but a small one. He is being kept warm and I hope comfortable, though i have him wrapped so he can't bite his feet anymore. I get him out to "exercise" his limbs a couple times a day. He does poop and pee and seems to have good appetite, but I don't know how much to feed him or how often. Like I said earlier, I don't know if what I am doing is helping him or hurting him more in the long run.

Mrs. Jack
09-24-2007, 05:54 PM
It seems to me that if he were ready to give up living, he wouldn't be showing so much interest in food. But he is.. he's not ready. Probably it'd be best to find a rehabber or shelter... you're a good person.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-24-2007, 05:58 PM
No you are helping him!! He needs to have his paws looked at though.
Even if we can find a rehabber they would have means of xrays ect for him.
Continue feeding as much as he will take. Also pedialyte or water, and some nuts of course they are making him happy. Time is of the essence though if this is a break it will need to be wrapped as quickly as possible.
Could you tell us what city in KY?

4skwerlz
09-24-2007, 06:06 PM
I think there's hope, but he probably needs a vet. The fact that he bit his front legs means he can't feel them or they're "tingly". This means nerve damage, probably due to a break of some kind. This will need to be fixed very soon or he could lose both front paws--not a nice life for a squirrel. Can you find a vet that will see him?

Bless you for taking him in.

Mars
09-24-2007, 06:15 PM
here is the list of KY rehabbers :)

http://fw.ky.gov/rehablist.aspx

Nova
09-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I a had squirrel in the same condition. He would not use his front limbs. I am not sure if it has nerve damage or broke collar bone. But I had given him the dexamethasone injection, which a vet can do for you. Within about two weeks he was get around and using his front limbs well. Not perfectly. It took about a month and a half until I could release him.. Good Luck:thumbsup

Poncho
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
My squirrel's problems seem to be more complicated than I had originally thought. I have come to the conclusion that the reason he prefers to lay on the one side only is because i think he is also blind in one eye. If I hold the nut in front of his "good" eye, he turns to the nut and eats it, but if I do the same on the other side, no response.

I think he might have slight brain damage--but then again, he seems too alert. You can just see in his eyes that he is "there".

thundersquirrel
09-24-2007, 07:06 PM
here are some common symptoms of brain damage:

tilting (mostly the head)
stargazing (lifts head, it floats down slowwwwly, repeats)
blood at eyes/ears
long trances
seizures

these are just some of the common ones. i think you're right about the head trauma.

adult squirrels that are injured often need ONE THING more than ANYTHING: time. time, time, time. my mother and i don't euthanize for a full week unless we're 100% sure the squirrel won't heal. if they improve in the week or after medicine, we wait as long as we need to.

the squirrel was in shock when you first got him. i caution you; be VERY careful around him. i have a feeling his brain damage may allow you to handle him, but if he snaps out of it or gains energy, he may bite you.

get the dexamethasone as soon as possible, or get him to a rehabber. adult squirrels are very difficult to work with sometimes. there is a possibility that this one will heal- though in all honesty, it's a little more likely he won't. don't give up hope though- i can't judge his situation fully over the internet.

can we get some pictures of him?

Poncho
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Is this DEX stuff something that any vet can just give to me? None of the ones I called around here today would even see a squirrel. But if I can get some and give it to him myself, I would be glad to try that.

He does get a little "snappy" when I go to pick him up sometimes, and he actually got his teeth on me earlier, but it didn't puncture my skin. I think I was lucky I only handle him with gloves on. But I must say that it was a hard enough bite that I took the glove off really quick to see if I was bleeding!! LOL

I have several pictures of him if someone would tell me how to post them. I am kinda new to all of this.

Byrd
09-24-2007, 07:38 PM
ya to post pictures in the reply section click the paper clip icon in the new window hit browse then upload and when done click the paper clip again and it will bring up a list of photos and click them to add. and im glad that you started your own thread.

