PDA

View Full Version : Access help for The Nut Lady

TheNutGuy
01-22-2023, 05:17 PM
Hi, all,

I’m “TheNutGuy” and I’m with “The Nut Lady.” We live together and take care of our backyard friends and we’ve been so happy to find this board. We have both been using the account for The Nut Lady, but as of a couple days ago we’ve been having issues with access so I created this account in hopes to get some help. We can’t access the board from our home IP address. Access via cellular seems to work okay, but posting anything or sending PMs always seems to timeout without sending. I’m wondering if her account has gotten caught up in some kind of automatic IP ban for some reason?

If an admin can please help, it would be greatly appreciated. We have an injured wild gray that we’ve been getting assistance with.

Bravo
01-22-2023, 06:22 PM
Hi. For what it's worth, you're not the only one. As of this weekend a ticket has been put in with our site host.

I'm not sure this is related to blocked IP's. However I see 107.77.206.112 listed for this post, are you able to determine the IP for the account/device not connecting?

For PMs, does writing the content in a separate application and then quickly copy/pasting into the PM work? Also, text only- no links, quotes, smileys, etc.

TheNutGuy
01-22-2023, 07:08 PM
Hi. For what it's worth, you're not the only one. As of this weekend a ticket has been put in with our site host.

I'm not sure this is related to blocked IP's. However I see 107.77.206.112 listed for this post, are you able to determine the IP for the account/device not connecting?

For PMs, does writing the content in a separate application and then quickly copy/pasting into the PM work? Also, text only- no links, quotes, smileys, etc.

Home IP sent in a PM. The 107 address is an LTE one via my phone.

There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to what causes access to stop or why messages don’t work, but when it does happen, recycling the cellular on the phone so it grabs a new IP seems to work. Access via the home IP has not worked at all (connection times out) for a few days now.

SamtheSquirrel2018
01-22-2023, 07:11 PM

Hi Bravo:
This access problem may be from using a VPN. I use a VPN and rarely (earlier today was one of those rare times) I have a problem accessing TSB while using my VPN. What I do to facilitate access is simply pause the VPN while I am on TSB and then turn it back on when done. Again, this problem with access using my VPN is relatively rare and for this post I have my VPN operational. My earlier posts today were made with my VPN paused as I could not access TSB using it.
Regards,
SamtheSquirel

Bravo
01-22-2023, 07:13 PM
Thanks, I've included your comment in our ticket.

Sam- agree, I also use a VPN but have had no issues, on or off. I could suggest this is with the site firewall or server, but can only guess.

McCarthy
01-22-2023, 11:25 PM
I'm having the exact same problem with my ISP at home (Spectrum).

IMO the issue is with the web-host of this forum. They use several anti spam / anti hack 3rd party services in order to determine who gets timed-out in order to save money on data center bandwidth. These 3rd party companies create traps (Honeypots) for spammers and hacker bots. Once those get trapped, the related IP gets blacklisted, and the web-hoster use those lists to ban IPs.

The issue is, that spammers and hackers use infested hosts for their activity, hence the computers and servers from compromised companies and individuals. Most individuals get dynamic IPs and they renew every so often, meaning that the ban gets passed on to people that never caused any issues and never owned a compromised computer.

This entire "system" of fighting spam and hacking is highly questionable, because web-hoster using those 3rd party blacklists don't care about the integrity of the provider. One of those 3rd part providers has been known to ignore false-positive reports for decades by now.

If the hoster is not willing to ignore a certain blacklist, you will not get access. Since they use those blacklist on the data center level, they won't turn it off for one complaining customer.

The only way around is getting a new dynamic IP from your internet service provider, and that is often impossible on their end. The customer service folks at Spectrum don't have a tool on their end to provide customers with a new IP. Most other ISPs are the same.

With Spectrum there is a loophole that gets me a fresh IP. I have to disconnect the modem, log into my router, and give my router a new MAC address, then restart the router and modem. The new MAC address makes my ISP believe that a new customer is connected, and they always get a new IP. Keep in mind, that many routers won't allow you to change the MAC address, and some that do, require sys admin / coding skills on the console.

Some ISP will make you buy a new router if you ask for a new dyn IP.

Problem is, that many IPs have been compromised at some point in the past, so chances are you will run into the same issue again. Some ISP even ban the entire IP range, based on certain blacklists. So if your new dyn IP is in the same range, you may still face time-outs.

PS: use this IP ban checker. If you are listed, chances are your dyn IP gets banned on certain websites. Not being able to send emails from a local email client like Outlook is another common issue.

https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Bravo
01-23-2023, 09:11 AM
Thanks McCarthy, agree. If I recall correctly TSB has been on a blacklisted IP more than once in the past, but our ISP (Homepage Universe, formerly URLJet) has responded and either changed it or gone through a process to get it removed.

As this seems to be the official Problem Thread, I'll include this:

Our ticket was updated late last night:

Hello, We have found a rule in our ModSecurity Application firewall that was running false/positive blocks and disabled the rule. Please try it again and let us know...

