PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Lethargic with scabs on eyes

Tink's Mom
07-16-2022, 03:14 PM
Our 2 year old girl didn't get up this a.m. as usual so after several hours I woke her up only to find her with red eyes that have scabs over the top. I tried to clean off with saline, but she is clearly painful when I tried to touch her. I tried to look in her mouth and the little I could see looked ok. I did get her to urinate and poop and eat a little watermelon and sweet potato before she climbed back in her hammock to sleep. The ONLY thing different with her diet was a plum/cherry hybrid fruit I gave her yesterday but I did remove the pit and she only ate was a small flesh piece of the fruit.

I live in a non-squirrel friendly state, so don't have an option to take her anyplace. Any help is appreciated, I don't know what to do for her. Thank you.

Spanky
07-16-2022, 03:43 PM
Her belly appears to be hairless or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

She looks to have bald patches maybe on her arms as well... if that is the case, is there any "baldy" spots on her back or neck? I am asking because on first glance this looks like she may have a big sensitivity to mites. Don't be alarmed, mites are very common and usually are not a problem to healthy animals. But sometimes they can get out of control, especially with immune compromised (sick) squirrels... and that sometimes leads to infestations. In other cases, some animal can be overly sensitive to mites and it can cause this type of irritations.

I would treat her with one drop of Revolution (selamectin - the plain stuff, not the newer ones with additional ingredients). You can order her but it take about a week or so to arrive in the states:
https://www.canadavetexpress.com/revolution-for-kittens-puppies-pink-pack-45.aspx

(https://www.canadavetexpress.com/revolution-for-kittens-puppies-pink-pack-45.aspx)I am not 100% this is mites, but the Revolution cannot hurt (just a single drop... not the entire ampule... on the back of her neck). You can wait to see if anyone else might agree with this assessment. If you have cats or dogs (or know anyone that does) you might be able to get some from your vet and / or friends.

And she may be feeling badly... do you have any antibiotics on hand? If so, please post the name(s) and strength(s) as well as your squirrels weight. Treating her eyes topically with terramycin ophthalmic ointment may help as well. But she does have sick eyes and she may need oral antibiotics to feel better sooner.

Tink's Mom
07-16-2022, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the info. She is bald on her belly less a small V patch, but she has always been that way. No hair loss on other parts of her body other than some seasonal molt. I will definitely give the Revolution a try, but since this new issue came of out nowhere, I believe the issue is something else/in addition.

The only antibiotics I have on hand are Doxycycline 100 mg and Baytril 22.7 mg. I also have Neomycin & Ploymyxin B Sulfates & Bacitracin Zin Ophthalmic ointment for eyes. I also have Meloxicam on hand if you think that would be any benefit.

At someone's suggestion, I offered her a black walnut to verify teeth were not an issue. She is eating it and doesn't seem bothered.

Do you think this could anyway be an allergic reaction to something? After some google searches they warned of cherries & plums, the exact hybrid fruit she ate yesterday. I did remove the pit and skin before giving it to her. Also, 1.5 day's ago she was given a black walnut while still on the green "husk". A family member found it and just gave her the whole thing. She may have eaten part of the green... not sure if that bad. I'm not sure if there is an antihistamine same for animals.

I just weighed her and she's measuring 1.52 lbs on my kitchen scale.

CritterMom
07-16-2022, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info. She is bald on her belly less a small V patch, but she has always been that way. No hair loss on other parts of her body other than some seasonal molt. I will definitely give the Revolution a try, but since this new issue came of out nowhere, I believe the issue is something else/in addition.

The only antibiotics I have on hand are Doxycycline 100 mg and Baytril 22.7 mg. I also have Neomycin & Ploymyxin B Sulfates & Bacitracin Zin Ophthalmic ointment for eyes. I also have Meloxicam on hand if you think that would be any benefit.

At someone's suggestion, I offered her a black walnut to verify teeth were not an issue. She is eating it and doesn't seem bothered.

Do you think this could anyway be an allergic reaction to something? After some google searches they warned of cherries & plums, the exact hybrid fruit she ate yesterday. I did remove the pit and skin before giving it to her. Also, 1.5 day's ago she was given a black walnut while still on the green "husk". A family member found it and just gave her the whole thing. She may have eaten part of the green... not sure if that bad. I'm not sure if there is an antihistamine same for animals.

I just weighed her and she's measuring 1.52 lbs on my kitchen scale.

Children's Benadryl liquid. I will PM the dosing to you.