Apple Corps
09-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Poncho - you need to splint AND wrap the front legs - thick wrap - to prevent the fuzzer from chewing its legs off due to nerve damage. Popsicle / kraft sticks make good splints - this is important to do quickly.

Poncho
09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Here are some pics.

Poncho
09-24-2007, 08:43 PM
And a couple more.

Mrs. Jack
09-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Omg. the poor darling. And you all as well, you're darlings for helping him out like this.

4skwerlz
09-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Poor lil' guy. He looks like a sweetie and also a fighter. I think he knows you're helping him. Bless you.:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

pamela lee
09-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Thank You for taking in this dear sweet baby and helping keep it alive. Good luck finding someone to help it.

thundersquirrel
09-24-2007, 09:42 PM
looks like you have a lady, there. i'm not 100% certain cause it's a bit covered, but i don't see the usual man goods. :D

does she ever untwist her arms? is her back usually arched? has she ever bled from any orifice?

try to splint her arms like AC said. work together. ;) it's for the best.

if a head injury is involved, she's really better off with some dex, and if vets won't treat her, i think it's time to find a rehabber. :) a rehabber is far less likely to suggest euthanasia anyway. much better than a vet.

how old is your daughter? i'm eighteen. :D

thundersquirrel
09-24-2007, 10:10 PM
hey i just thought of something.

have you been trying exotic animal vets, or just vets offices in general? if you can't find a rehabber, you'll definitely need some kind of vet....she really needs dex too. maybe you can get the dex if we help you dose it? a lot of vets simply aren't comfortable with handling small animals to treat them, but if you weigh her and we figure it out...perhaps they'd sell you some?

poor baby....

Apple Corps
09-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Poncho - we have had god luck getting a vet to help in many areas. We need to know what city you are in - please Private message or email one of us ASAP so we can start to line up the help.

Thanks so much for helping.

Poncho
09-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Bedtime for Chip. Going to see rehabber tomorrow. :thumbsup

thundersquirrel
09-24-2007, 11:01 PM
good to hear about the rehabber. :thumbsup

i would just like to mention a case i had with an adult before now. she was hopping in a strange way and some people thought she was injured badly. we managed to capture her and take her home.

very soon afterwards, her entire body had seized up. she was still alive, but couldn't move (see the picture below) and her limbs were twisting much like your squirrel's.

unfortunately we couldn't save this one (didn't get enough medicine in time), but the two just seem a bit familiar....if the squirrel had been lying on it's side unable to move, that would explain it's hurt eye, which may have been resting on the cement or attacked by ants.

not saying this is the case (this seems rare- hasn't popped up again since) but i had to mention it.

here's the one we had.

Poncho
09-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Here are some pics from breakfast and early morning exercise.

Poncho
09-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I was supposed to call the rehabber back this morning to get directions to her place, but I am not getting any answer yet. She may be out feeding or something. But I am not even sure that I am comfortable with this woman anyway because she said a lot of things on the phone last night that contradicted what everyone else says about squirrels. I just don't know.

Abacat
09-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Those look like electrical burns...was she by any transformers or wires?

Sarabi
09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
OMG:bowdown Bless you. I will pray for you and ponch omjs

Pam
09-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Those look like electrical burns...was she by any transformers or wires?

That's what I was thinking. :thumbsup

LynninIN
09-25-2007, 10:19 AM
The black paw means the blood supply is not getting to that area. The paw will most likely need to be amputated to save Chip's life. Have you tried other rehabbers numbers from the list. I know you care about Chip and want to do what's best for him. Chip needs emergency treatment.

Poncho
09-25-2007, 10:19 AM
You know, that is very possible. We are only guessing that she was hit by a car since she was found on the road. But there ARE electric wires and transformers in the area she was found...and the only thing I saw on her when she was handed to me was tiny gravel/dirt on her face as though she hit the ground hard on one side and some brownish fluid on the fur around her mouth. I really couldn't tell if it was blood or just dirty saliva.

Abacat
09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Gamma is right, Poncho please see if you can get ahold of the rehabber Lynn suggested. Your lil girl I suspect was electrocuted...Why did you think she was hit? Because of where she was found?