Hopefully better from here. If continuing issues with posting/PM's/links/quotes etc, please post in this thread. :great

Charley Chuckles
01-23-2023, 09:42 AM
YIPEEEEEE I'M ON :bliss:bliss
I've been locked down for 2 days and missed SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY 🐿️
I believe I was being held hostage by all the squirrels 🥴🤣
Nice to see you all again :wave123

McCarthy
01-23-2023, 02:47 PM
Not working for me, I'll send you my home IP. Please add the IP to the ticket and asked them to whitelist it.

TheNutGuy
01-23-2023, 05:07 PM
The Nut Lady and I are still blocked from our home IP - connections are timing out.

Bravo
01-23-2023, 05:10 PM
Can you confirm IP's? Suggest Googling 'what's my IP' for latest external address.

The Nut Lady
01-23-2023, 05:45 PM
Hi Bravo. Our IP address is the same one that TheNutGuy sent you via PM. It’s a static one. Thanks for your work on getting this fixed and good luck!

Can you confirm IP's? Suggest Googling 'what's my IP' for latest external address.

Bravo
01-23-2023, 05:59 PM
Hi Bravo. Our IP address is the same one that TheNutGuy sent you via PM. It’s a static one. Thanks for your work on getting this fixed and good luck!

Thanks, forwarded that one.

Bravo
01-23-2023, 07:25 PM
NL- Homepage advises that they've whitelisted your IP. However they also commented that they found no block on this address. If this device still can't connect to TSB, I'd suggest there are a few possibilities that should be eliminated before troubleshooting further. I'm sure you've heard them before...

Full power off. Physically disconnect the network/internet cable from the device. Wait a couple of minutes before reconnecting and booting up. Clear browsing history and cookies. Try connecting to the main page of TSB, not New Posts or specific threads- www.thesquirrelboard.com

If still no dice, screencaps of errors you're seeing would be great.

TheNutGuy
01-23-2023, 10:24 PM
NL- Homepage advises that they've whitelisted your IP. However they also commented that they found no block on this address. If this device still can't connect to TSB, I'd suggest there are a few possibilities that should be eliminated before troubleshooting further. I'm sure you've heard them before...

Full power off. Physically disconnect the network/internet cable from the device. Wait a couple of minutes before reconnecting and booting up. Clear browsing history and cookies. Try connecting to the main page of TSB, not New Posts or specific threads- www.thesquirrelboard.com

If still no dice, screencaps of errors you're seeing would be great.

Rebooted both of my network devices and still can't connect. Have had zero issues with any other sites out on the internet, so I'm thinking this problem is closer to thesquirrelboard's host than on my end.

For what it's worth, a Wireshark trace shows only SYN packets leaving my devices with zero SYN-ACK returns, and then all corresponding SYN retransmits until the final RSTs. So definitely dead in the water.

Bravo
01-24-2023, 08:37 AM
Rebooted both of my network devices and still can't connect. Have had zero issues with any other sites out on the internet, so I'm thinking this problem is closer to thesquirrelboard's host than on my end.

For what it's worth, a Wireshark trace shows only SYN packets leaving my devices with zero SYN-ACK returns, and then all corresponding SYN retransmits until the final RSTs. So definitely dead in the water.

Got it... and forwarded. So 403's are appearing?

TheNutGuy
01-24-2023, 09:28 AM
Got it... and forwarded. So 403's are appearing?

Negative - not even getting connected to the server, as confirmed via network trace on one of my devices.

The error that pops up is via the browser itself - “connection timed out”

McCarthy
01-24-2023, 09:50 AM
CC is also not able to get on, I asked her to provide me with her IP, waiting on that.

That being said, there are many more people not responding to my main thread and I have a feeling that there are countless people getting the time-out, many may think that the forum was turned off and won't come back.

This problem is not fixed by whitelisting those few who know how to use a cell-hotspot, heck most won't even try.

The web-hoster needs to know that his false-positive bans may cause the downfall of this forum. If they don't fix it, I strongly suggest moving the forum to a better hoster. I use this one: https://www.superb.net/ for the past 20 years. They have dedicated servers starting at $89 right now. Cloud based would be another option. How much do you guys pay for hosting?

This forum also needs an update IMO so that issues with posting photos and videos become a thing of the past. The version of this forum is 10 years old.

Bravo
01-24-2023, 02:06 PM
Appreciate the thoughts, M, may be able to look at those later. One headache at a time.

Mel1959
01-24-2023, 03:46 PM
I am able to log on from my home if I turn my Wi-Fi off and use my cell provider instead.

SamtheSquirrel2018
01-24-2023, 03:57 PM
CC is also not able to get on, I asked her to provide me with her IP, waiting on that.

That being said, there are many more people not responding to my main thread and I have a feeling that there are countless people getting the time-out, many may think that the forum was turned off and won't come back.

This problem is not fixed by whitelisting those few who know how to use a cell-hotspot, heck most won't even try.

