PDA

View Full Version : MBD HELP (spoke with duck man)

Mr9fingerz
04-01-2022, 02:57 AM
Help, thinking my squirrel had mbd or is dying....went from being normal to 3 hours later not being able to jump 6 inches to make it up to the cage door to get back in, its been about 12 hours since this has been going on... now he's just burrowed in his nest thing and is barely moving, even when I touch him when I've been checking on him to see if he's still alive (then again it is 3 am) is that normal with mbd

CritterMom
04-01-2022, 04:21 AM
If it is MBD you need to get calcium into him ASAP. Do you by any chance have any regular old Tums - the antacid pills, the chewable ones? If so, they are a good emergency source of calcium.

Mr9fingerz
04-01-2022, 05:55 AM
I crushed up a Rolaid last night before I went to bed mixed it with water and he drank a few small serynge fulls (little bigger than150ish ml) he drank like 4 full ones but that's all I got him to drink... if I take him out the cage he doesn't seem that bad when I'm holding him (doesn't run around like usual and tries to get back in cage when taken out and set in front on it) but when he's laying there sleeping or when tenet he's doing he seems like he's half dead and don't want to move

CritterMom
04-01-2022, 06:06 AM
Not Rolaids. TUMS. Rolaids have ingredients that he does not need right now. Go to the drug store or grocery and get some of the fruit flavored regular tablet style Tums or the store brand equivalent. They make all sorts of chewy ones now - don't get those. You want to give multiple small amounts of the Tums through the day.

Once you get some into him come back and tell us how much elemental calcium is in a serving and what the serving size is of the ones you got. This info is on the back of the bottle. Also, please do not try using human calcium supplements with vitamin D as a substitute. There is too much D in them.

Mel1959
04-01-2022, 06:07 AM
You need to follow the MBD protocol and get calcium into him throughout the day. Here’s the link. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?32122-MBD-Treatment

If this is MBD it didn’t happen overnight and will take some time to correct. You might provide a heating pad under his bed if possible as the condition is painful.