Buddy'sMom
09-25-2007, 10:21 AM
What a sweetie!! It's wonderful that you are trying to help her.

Perhaps if you print out the information you have received here, and explain to the rehabber that you have gotten these suggestions from a group of experienced rehabbers who are trying to help you find good help for the squirrel? That might give you a little more credibility -- and you might find that the rehabber will talk to you a little more about what she is thinking. Since the rehabber has not met you or seen the squirrel, she may be a little bit leary about what the situation really is. If she has experience with squirrels, it would be helpful to at least let her have a look and see what she suggests. It might "match up" better at that point with the TSB suggestions. And she might have access to a wildlife vet.

Alternatively -- or in addition -- have you checked if there are any other rehabbers close enough for you to get to (or meet halfway)? For a second opinion or a back-up plan?

Without meaning to scare you, since you mentioned that she was chewing on her paws, it is pretty urgent that she gets medical help before she has any chance to resort to "self help" (good thinking, by the way, to wrap her paws so she can't chew :thumbsup -- but that is only a temporary solution, of course).

So you need to find someone to trust to evaluate her and, hopefully, provide meds and/or care to address what's going on with her. I'm quite certain that our rehabbers would be happy to confer with a local rehabber and/or vet to offer the benefit of their experience and knowledge of squirrel injuries, if that would be considered a helpful resource.

Good luck and thank you for taking care of her!!
:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

EDIT: I didn't read back far enough to see that LynninIN had a contact for you -- please trust her!!!

Abacat
09-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Some symptoms of electical burns:
paws may be burned
paralysis
blindness
shock
What color are her lips/gums? Can you see if they are pale or blueish?

Pam
09-25-2007, 10:29 AM
The black paw means the blood supply is not getting to that area. The paw will most likely need to be amputated to save Chip's life. Have you tried other rehabbers numbers from the list. I know you care about Chip and want to do what's best for him. Chip needs emergency treatment.

poncho, you can trust the contact that Lynn suggested. The exotic vet would be great.

Poncho
09-25-2007, 11:03 AM
I just got off the phone with a place in Louisville called Broadbend Wildlife. The original rehabber that I talked to made arrangements with them to take Chip. They have a retired wildlife vet that lives on the property and about 10 fulltime rehabbers on staff at the facility that is like an ER for animals.

I will be taking chip there tomorrow. I unwrapped her and checked all of her paws. Her back paws are brownish/pinkish and the front ones are a bit black. Can't really tell if they are burned or not, but they are warm. Even the left one feels nice and warm. Hope that's a good sign that at least there is some circulation. Seems to be a little more muscle tone in the front limbs as well.

Her tongue is very pink, and her lips are dark. She knows what the syringe is now and starts to "lap" as soon as she sees it coming. She REALLY LIKES Ensure!

Buddy'sMom
09-25-2007, 11:18 AM
:thumbsup That's fantastic news!!! It sounds like just the right place for her -- you are doing such a wonderful job with her! :bowdown :bowdown :thumbsup We will keep all our fingers and toes crossed for her. Let us know what they say after they examine her -- we would love to hear updates on how she is doing. :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Abacat
09-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for looking out for Chip...I'm glad you got ahold of a place for her. Please keep us updated... (and if they tell you what they thought happened to her, sometimes it's hard to "diagnose online".) I hope she will be okay. :grouphug Thanks again and :Welcome

LynninIN
09-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Poncho, you are wonderful for taking care of Chip. It's great news that his front paws are warm. I was so worried that an amputation could be necessary. Please keep us updated on Chip's progress.

Apple Corps
09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Poncho - I wonder if a high voltage shock was involved - burned paws??

