PDA

View Full Version : Raw Peanuts

Snicker Bar
06-02-2022, 06:27 PM
My husband just gifted me with a burlap bag of raw peanuts in the shell. I think this is his subliminal way of trying to conform me to a simpler and less costly way to feed the wilds.

But, I’m not conforming until I check in here first. I saw some posts about the need to roast them first? But if they are wild, wouldn’t they know if a nut was bad/had a mycotoxin? What do others here do,

Seems like that’s what folks up north do and theirs seem just fine:)

CritterMom
06-02-2022, 06:41 PM
Nooooooo! Stop!

Boil them in brine and make boiled peanuts! I am so jealous! I LOVE boiled peanuts!

BTW, mycotoxins are not particularly bothered by heat. Cooking or baking doesn't kill it.

McCarthy
06-02-2022, 07:14 PM
I saw my beach park gang more than once rushing to a park visitor with food in hand, taking a peanut in shell, and dropping it right there with this "ewwwwww" facial expression.

Peanuts are not nuts to begin with, but basically beans.

My guys demand ice cream in mini cones, French fries, almonds, pecan halves. In that order. :tap :grin2

https://i.postimg.cc/zBHtbr1z/Image1.png

Tuff
06-02-2022, 10:25 PM
Nooooooo! Stop!

Boil them in brine and make boiled peanuts! I am so jealous! I LOVE boiled peanuts!

BTW, mycotoxins are not particularly bothered by heat. Cooking or baking doesn't kill it.

I absolutely agree!!! Love me some boiled peanuts!!

Snicker Bar
06-03-2022, 07:20 AM
I told Tuff’s Mom I don’t even know how to boil an egg, let alone do all those other things (brine?) I am kitchen illiterate and incompetent.
:(
If my husband couldn’t fend for himself he and our family would starve to death.

McCarthy where is this amazing place you take photos from? And give out delicious treat? I want to go to a squirrel refuge beach!

No…. Actually that would make the family mad.
They would never see me. I’d be hanging with the critters instead of my own kind. That’s my preference most of the time :)

So…
I better feed them to wildlife or google a U tube “boil and brine nuts” video :grin2

Charley Chuckles
06-03-2022, 07:26 AM
I make Cajun boiled peanuts 🥜😀
Easy I use my Ninja foodie and it does all the work👍

CritterMom
06-03-2022, 07:50 AM
I told Tuff’s Mom I don’t even know how to boil an egg, let alone do all those other things (brine?) I am kitchen illiterate and incompetent.
:(
If my husband couldn’t fend for himself he and our family would starve to death.

McCarthy where is this amazing place you take photos from? And give out delicious treat? I want to go to a squirrel refuge beach!

No…. Actually that would make the family mad.
They would never see me. I’d be hanging with the critters instead of my own kind. That’s my preference most of the time :)

So…
I better feed them to wildlife or google a U tube “boil and brine nuts” video :grin2

Brine in the case of boiling peanuts is pretty easy. Water + salt = brine! LOL.

I am pretty sure that the hours we do NOT see McCarthy here on the board he is carefully baking tiny ice cream cones and churning fresh ice cream which is stuffed into the cones and flash frozen for his run to the beach. And we all thought he had something "special" with the squirrels! Hell, I bet 80% of the people on this board would sit on his shoulder for a tiny ice cream cone!

Charley Chuckles
06-03-2022, 08:02 AM
Brine in the case of boiling peanuts is pretty easy. Water + salt = brine! LOL.

I am pretty sure that the hours we do NOT see McCarthy here on the board he is carefully baking tiny ice cream cones and churning fresh ice cream which is stuffed into the cones and flash frozen for his run to the beach. And we all thought he had something "special" with the squirrels! Hell, I bet 80% of the people on this board would sit on his shoulder for a tiny ice cream cone!

🍦 🍦🍦🍦🤣

sundoesshine
06-03-2022, 09:19 AM
I am pretty sure that the hours we do NOT see McCarthy here on the board he is carefully baking tiny ice cream cones...

:rotfl

McCarthy
06-03-2022, 12:52 PM
:grin2

Ya'll not up to date.

People making small ice cream cones for squirrels for ages!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP3OvIjAFBY

McCarthy
06-03-2022, 12:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXCOHpdC5qQ

McCarthy
06-03-2022, 03:19 PM
They make small ice cream containers for squirrels as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNODuFwAXEQ

Charley Chuckles
06-03-2022, 04:50 PM

Ya'll not up to date.

