PDA

View Full Version : Hatch door on release cage questions

Daisy21
05-27-2022, 02:32 PM
I apologize bc I don't really know if this is the right place to post... Hopefully my post is visible.

Last September we brought in a baby squirrel after not being able to reunite.. I had concerns overwintering her. I was also 6months pregnant at the time! Anyone who read my post will be happy to hear Daisy the squirrel is doing great! Thanks to all the experts, posts I read on this page, and advice I was given, we survived winter.. not only did we survive but I even kept my sanity thru caring for a squirrel AND a NEWBORN! Along w our 2 dogs and 3 indoor cats.. phew! (Daisy never had contact with the other animals).

So to my question.. Daisy was in her release cage outside for 4 weeks. I opened the little hatch door one week ago on 5/20. She stuck close by for the first 3 days before venturing out into the woods on the 4th day. I was beyond happy!! Every night she has come back to the cage to sleep in her squirrel box. So I close her hatch at dark and open it again in the morning.

QUESTION: When can leave the hatch door open for her to come and go as she pleases.. it is 4in x 4in opening and she has a squirrel box she sleeps in. I purchased it from Exotic Nutrition so I assume its predator proof?? Pics of her cage below.

Thanks in advance :)

Spanky
05-27-2022, 03:38 PM
If you could decrease the portal (or make a new one) that is only 3" wide by 3" tall you can leave it open all the time. I know it sounds like nit-picking but the 1" make a huge difference in the size of the opening... just like a 42" TV seems huge compared to a 32" TV (similar ratios).

As for predator guards, personally I am a believer in the external guards. In the picture the box looks to have a "guard" around the opening to prevent something form chewing the opening and making it larger, those are good but not what I am referring. The boxes with the "porches" and a piece of wood a few inches opposite the entrance so that predators cannot reach inside. I have found the "internal" guards do not work (unless you cover them with hardware cloth) because the squirrels will chew through the internal guard to increase their living space.. and babies may simply chew on it to chew on it. Here is a picture of a box with an external predator guard:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/208348658/wildlife-rehab-approved-gray-squirrel?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-home_and_living-outdoor_and_garden-other&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAjw7cGUBhA9EiwArBAvonX9FyanHdk eEgdwNxhTXgntMdxdXpyDX7_qFv3UJ8QF94Ij1rcTsBoCLXYQA vD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12570712527_123240192847_5073949468 57_pla-302633558787_c__208348658_512477259&utm_custom2=12570712527&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cGUBhA9EiwArBAvonX9FyanHdkeEgdwNxhT XgntMdxdXpyDX7_qFv3UJ8QF94Ij1rcTsBoCLXYQAvD_BwE

And as long as I am on the subject, I will add that I prefer boxes with the "double entries" which will allow a squirrel to escape out one entrance if the other is being breached / investigated by a predator. Some of my older boxes do not have double entries, but any new ones I put out will... all the ones that had internal predator guards have been "remodeled" by current or past occupants (and all the tree trucks with nest boxes are wrapped with aluminum flashing).

McCarthy
05-27-2022, 09:42 PM
That's a sweet Squirrel McMansion! She may never fully leave :grin2

Since somebody is very good with cage building, I too suggest building a better and bigger nest box, with 3 entries / exits and a tunnel system that prevents raccoons from getting inside. This nest box can be used in the tree later one.

Below a video of a normal nest box. While the mom was able to dart out this time, these simple nest boxes are a huge trap. The disgusting raccoon got the 3rd baby as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLIxhwkkAjY

Daisy21
05-28-2022, 12:48 PM
If you could decrease the portal (or make a new one) that is only 3" wide by 3" tall you can leave it open all the time. I know it sounds like nit-picking but the 1" make a huge difference in the size of the opening... just like a 42" TV seems huge compared to a 32" TV (similar ratios).

As for predator guards, personally I am a believer in the external guards. In the picture the box looks to have a "guard" around the opening to prevent something form chewing the opening and making it larger, those are good but not what I am referring. The boxes with the "porches" and a piece of wood a few inches opposite the entrance so that predators cannot reach inside. I have found the "internal" guards do not work (unless you cover them with hardware cloth) because the squirrels will chew through the internal guard to increase their living space.. and babies may simply chew on it to chew on it. Here is a picture of a box with an external predator guard:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/208348658/wildlife-rehab-approved-gray-squirrel?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-home_and_living-outdoor_and_garden-other&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAjw7cGUBhA9EiwArBAvonX9FyanHdk eEgdwNxhTXgntMdxdXpyDX7_qFv3UJ8QF94Ij1rcTsBoCLXYQA vD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12570712527_123240192847_5073949468 57_pla-302633558787_c__208348658_512477259&utm_custom2=12570712527&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cGUBhA9EiwArBAvonX9FyanHdkeEgdwNxhT XgntMdxdXpyDX7_qFv3UJ8QF94Ij1rcTsBoCLXYQAvD_BwE

And as long as I am on the subject, I will add that I prefer boxes with the "double entries" which will allow a squirrel to escape out one entrance if the other is being breached / investigated by a predator. Some of my older boxes do not have double entries, but any new ones I put out will... all the ones that had internal predator guards have been "remodeled" by current or past occupants (and all the tree trucks with nest boxes are wrapped with aluminum flashing).

Ok. thank you so much for your response! That should be an easy enough fix! I'll make those changes today.
I agree one with double entries and a predator guard would be best... but if the opening is 3x3 will the nest box she currently uses be fine to use (inside her cage) when I leave the portal open? I don't have the means to build a new one.. my husband built the cage and is away on assignment currently. :(

Spanky
05-28-2022, 04:50 PM
She'll be protected inside the cage and inside the box in the cage if the portal is decreased to 3 inches. :thumbsup

Your husband may be able to easily enough add a porch and external predator guard to that box when he returns if you wish to put that one out into the trees (outside the cage) eventually.

Daisy21
05-28-2022, 10:07 PM
She'll be protected inside the cage and inside the box in the cage if the portal is decreased to 3 inches. :thumbsup

Your husband may be able to easily enough add a porch and external predator guard to that box when he returns if you wish to put that one out into the trees (outside the cage) eventually.

Thats great! Thank you!

So Daisy didn't come home tonight like she normally does. I am sure she is fine and I'm happy she is feeling brave enough to spend the night out! (tear, sniff :sadness).. She may even have a nest already, is that a possibility? I wonder if she'll come for a visit tomorrow!

Thanks again for all your help!:grin2

Daisy21
05-28-2022, 10:18 PM
That's a sweet Squirrel McMansion! She may never fully leave :grin2

Since somebody is very good with cage building, I too suggest building a better and bigger nest box, with 3 entries / exits and a tunnel system that prevents raccoons from getting inside. This nest box can be used in the tree later one.

Below a video of a normal nest box. While the mom was able to dart out this time, these simple nest boxes are a huge trap. The disgusting raccoon got the 3rd baby as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLIxhwkkAjY

Thank you! Yes hubs did a great job building it! She was quite happy with her living quarters I believe :) Although, like I said in my response to Spanky, she stayed out tonight.. bittersweet... hopefully she'll come for a visit tomorrow so I know she ok!

I think I'll have some changes made to the nest box.. upgraded protection for when we get it in a tree.

Ah, I can't watch the video.. too sad. I'll take your word for it :sniff