Amber Squirl
09-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Poor little squirrel:grouphug I just wish that I could hold her and comfort her. Glad to hear that she is eating and that her will to live is so strong. I just hope and pray that the people that you turn her over to will see how strong her will is and will work just as hard to keep her alive. Even if she has to be a disable squirrel, this squirrel doesn't want to die and is working very hard to survive.
May all the Squirrely Angels above watch over and help her and thank you for caring!

jules
09-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Thats excellent news, Poncho!
Your doing a great job!:thumbsup

thundersquirrel
09-25-2007, 02:24 PM
wonderful news, poncho! and tell you daughter

THANK YOU!

from everyone here on the squirrel board!

when you take her to the wildlife place, be sure to mention electrocution. i'm almost certain that's what happened, and the MORE THEY KNOW about the squirrel, the more likely they can help her!

good luck! let us know what happens! :thumbsup

island rehabber
09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Good work, poncho! :thumbsup I think thundersquirrel may be right on target with the electrocution/burns theory. I found a poor squirrel who'd been electrocuted on our property last month, and his mouth and paws looked very similar to Chip's.....unfortunately he was killed instantly. :( Prayers and good energies coming your way for Chip tomorrow!!

barneysmom
09-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone; I'm brand new and have just been reading about Poncho's little girl. Congratulations on a wonderful job! And I want you to know that all of you sound like the best kind of people in the world. I only wish I knew more people like you where I live because there aren't many of them who love squirrels the way you (and I) do. I've been a rehabber for about 7 years and squirrels have become my passion with the help of one of the best rehabbers in New York. I look forward to signing on again just to see what's going on with squirrel lovers across the country! Bye for now.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Nice to have you here Barneysmom!! Jump right in..if you love squirrels this is the place to be. Continued prayers and good thoughts for the little girl.

thundersquirrel
09-25-2007, 04:15 PM
hello barneysmom! :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome

thank you for the compliments, but you're making us blush! lol

we could ALWAYS use more members just like you! you should make your very own thread in the welcome center.

maybe you know island rehabber- she also lives in new york! if you don't, PM her! :D

island rehabber
09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
here I am :wave123! :Welcome barneysmom -- it's great to have you with us and especially great to have another "local" on board. The NY metro area is terribly underserved as far as wildlife rehabilitation.....two of us here on TSB, me and "newyorker", and one other rehabber named Chris are covering NYC and the 5 boroughs. It's nuts, as you can imagine. Do you work out at the Squirrel Sanctuary? That place is just heaven.... :bowdown :)

Poncho
09-25-2007, 05:47 PM
I have my driving directions to the wildlife sanctuary and some supplies packed for little Chip's adventure to his new home tomorrow. According to the google map, this will be about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from here. We will be leaving at 6:30 am.

I will take my camera with me so that I can get a few shots of his new environment if possible.

Mars
09-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I think the drive tomorrow will be a step into a new adventure for both of you. Thank you so much for stepping up to this challenge and taking such good care of this injuried little one. :grouphug

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-25-2007, 06:09 PM
:::eye's tearing::: that is so, touching..you are a great human!!
You have alot to be proud of..not many people would do what your doing!!
Especailly with gas as expensive as it is...No one want to do any thing..for the love of their money!! ::::High five!!:::
With out sounding condisending..Im very proud..of what you did..awesome...for stepping up..and helping this poor little soul!!!
:grouphug

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-25-2007, 06:17 PM
about three months ago.. my family and I were tacking up our horses..and we live in the woods....here out from behind the tack room comes this pigeon draggen its wing...and It was all bloody..well..I grabbed it and put it ina cat carrier....copied its id down..a long...story short..calling Joe...shmoe..and his brother..well I fianlly found the owner..he said..the bird it worthless to him...probably a broken wing..and that he would take the burden off of me..(crying the whole time how much gas $ he would be waisting to come pick up this bird) and that he would JST PUT it to SLEEP any ways...I nearly gave birth on the phone..""tilt""tilt"" no, I said..you don't have to come get him..Ive been feeding and caring forit for three day's if the gas $is the problem..Ill give you some..just dont put it down..no, he's said..he would..so, I kept it..and nursed it back to health..and 3 months later it healed up..on it's own..and flew...back to HIS rotten owner....so, an act of kindness..is great..when it saves a soul...Just had to share this with you...
:grouphug :thumbsup
Rachel.........................

