PDA

View Full Version : How aggressive do I need to be about removing maggot eggs?

Rocky1
08-07-2022, 11:33 PM
I found an injured squirrel that cannot currently move it's back legs. Lots of maggot eggs around tail area. I was able to remove almost all of the eggs from the belly/but area, tail, and one side of the hips. However, the squirrel got tired of being washed and bit me. Thus, I did not manage to remove maggot eggs from his other side.

How important is it that that gets taken care of asap? Can it wait 24 hours? A wildlife rehabilitator is going to take over for me tomorrow, possibly tomorrow evening. Thanks.

Chirps
08-08-2022, 12:41 AM
Hi. Even a few will hatch within hours of being laid and start to eat him alive. The more there are, the more of him will be chewed on. I don't know if you have anything like Kitten Revolution? or Capstar? Gah! Step or Spanky or TubeDriver needs to see this thread, or maybe you can find a sticky about what to use on maggots? It's here somewhere, in multiple locations . . .

Rocky1
08-08-2022, 12:49 AM
Hi. Even a few will hatch within hours of being laid and start to eat him alive. The more there are, the more of him will be chewed on. I don't know if you have anything like Kitten Revolution? or Capstar? Gah! Step or Spanky or TubeDriver needs to see this thread, or maybe you can find a sticky about what to use on maggots? It's here somewhere, in multiple locations . . .

I have dish detergent, blue dawn. I ordered Capstar from Instacart. It will arrive between 10am and noon EST. Hopefully, that will not be too late. I can use all the advice I can get.

Since this is a wild squirrel, I am considering shaving part of the fur with my clippers rather than trying to comb them out. Bad idea?

Also, there seems to be a spine injury and he panics. I fear that the injury could worsen.

Chirps
08-08-2022, 12:57 AM
Okay, I just saw a thread about maggots in an ear and Redwuff said to use Capstar. 1/4 of a pill crushed and mixed in some water to dose. BUT I don't know what versions there are. Let me see if the thread is more specific, or hopefully someone who knows about it will see your thread and advise . . . .

This is an adult squirrel or juvenile?

Maybe you can have another go at removing by hand. Maybe use a Q-tip or something or just pick them by hand and don't try to wash him if that stresses him/ticks him off? :dono

Rocky1
08-08-2022, 12:58 AM
Okay, I just saw a thread about maggots in an ear and Redwuff said to use Capstar. 1/4 of a pill crushed and mixed in some water to dose. BUT I don't know what versions there are. Let me see if the thread is more specific, or hopefully someone who knows about it will see your thread and advise . . . .

This is an adult squirrel or juvenile?

Maybe you can have another go at removing by hand. Maybe use a Q-tip or something or just pick them by hand and don't try to wash him if that stresses him/ticks him off? :dono

Juvenile.

Rocky1
08-08-2022, 01:04 AM
Here's a photo of part of the problem. There may be too many to use a q-tip unless there is a method I am unaware of. He is asleep now. I would feel bad about waking him and rest may help him recover. However, this maggot issue sounds very urgent so maybe I should just take him to the sink asap?322472

Chirps
08-08-2022, 01:08 AM
I have dish detergent, blue dawn. I ordered Capstar from Instacart. It will arrive between 10am and noon EST. Hopefully, that will not be too late. I can use all the advice I can get.

Since this is a wild squirrel, I am considering shaving part of the fur with my clippers rather than trying to comb them out. Bad idea?

Also, there seems to be a spine injury and he panics. I fear that the injury could worsen.

Trying to picture the squirrel and situation. Wouldn't the noise of the clippers freak him out? Is it possible to position him so he can't see what's happening and try to hand pick them? I'm thinking with spinal injury maybe he won't feel what you're doing and if he can't SEE you doing anything, well . . .Hopefully there aren't very many, but there always seem to be more than one expects. Or the damn flies laid just that one more clutch of eggs in that spot we seem to miss.

Maybe there won't be enough to do much damage before the Capstar gets there to knock them out. I wish someone who's had more recent experience with them would comment on it.

