PDA

View Full Version : When to abort a reunification attempt?

Snicker Bar
08-20-2022, 07:40 AM
I have a finder who has contacted me. She has tried for 12 hours to reunify Mama and 4 babies. She found them on the ground.
Mama calls, babies were calling , but she won’t take them.

She contacted me last night, after dark. I advised for her to get them in, safe from predators and gave her basic care instructions, the rehydration formula etc. And advised to try again this am.

She has just updated me; she did not rehydrate them. She has put them back out in a basket near the Mama. She comes near, but won’t take them. They are no longer calling ; getting weak I’m sure.

Should I just go ahead and take them?? Or rehydrate them and leave them out ? I guess (she didn’t tell me ) she didn’t have syringes to properly care for them for one night :(

Charley Chuckles
08-20-2022, 07:49 AM
I had to intercept with the three I have, I did take them in all night fed them had them out before dawn no mama. I finally decided to keep them. A week later mama shows up, she's friendly and I held up one of her babies she sniffed and wanted a nut and seemed perfectly happy I was new mommy 🤦
I don't know why they don't take them back when the babies are perfectly normal, maybe is it possible the mom doesn't have enough milk🤷

IMHO I'd just give up on mom and raise them👍🙏

Snicker Bar
08-20-2022, 07:58 AM
She just told me she has them in a basket mounted to the tree. The mama will come down , but won’t take them. She said the nest looks fine ? But all four were on the ground . One died during the night.

I’ve never done a reunification and I’m just not sure what to advise her. It sounds like she’s tried;

I just don’t know when to tell her just let us come take them. Minimally I will offer to hydrate them for her.

But should they be left any longer? It’s been over 12 hours she is telling me.

Charley Chuckles
08-20-2022, 08:32 AM
They need hydration.
I personally have never been able to reunite baby squirrels I'm sure others have but at this point it's time to save the babies if mommy isn't able to for whatever reason.

island rehabber
08-20-2022, 08:46 AM
Honestly you need to take them in and save those that are still viable. I'm a fairly smart person and have been doing this for many years but can count on the fingers of one hand my successful reunitings. I don't know how other rehabbers seem to do it nearly every time but I certainly can't. Save the babies.

Snicker Bar
08-20-2022, 09:19 AM

Here’s a pic she just sent me, a little blurry,

Basket on left, mom on right, opposite of basket.

Charley Chuckles
08-20-2022, 10:27 AM
I don't know.
Has she gone into house for awhile to give Mom a chance to gather them? She may be nervous.

Snicker Bar
08-20-2022, 10:52 AM
I assume so?

I do know they were going to be gone about an hour and half, and then she is supposed to call me and give directions for me to check /pick them up. Going to have drizzle rain all day here.

I wonder why ? She’s so close to them in that picture :(

Charley Chuckles
08-20-2022, 01:21 PM
Just what you need 🤦
I don't understand it either.

Snicker Bar
08-20-2022, 11:02 PM

After nearly 24 hrs the finder called and said it was just not going to happen.

Tuffs Mom came and we got the babies. One was seizing. They are as stable as can hope for at the moment.