4skwerlz
09-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Bless you for doing this!!!! :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

Buddy'sMom
09-25-2007, 06:28 PM
I have my driving directions to the wildlife sanctuary and some supplies packed for little Chip's adventure to his new home tomorrow. According to the google map, this will be about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from here. We will be leaving at 6:30 am.

I will take my camera with me so that I can get a few shots of his new environment if possible.

Hope you have a good trip. You might take a sheet or towel to put over Chip's box/carrier/cage in case the trip seems stressful -- they are calmer if it's dark and quiet. Chip may just curl up and sleep. The camera is a good idea -- you will want pictures to remind you of Chip's new home. (And we would love to see them, too! :D )

Abacat
09-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Good Luck with the trip tomorrow, Poncho. I'm so glad you are helping lil Chip, you are a very good person.:) How is Chip doing? We'd love to see pics if you'd like to share them! :jump Please keep in touch and let us know how it goes for you and Chip. Take Care...:grouphug

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
All of my fuzzers want to thank you for helping out their friend!:thumbsup

Poncho
09-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Chip is very perky tonight. She seemed to enjoy chewing on her box, so Mr Poncho held her up so she could do that for the better part of an hour. She seems to be using her front paws just a bit to "push" with when tearing of a big chunk, but still does not try to grasp anything.

I don't do too well with coordination when it comes to pushing the button on the camera at the same time as holding the syringe, so that is why the one shot is so messy. She is really a very neat eater when not being squirted.

I guess the good news is that she is MUCH stronger than she was on Saturday. I think she has a good chance for a decent life.

4skwerlz
09-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Wonderful pictures. Poor little Chip. It's amazing how they seem to know when you're helping them. This is an amazing story, and no matter what happens, you are truly amazing people! Please let us know what the vet says--we're all pulling for you. :grouphug :grouphug

Apple Corps
09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Pancho - an important suggestion - bring the syringe up from the bottom - feeding as shown in the pics may cause your fuzzer to aspirate the liquid into its lungs - a very bad thing.

Apple Corps
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Mars - can you post you pic - I'll try to find mine.

AC

atlantasquirrelgirl
09-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Bless you, Poncho, for taking the time to get this squirrel help, and please keep us posted.

Apple Corps
09-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Poncho - this is a much younger fuzzer but you will get the idea - much lower chance of aspiration:

thundersquirrel
09-25-2007, 09:10 PM
you've done wonderfully, thank you so much. ask the wildlife folks to show you around! you're making the trip, you might as well get everything you can out of it. :)

Rhapsody
09-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Poncho - an important suggestion - bring the syringe up from the bottom - feeding as shown in the pics may cause your fuzzer to aspirate the liquid into its lungs - a very bad thing.

Here is a PIC of one of my two eating properly.... :thumbsup

Poncho
09-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys. I will try to alter the position a bit. But don't worry too much. Other than the pic-taking incident, I don't actually squeeze it into her mouth. She really just uses her tongue and licks it. That was the only real mouthful she has had. I just accidently pushed the plunger when i pushed the camera button. Also, I am usually the one holding her when she gets fed, so it really is lower that way...was just trying to get some good shots before she leaves tomorrow. Gonna miss the little cutie.

Rhapsody
09-25-2007, 09:42 PM
But don't worry too much. Other than the pic-taking incident, I don't actually squeeze it into her mouth.

I just accidently pushed the plunger when i pushed the camera button. Also, I am usually the one holding her when she gets fed, so it really is lower that way...was just trying to get some good shots before she leaves tomorrow. Gonna miss the little cutie.