The web-hoster needs to know that his false-positive bans may cause the downfall of this forum. If they don't fix it, I strongly suggest moving the forum to a better hoster. I use this one: https://www.superb.net/ for the past 20 years. They have dedicated servers starting at $89 right now. Cloud based would be another option. How much do you guys pay for hosting?

This forum also needs an update IMO so that issues with posting photos and videos become a thing of the past. The version of this forum is 10 years old.

Hi McCarthy:
I have been at work for most of the past 3 days and have had little time to stay on TSB but I just noticed your post and wanted to put in my 1/2-cent worth:

I agree that other options for webhosting should be considered but I believe the problem with responding to your thread is that until it is once again bumped back into view, no one actually sees it because it is tucked away withing the Major Topic of "Introduce yourself." You obviously no longer need to be introduced!! My suggestion for improved visibility of your posts is (with your permission and that of Admin, of course!) would be to ask one of the Admins to take your thread out of the Introduction Topic and place it in a thread all of your own. The question then would where to put it in the already started Topics; maybe "Breed Specific, Pet Squirrels, etc" or maybe with how popular your posts about your Squirrel Adventures have been with many members on TSB; maybe creation of a new Major Topic would be a possibly and then your thread could reside within your own Major Topic such as "McCarthy's Squirrels" or whatever)!

I have some specific comments about MBD and the diet of your newly adopted Squirrel but I will need to post them when I have more time.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

McCarthy
01-24-2023, 04:20 PM
Hi McCarthy:
I have been at work for most of the past 3 days and have had little time to stay on TSB but I just noticed your post and wanted to put in my 1/2-cent worth:

I agree that other options for webhosting should be considered but I believe the problem with responding to your thread is that until it is once again bumped back into view, no one actually sees it because it is tucked away withing the Major Topic of "Introduce yourself." You obviously no longer need to be introduced!! My suggestion for improved visibility of your posts is (with your permission and that of Admin, of course!) would be to ask one of the Admins to take your thread out of the Introduction Topic and place it in a thread all of your own. The question then would where to put it in the already started Topics; maybe "Breed Specific, Pet Squirrels, etc" or maybe with how popular your posts about your Squirrel Adventures have been with many members on TSB; maybe creation of a new Major Topic would be a possibly and then your thread could reside within your own Major Topic such as "McCarthy's Squirrels" or whatever)!

I have some specific comments about MBD and the diet of your newly adopted Squirrel but I will need to post them when I have more time.
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel

I had several people contact me, telling me that they can't reply to my thread because they can't get onto the forum at all. My concern is less about my thread, but many people being banned by the hoster for no good reason. That's only the ice tip of folks that know how to get in contact with me. Most members will just think that the forum is gone for good.

Mel1959
01-24-2023, 04:26 PM
As I said earlier. The problem for me appears to be that the server is not seeing and allowing my IP address access. I can post fine if I remove my IPad from Wi-Fi and use my cell carrier…..who for me is also my internet provider. :dono:dono

Charley Chuckles
01-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Just got home and I'M BACKKKKKKKK:grin3

Bravo
01-24-2023, 04:53 PM
I've requested another update. Meantime IP's not connecting can be PM'd to me- I'll include them on the ticket.

TheNutGuy
01-24-2023, 10:05 PM
The Nut Lady and TheNutGuy are back on the air! Successfully browsing and posting from the home IP!

Chirps
01-24-2023, 11:50 PM
Test :hello

Edit: I have been able to post, but would get a 403 if I tried to use smilies. That seems to be okay now. Thanks, Bravo!

The Nut Lady
01-25-2023, 12:01 AM
I'll second that "Thanks" to Bravo!! So happy to be able to easily access the board on my computer instead of my phone (w/ cellular). And, Chirps - that was the perfect emoji for the post - that's been my sentiment for the past couple of days.

CritterMom
01-25-2023, 05:38 AM
Finally back! Yay! I felt awful not being able to answer your questions to me - wrote a PM and then when I clicked send, poof!

Mel1959
01-25-2023, 06:29 AM
Thank you Bravo. :hug

Charley Chuckles
01-25-2023, 07:53 AM
BRAVO TO BRAVO 👏👏👏😀

stepnstone
01-25-2023, 08:20 AM
Finally back! Yay! I felt awful not being able to answer your questions to me - wrote a PM and then when I clicked send, poof!
:danceBeen watching for you!
Knowing you've been the back bone for help this really bothered me you couldn't get on. :grouphug

Bravo
01-25-2023, 08:45 AM
Good to see everyone back. :grouphug I had little to do with the fix- beyond chasing our service provider- hopefully back to business as usual.

:sqrrl7 :foxer1 :dpt

Lighten-Up
01-29-2023, 10:03 AM
I just saw this thread...

Is this what happened to me about half a week ago? I typed up a post, clicked submit and poof, GONE. And then I couldn't even get onto TSB. I thought maybe it was a website host issue, I tried for hours, tried different computers and then I just let it be, and tried it again a day or so later, and all was fine, I could get on, and post. :dance

Chirps emoji in this thread was funny...