PDA

View Full Version : Weaning/Release?

slackwater0514
09-08-2022, 07:16 AM
According to my aging estimates when I found my guy in early August, he's about 8 weeks now. Active (very!!!), bright, almost like a "real" squirrel. :)

Everything I've read says they will need formula until 12+ weeks, and that babies that reach 4mos in the fall (so, for us, he would be 4mos in Nov, in Maryland) should not be released until the following spring.

However, getting him to stay still long enough for formula is next to impossible. We're lucky if we can get him to take 15ml 2x/day. He is eating well so far - he tears apart his Henry's squirrel blocks, is learning to like crunchy vegetables and some nuts. We bring in (safe) tree branches for him to nibble and climb. We have not introduced anything "sweet" to avoid a junk food addicted squirrel :)

So, my questions - is it too soon to give up on formula? If it is, how much and how often should I be trying to get him to take some? Should I panic if he'd rather "squirrel" around? It's like having a hyperactive toddler and being worried about him not getting enough nutrition.

Also, should I be planning to keep him overwinter? My daughter (16) is raising him - there is no way I want to risk anything going wrong with his release.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - thank you!

Mel1959
09-08-2022, 10:54 AM
Yes, I’d wait until spring to release. Older squirrels do much better, anyway. In November there won’t be leaves on the trees for protection, he won’t have a cache of nuts when food is scarce and he won’t have anyone to snuggle with and no nest.

As for the formula, it’s too soon for him to wean. Twice a day formula consumption is acceptable at this age. When he’s so active that he will not take any formula from a syringe you can provide it in a bowl. I’d continue to give it to him by syringe for as long as is feasible since you will be able to monitor how much he’s taking.

Some squirrels like vanilla full fat yogurt and will lap it from a bowl. This is an excellent source of calcium…although a little messy.

Tashahaven
09-08-2022, 03:40 PM
I hope I’m not hijacking your thread… but I have a baby who will need to be overwintered inside. I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions/feedback on building a proper enclosure to do so. I want to do it while the weather here is still tolerable, and want to make sure it is big enough for the whole winter.