I understand that problem all to well..... for I am usually the one feeding my two as well and it is hard to feed them the right way and take the pic....... :)

BTW - I LoVe the Name "Poncho" - that is my baby brothers name as well, if you can call a 34 year old 6' 4" Man a baby Brother....... :rotfl
.... we used to live in Kentucky as well - born there.

thundersquirrel
09-25-2007, 09:46 PM
it's normal to feel sad. you really are doing the best thing, though. these folks will be able to devote a lot of time and medical attention to this little one.

also, don't forget to ask about their release plan! maybe they'll let you come to the release, or even release the squirrel in your yard! :thumbsup

Poncho
09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Well, after 308 miles, 7 hours and a gallon of tears, I am home again. Chip is at her new home.

The results of her initial exam are that she is about 2 years old, and her front paws are not black because of any type of injury...its walnut stain.:D

She was definitely hit by a car and has some swelling in the spine and a good knot on the back of the head, but has no broken bones and the doctor expects that she will regain the use of her front limbs very soon and should make a complete, full recovery!!:wahoo

She was given an injection of 5 mg Dexamethazone, and also got another shot of fluids since she is somewhat dehydrated. She will continue getting fluids by injection about every 2 hours in addition to food and water.

Here are some pics for you, and thank you all for your help and support. :flash3

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Poncho you are our hero!! May nothing but goodness come you way for all that you have done. :grouphug :bowdown :Love_Icon :Love_Icon
And even better news that little girl will be ok.:wahoo

pamela lee
09-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I truly admire your dedication to this sweet dear squirrel. It is a wonderful thing you have done for Chip. Because of you she may run free in the trees again, you must be very proud. Thanks for giving us the update.
Good Luck in your recovery sweet Chip.

Pam
09-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Thank you, Poncho! :bowdown God bless you and Chip! :grouphug

LynninIN
09-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Walnut stain? Wow, we were way off on that one. I'm very happy about being wrong. :)

Poncho, you are my hero today!!! That was a lot of miles to save a squirrel. You fit in well on this board, I hope you stick around. You would make a good rehabber. Any thoughts of this after caring for Chip?

barneysmom
09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
here I am :wave123! :Welcome barneysmom -- it's great to have you with us and especially great to have another "local" on board. The NY metro area is terribly underserved as far as wildlife rehabilitation.....two of us here on TSB, me and "newyorker", and one other rehabber named Chris are covering NYC and the 5 boroughs. It's nuts, as you can imagine. Do you work out at the Squirrel Sanctuary? That place is just heaven.... :bowdown :)

Dear Island Rehabber: I hope this message goes through; write me back and we'll see if we can work together on the little ones. I leave it up to you. I don't know how to do this "chat room" stuff!

Apple Corps
09-26-2007, 02:13 PM
It sounds like GREAT NEWS - CONGRATULATIONS and thank you soooooo much for caring :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

My diagnosis over the internet was wrong - I must have meant to say Walnut Shock Syndrome :shakehead :shakehead

The Dexamethasone injections will be of value for either injury (trauma or shock) - so a Happy Update thus far and you did GOOOOOOOOOOD

mjs mjs mjs mjs mjs mjs mjs mjs

thundersquirrel
09-26-2007, 03:28 PM
wonderful news! those facilities are AMAZING, especially when i have to work out of my own bedroom. :thinking :rotfl

chip will be so happy, and she'll never forget her auntie poncho. ;)

Abacat
09-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Poncho, That's great news about Chip! :wahoo I'm so glad I was wrong, it's just very hard to try and make a "diagnosis" from pics online, not seeing the damage firsthand. You saved Chip's life, thanks to you Chip will have a squirrely life! You are a hero! :thankyou
Now I gotta go checkout your kitties again...:D
:wave123 Eustace and Arwen!

scoobysnack
09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm nominating you for squirrel hero of the year!:jump

susanw
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I haven't been able to spend as much time on the board lately, but have been reading your story. You and Chip have touched my heart with all the love, and his will to make it! Bless you for being such a wonderful human being! Nothing but the best for Chip!:Love_Icon

Poncho
09-26-2007, 07:04 PM
I just got off the phone with Brian, one of the night-shift guys at Chip's new home. He said that Chip was given fluids again by injection about an hour ago, and had eaten some nuts on her own in the cage...so she CAN get around enough to eat a little, but they are also hand-feeding her to make sure she gets enough.

They have invited me back to tour the entire facility since it was raining today and I didn't get to look around much outside. They have 3500 acres with different sections for all the different creatures. There are monkeys, swans, ostriches, owls and other birds of prey, raccoons, rabbits, hedgehogs, badgers, otters, turkeys, deer...lots and lots of critters. I think we are going to go spend the day there not this weekend, but next. I will be sure to take more pics, especially of my little Chip.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-26-2007, 07:13 PM
It dosent take long for squirrels to steal your heart.:Love_Icon

Apple Corps
09-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Poncho - glad to learn that Chip is doing so well.

Do you think you will get Chip back so that he can be released back into his own territory? He may make a fast recovery - another week or two might not be out of the question??

thundersquirrel
09-26-2007, 09:16 PM
my goodness, that place sounds COOL!

i'm so glad it all worked out! :D :D :D

Poncho
09-26-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't think I will bring Chip home because its obviously too dangerous where she was. The place she is now is 3500 acres of boonies, and just seems like a wonderful place to be if you are an animal. I do wonder if she has a family that is grieving her right now--and would love to be able to reunite them-- but I think she is better off where she is now.

I would also like to say that I was officially put on the list of people to call by the first rehabber that I dealt with concerning Chip just as soon as she gets any babies to take care of in the spring. I guess I am really hooked now.

Squirrelly
09-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Poncho, I've been following your story too.....this is great news! I'm looking forward to hearing more about little Chip and seeing more pictures of her and the place you brought her to. Thank you so much for caring!!!:grouphug :thumbsup :) You are wonderful!!!!!:Love_Icon

Poncho
09-30-2007, 01:22 PM
I talked to the people at Broadbend today and was told that Chip has regained the use of her front paws, feeds herself, and quite frankly is "bouncing of the walls" of her house.

They expect to keep her inside for about another week to make sure that she is fully hydrated and completely recovered before putting her in the soft release cage outside. I am just stunned that she is doing so well after seeing her the way she came in this house a week ago.
:jump

4skwerlz
09-30-2007, 01:39 PM
:fireworks :fireworks :fireworks

:wott :wott :wott

Best news I've heard all week! Poncho, you are a great human being.:bowdown Bless you! :Love_Icon

Buddy'sMom
09-30-2007, 02:18 PM
WOW!! That is just the BEST NEWS!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Chip is one lucky squirrel -- that she found you and that you found fantastic help for her!! Go, Chip!! :crazy :crazy :crazy

And that's great that you want to take care of others -- you will do very well. Yup, "hooked" all right. :Love_Icon

Abacat
09-30-2007, 02:19 PM
I would also like to say that I was officially put on the list of people to call by the first rehabber that I dealt with concerning Chip just as soon as she gets any babies to take care of in the spring. I guess I am really hooked now.:wahoo More Good news!, does this mean you might become a squirrel foster mom? That's GREAT news about Chip too! :crazy I'm so happy for you and Chip, she will have a life to enjoy at Broadbend (thanks to you), sounds like a fantastic place for critters.:D Awesome job! :thumbsup

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-30-2007, 02:55 PM
What great news,, she owes her life to you and if she could would say :thankyou .

squirrelfriend
09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Wow, that is so amazing that she regained use of her arms. She is such a seet squirrel and you are a wonderful person for helping her. Thank you for caring.

Apple Corps
09-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Great News - we need more news like this mjs

Squirrelly
09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Poncho, that is fantastic news! :thumbsup Will you be seeing her one more time and maybe get to take some pictures of her? Or can the people at Broadbend possibly take some pictures of her for you?

Regardless, you have made ALL the difference in Chip's life!!!! :crazy :jump :thankyou so much for caring!:Love_Icon :grouphug :bowdown :alright.gif :wott