Chirps
08-08-2022, 01:15 AM
Here's a photo of part of the problem. There may be too many to use a q-tip unless there is a method I am unaware of. He is asleep now. I would feel bad about waking him and rest may help him recover. However, this maggot issue sounds very urgent so maybe I should just take him to the sink asap?322472

Oh yeah, that's a LOT. I see why you want to comb them out. Someone said running water scares them, so maybe fill a container or the sink first and lower him into it, so he doesn't hear the water running? And then holding him without supporting his dangling body can aggravate spinal problems. But I guess first things first is get rid of as many eggs/maggots as possible though. Can you see them moving at all yet?

Rocky1
08-08-2022, 01:16 AM
Oh yeah, that's a LOT. I see why you want to comb them out. Someone said running water scares them, so maybe fill a container or the sink first and lower him into it, so he doesn't hear the water running? And then holding him without supporting his dangling body can aggravate spinal problems. But I guess first things first is get rid of as many eggs/maggots as possible though. Can you see them moving at all yet?

Yes.

Chirps
08-08-2022, 01:28 AM
Yes.

Yikes, that's what I was afraid of. That many concentrated on his tail will eat a good bit of it. They will drill inside to get to the moist tissue and continue from there. Also there are probably some inside the opening of his anus. The flies will have tried to deposit the eggs in/on the wettest parts. If he soiled himself from his injury, that's probably why they are concentrated there. You definitely want to remove as many as possible now, and hope there aren't enough left to do too much damage before the Capstar gets there to kill the rest.

Rocky1
08-08-2022, 02:58 AM
Your idea of combing them out while squirrel is asleep is a great one. Much better then getting bit. Updated photo.

Rocky1
08-08-2022, 04:49 AM
I didn't want to wake him up so I put non-diluted blue Dawn on his right hip and combed maggots out. i did not bother to rinse, figuring that I could do that when he wakes up. Please let me know if you see anything wrong with that? Other than having the detergent on the skin for a while, I am also concerned about the possibility of maggots gathering underneath him.

Again, there is a back injury so I am very concerned about moving him around too much.

Chirps
08-08-2022, 05:17 AM
Wow, okay great that you could work on him while he slept. I think lesser of the evils is leaving the Dawn on for a while. Maybe it will smother some of the little bastards. Hopefully someone who knows better will see this thread and chime in. Were you able to get everything you could see off? Also, can you see under his tail enough to know if or how many might be around his anus?

Is he still asleep? Did he seem aware at all that you were doing anything to him? That's raising the flags about just how serious this injury is, but one thing at a time. I think someone is going to mention prednisone? at some point.

Rocky1
08-08-2022, 05:47 AM
Wow, okay great that you could work on him while he slept. I think lesser of the evils is leaving the Dawn on for a while. Maybe it will smother some of the little bastards. Hopefully someone who knows better will see this thread and chime in. Were you able to get everything you could see off? Also, can you see under his tail enough to know if or how many might be around his anus?

Is he still asleep? Did he seem aware at all that you were doing anything to him? That's raising the flags about just how serious this injury is, but one thing at a time. I think someone is going to mention prednisone? at some point.

I am unsure how many were around his anus. I did wash the area before he went to bed, but who knows how many migrated down there, if any. Because of the back injury, I did not want to move his tail especially right next to the body.

He is not yet awake 6:47am here. Yes, I accidentally woke him up a few times.

Chirps
08-08-2022, 06:02 AM
I am unsure how many were around his anus. I did wash the area before he went to bed, but who knows how many migrated down there, if any. Because of the back injury, I did not want to move his tail especially right next to the body.
The reason I may seem obsessed with his anus is that if they get in there, they're literally inside his digestive tract and the potential damage to internal tissues/organs increases the longer they have the chance to munch. Is there a way to gently turn him onto his side to see what may have made it to his belly/abdomen/groin areas? Getting rid of the maggots may trump possible injury by moving the tail. Hopefully even if it is very serious, he can still recover well. Lots of stories of miracle cures of back injuries/paralysis on the boards. I wish someone who really knows would chime in, but I do see maggot removal as a priority.

He is not yet awake 6:47am here. Yes, I accidentally woke him up a few times.

That's good. I think. I was a bit concerned that he was unconscious rather than just asleep, so some stirring is kind of reassuring, you know?

Rocky1
08-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Update: Squirrel survived her stay with me and is now in the care of a wildlife rehabilitator. Thanks for your help!