PDA

View Full Version : Boo Ball Recipe for Wilds

The Nut Lady
12-18-2022, 02:01 PM
Hi all. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Boo Ball recipe for wild greys? It's getting pretty cold here, and I'm trying to help support a few juveniles through their first winter (their mom, too). They already each get 2 HHB and will eat a half grape, sm coconut piece, and a blueberry (no veggies despite trying). I also give them nuts (shelled and not shelled). Since they shouldn't have more than 2 HHBs and I don't want them to eat too many nuts, I was looking for something that I can provide them that would give extra nutrition (w/ some veggies maybe)? Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Mel1959
12-18-2022, 04:07 PM
I feed my wilds boo balls made with ground Harlan Teklad rodent block. I buy the 2018 or 2014 Envigo Harlan Teklad rodent block online from the cheapest source. The difference between the two formulations is the 2018 has 18% protein and 2014 has 14% protein. I grind the block with my ninja blender cup and dump it in a large bowl. I make a lot so I fill the cup at least 4-5 times. Then I take an assortment of nuts (almonds, pecans and walnuts) and grind several cups of them…usually about half the number of cups of rodent block. Dump those into the bowl. I then add about 1/2-3/4 cup of Fox Valley powdered 20/50 formula and the same amount of Fox Valley Ultraboost. Once this is mixed thoroughly I take out 1/2 of the amount and put it in a plastic container and store in the fridge till I need it. To what’s left in the bowl I add unsweetened applesauce, veggie and fruit baby food and a little melted coconut oil or avocado oil. You want the mixture to hold together but not be gooey. Then I roll it into about 1/2 inch balls and store them in the fridge in a container. By dividing the batch of dry ingredients it keeps it fresh until I need it.

There’s also recipe in the Quirrel Nutrition section on this forum.

The Nut Lady
12-20-2022, 10:04 PM
Thank you so much for the recipe, Mel1959! Just one question about the formula and ultraboost - if my wilds are already getting 2 HHBs/day, would the formula in these boo balls provide too many vitamins? I don't want to overwhelm their bodies w/ too many vitamin/mineral supplements. Thanks again.

Mel1959
12-22-2022, 08:45 AM
I’m not sure about over fortifying their diet. The Harlan rodent block I use for my boo balls provides complete nutrition but I still add the FV and Ultraboost. Because I have so many wilds that I feed I know that each one isn’t getting a lot of boo balls….they may only get one or two. That’s part of the reason for providing lots of nutrients in each one.