Now don't burst our bubble, we have visions of your ice cream cone mini factory 🏭🤣

McCarthy
06-03-2022, 05:53 PM
Now don't burst our bubble, we have visions of your ice cream cone mini factory ����

Damn. Now I'm intrigued to make healthy mini cones from almond flour and some form of fruit sorbet to replace the ice cream. They probably will love it with avocado filling.

Charley Chuckles
06-03-2022, 08:05 PM
Damn. Now I'm intrigued to make healthy mini cones from almond flour and some form of fruit sorbet to replace the ice cream. They probably will love it with avocado filling.

I knew you would 😄

Tuff
06-03-2022, 08:26 PM

Ya'll not up to date.

I’m growing a fluffy tail and moving my arse to where your living. Free ice cream!!! Shoot I’m already packing..

Snicker Bar
06-04-2022, 08:04 AM
So just verifying ,

Beach squirrels prefer ice cream, French fries and what was the other ?

But for our basic MS releases, would these peanuts be ok? Or if they don’t really even like them , I will definitely save them and use for human friends :)

I’m still feeding our newly released “Quad” the premium buffet ,

But I have 7 previous releases and other spoiled locals that come every am to the feeding places. If I feed boo balls to everyone here we will be bankrupted :(

Peanut Butter Sandwiches on wheat??

CritterMom
06-04-2022, 08:46 AM
You are rural-ish... Check your local feed stores for whoever is carrying Purina feeds. Purina owns Mazuri Exotic Feeds which make, among other interesting things - they sell to all of the zoos so you can get moose chow and stuff like that - Mazuri Rodent Breeder 6F in 50 pound bags. I pay about $27 per bag, though I imagine there will be an increase to that due to fuel costs. A little vegetable oil, a blob of peanut butter, and a microwave and you have the peanut butter squirrel blocks that dozens of generations of squirrels around me have lived very happily on! I only feed this plus occasional nuts I may have in my hand when I am out there, but it is their staple diet in The Cafe. If they can order it from their Purina distributor, (oddly, they get mine from their Blue Seal distributior :dono) you won't be paying exorbitant delivery costs.

Diggie's Friend
06-04-2022, 09:30 AM
Peanuts, like cashews, are not a true nut, but a legume. For this reason, if fed, they should not be fed raw, but roasted without salt. Compared to pecans and hickory nuts, the two top sources next to acorns that the Eastern Gray in your region consumes, peanuts have a poor nutrient profile.

With peanuts, save they are fumigated with (carcinogenic) anti fungal, commonly have been found to have the highest incidence of aspergillus fungus contamination (mycotoxins / aflatoxins), making them a high risk source to feed to squirrels a a supplement to their wild diet. This most specially when stored in damp climates where this fungus is known to thrive.

This study aimed to provide information on aflatoxin exposure nationally.... The average concentration of aflatoxin in the grain samples.... corn.(88%) and peanut (92%).

Diggie's Friend
06-04-2022, 10:08 AM
Though roasting reduces the fungus in peanuts; it doesn't eliminate it.

FDA on aspergillus fungus in peanuts:

“FDA specifically mentions peanuts, as well as tree nuts, corn, and small grains, as foods susceptible to aflatoxin contamination,” said Joe Frasca, Senior Vice President, Marketing at EMSL Analytical, Inc. “The growth of fungi that can produce aflatoxins on food products is influenced by a number of environmental factors. These may include temperature, humidity, and the extent of rainfall during the pre-harvesting, harvesting, or post-harvesting periods. The FDA may consider peanuts and peanut products containing total aflatoxins greater than 20 micrograms per kilogram (mcg/kg) or parts per billion (ppb), except raw peanuts that will be further processed to remove moldy and otherwise defective nuts, to be adulterated.”

McCarthy
06-04-2022, 04:56 PM
I never feed my gang peanuts and I tell other folks in the park, feeding them with peanuts, to bring real nuts and dried fruits instead, due to the fungus issue.

That being said, most of the food they consume is stolen right from the park tables, from food containers and beach bags. They all learned how to open lids, chips bags, fast food plastic boxes, you name it. When they see or smell fries in any container, they will go nuts, and they will bite folks if they try to get a hold of their container. Most just give up at that point and start taking photos with the squirrel raiding the container.

And they are all Doritos addicted.

https://i.postimg.cc/kXfs3BY2/20220225-180327.jpg

Chirps
06-05-2022, 12:40 AM
Oh yeah baby, the blue bag Doritos are the best!

Diggie's Friend
06-05-2022, 05:25 PM
Seeing all that junk food; I'm glad they are getting some of the good stuff! :great