PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Mama to a 6 mo old rescue squirrel Walter

waltersmom
01-13-2023, 07:21 PM
Hello

Just introducing myself. I currently have a 6 month old red fox squirrel Walter. Prior to Walter we rescued a tiny baby in the street that I bottle fed and released when he was ready. He would come when we called him and lived in the many trees in our neighborhood. He sadly passed away at 1 year 4 mo old in my hands before we had a chance to take him to our vet. No injuries on him. My husband and I were and are still devastated. Then our Gardener found little Walter by Arthur's beautiful gravesite/garden we made for him. I like to believe it's one of Arthur's offspring. Walter was only a few ounces when he was found but is over 2 lbs at 6 months old. He has a large cage but is "free range" in the house. Loves the pups and wakes me up every morning with his little toe beans touching my face.

In addition to Walter, my husband and I have 3 small dogs, 1 cat, a Friesian horse and a Lusitano horse.

Our plan is to release Walter but it's cold here and he doesn't have a winter coat. He also is not interested in the squirrels that he sees outside the windows and is terrified when we have taken him or rolled his cage outside. This worries me.

Thank you for having me on your board.

E

Diggie's Friend
01-13-2023, 11:32 PM
Thank you for visiting the website! What a lovable huggable boy! Can you tell us about what kind diet you feed him daily?

Our foxer girl continued to gain weight from our feeding nuts in addition to rodent block. And though she had had lost some weight by age nine; she was still overweight. Our vet pointed out the excess fat deposits on in and around her liver that showed up on an x ray; saying that unlike in the wild, when they are cared for long-term in captivity, that they tend to develop the same ill health metabolic disorders as domestic pets do from overfeeding. This especially when it comes to feeding nuts in addition to rodent block, with a fruit and vegetable diet. .

For this reason, to support long-term health, it is vital to provide a diet with a higher in calcium content than phosphorus. Otherwise, overfeeding of nuts can lead to the development of "Metabolic Bone Disease" known to lend to a shortened lifespan.

For more info on MBD, check out the MBD thread located in the, "Specific Aliments" Forum. Also look over the "Healthy Diet" Sticky thread in the Nutrition Forum.

Chirps
01-14-2023, 12:23 PM
Hiya! What a beautiful boy! A lot can change over the coming months, and he may change his mind about wanting to explore and live outside. Or he may end up being one of those squirrels who decide that being a house squirrel is the life for him. Please keep us posted.

I noticed the plant he's perched on. I don't know what it is. Please don't take offense, but that is a squirrel-safe plant? Having horses you are probably mindful of avoiding anything toxic around your animals, but just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers!

waltersmom
01-14-2023, 06:06 PM
Hello!

He only gets Henry's blocks, 3 different types, fresh fruit and veggies. Not a lot of nuts. I spoke to Dave on the phone ( I believe he runs this forum) about feedings and he said avoid nuts and seeds.He gets calcium sprinkled in a blueberry every other day. I have read so much about squirrel care since Arthur. He's still smaller than the squirrels outside. They are HUGE.
Thank you so much for the reply.

Thank you for visiting the website! What a lovable huggable boy! Can you tell us about what kind diet you feed him daily?

Our foxer girl continued to gain weight from our feeding nuts in addition to rodent block. And though she had had lost some weight by age nine; she was still overweight. Our vet pointed out the excess fat deposits on in and around her liver that showed up on an x ray; saying that unlike in the wild, when they are cared for long-term in captivity, that they tend to develop the same ill health metabolic disorders as domestic pets do from overfeeding. This especially when it comes to feeding nuts in addition to rodent block, with a fruit and vegetable diet. .

For this reason, to support long-term health, it is vital to provide a diet with a higher in calcium content than phosphorus. Otherwise, overfeeding of nuts can lead to the development of "Metabolic Bone Disease" known to lend to a shortened lifespan.

For more info on MBD, check out the MBD thread located in the, "Specific Aliments" Forum. Also look over the "Healthy Diet" Sticky thread in the Nutrition Forum.

waltersmom
01-14-2023, 06:14 PM
Hello!

Oh, the plant is fake because he dug up the real one LOL! Our previous rescue had a "portal" that was cut into one of our window panes. He would come and go as he pleased. We sure miss him. Since Walter was born in a different season, he doesn't have that wooly coat so he has to wait to be released if he wants to be that is. We are having an area built out for him outside as a transitional area with access to the house. Hopefully he will get comfortable and not get petrified like the other times we've taken him outside.

E

waltersmom
01-14-2023, 06:37 PM
OH! The tree he's on, I thought the plastic plant on the table ! That's a branch from a 100 year old Olive tree in our yard all of the squirrels have their Dreys in. We cut branches from a fig tree in our yard for him daily. I see the squirrels munching on it and eating the flowers every year. I try to Google everything.

Thank you!

E

Hiya! What a beautiful boy! A lot can change over the coming months, and he may change his mind about wanting to explore and live outside. Or he may end up being one of those squirrels who decide that being a house squirrel is the life for him. Please keep us posted.

I noticed the plant he's perched on. I don't know what it is. Please don't take offense, but that is a squirrel-safe plant? Having horses you are probably mindful of avoiding anything toxic around your animals, but just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers!

Mel1959
01-16-2023, 07:20 AM
It sounds like you have a very good plan to acclimate Walter to life outside. Time will tell what he really wants. In the meantime his diet sounds great. Here’s the link for a healthy diet in case you haven’t seen it. Please keep us updated as to what Walter decides. :grin2

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels