PDA

View Full Version : Essential oil

Chrissylane
08-19-2022, 08:06 PM
Last night my cissy girl nock over oil disfusier and I think ingested some she is not doing good at all the oil is bird of paradise someone please help I can’t take it if I loose her help me please

SamtheSquirrel2018
08-20-2022, 07:25 AM
Last night my cissy girl nock over oil disfusier and I think ingested some she is not doing good at all the oil is bird of paradise someone please help I can’t take it if I loose her help me please

Hi Chrissylane.
First of all, I do not have any direct experience with a Squirrel having ingested Essential Oils but I do have some suggestions for you. Also, when you say your Squirrel "is not doing good at all" it certainly doesn't sound good to someone reading your post but it doesn't really describe what you are observing that led to you assessment of her status. Please describe in detail what is different and worrisome about how she appears or behaves. This is often critical information for further assessment and/or treatment.

Essential Oils in diffusers contain a significant amount of what are called hydrocarbons. One of the major risks of ingesting (swallowing) hydrocarbons is aspiration (getting the oil into the lungs) and if t all possible, this must be voided because aspiration of hydrocarbons can lead to aspiration pneumonitis which is a serious lung inflammation. It can also potentially cause development of aspiration pneumonia which is a lung infection. Both of these conditions are potentially very serious. It is very important, assuming that there was ingestion of the Essential Oils that nothing is done to put your Squirrel at risk for regurgitation of stomach contents (Squirrels don't usually actively vomit but stomach contents can still go back up into the throat and be sucked into the lungs). Things to avoid would be any attempt to force feed (or force drink) your Squirrel or indulge in any rough handling. Also, if there is a chance that your Squirrel ingested the hydrocarbon containing Essential oil, do NOT try to get her to take Activated Charcoal. While this is commonly recommended for certain poisonings, it is NOT recommended for treating ingestion of hydrocarbons as Activated Charcoal does NOT bind hydrocarbons and it's use in such a case can potentially lead to aspiration.

Also, I would suggest that you call the ASPCA Pet Poison Control Line at (888) 426-4435. I would suggest that tell them that you have a pet rat instead of a Squirrel as they may have have definitive information for you regarding Rats but it is doubtful that there is any information on this topic with Squirrels and also keep in mind that Squirrels are considered wildlife in most regions of the Country and often, medical personnel may simply not deal with wildlife or even feel inclined to confiscate your Squirrel if brought in. Another suggestion would be for you to obtain an accurate weight on your Squirrel in case any medication may be required as this is vital before any specific dosing can be recommended. Do you have any antibiotics available? Even one or two tablets will be enough if they become needed.

Regards,
SamtheSquirrel