PDA

View Full Version : Lethargy and fever

littlemonkey
06-06-2022, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Vickie. I'm not sure if this is life threatening or not. I have a little grey squirrel (Sweetpea) going on four months that beginning yesterday doesn't feel very good. I think she has a fever and last night she her right eye seemed like it was swollen or didn't want to open. I used warm water and a cotton ball on it. She can open it now but she is lethargic and seems very warm. Her diet is varied with nuts, rodent block, Henry's "Picky blocks" with veggies and berries etc...She doesn't seem to like veggies much so i keep trying different ones. She is no longer captive and sleeps on our patio and has run of the trees off our patio and in the back woods. I cared for her from about a week old so she is imprinted on me but my intention was to release her. I don't know where i can take her for vet care here is Oregon. Does anyone have experience in finding a vet for a squirrel?
She ate this morning and drank water but i haven't gotten her to drink since.

Thanks in advance

Spanky
06-06-2022, 08:52 PM
Do you happen to be nearby to Vancouver WA?

littlemonkey
06-12-2022, 12:22 PM
Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. I'm not used to forum boards and had trouble finding my way back. I am sad to say Sweetpea passed away June 7th and I have been devastated over it. I believe she had an injury I didn't know about but not sure. She had swelling that was kind of hard feeling from one of her back legs over to her genitals back to her tail. I called every local vet and no one would see her. The only one that would see her was out of town for month. I am still sick about it. I am a good hour or so from Vancouver. What is there? I am leery of rescuing anymore if it comes up again if I can't get the needed help if I need it. She was my first one and I did learn a lot, hind sight of course is 20/20 but I don't know if I can take another loss. I was already so terrified that something would get her or she would be hit by a car and then I lost her anyway in a way that I didn't anticipate. How do you all handle the losses?