PDA

View Full Version : 2 week old baby is having very bad diarrhea

misserman
08-16-2022, 11:52 AM
Hi I have a 2 week old baby who started having loose stools last night, now it is liquid. He is still energetic and has an appetite. Is there someone who can call me to help advise?? I have reached out to a someone close to me but have not heard back and am sitting here anxiously trying to figure out the best thing to do. Thanks.

Spanky
08-16-2022, 01:43 PM
Hi I have a 2 week old baby who started having loose stools last night, now it is liquid. He is still energetic and has an appetite. Is there someone who can call me to help advise?? I have reached out to a someone close to me but have not heard back and am sitting here anxiously trying to figure out the best thing to do. Thanks.

Diarrhea is usually a result of over feeding or feeding an inappropriate formula. He should be getting Esbilac puppy formula (the powdered version, the liquid is not the same and will cause diarrhea) or Fox Valley 20/50 (depending on his age). There could be other issues like reheating previously heated formula, not keeping the open powdered formula in the freezer (or fridge minimally), etc.

I am also attaching a feeding chart cheat sheet for determining the appropriate amounts (5% - 7% of body weight per feeding).

If you post the city / area of Texas, there may be members on TSB that can assist.