PDA

View Full Version : Baytril 10%

Mdsh110
03-26-2022, 05:15 PM
Hello all,

Took in a couple female gray squirrels (Laverne and Shirley) four weeks ago tomorrow. Overall seem to be doing fine. I believe they are 5 weeks old about to be 6wks. Eyes opened on Tues. Witnessed nest fall from tree and break apart in my backyard. Was able to reunite 2 with mom, but she left these two. Moved inside after dark, babies were cold. Attempted to reunite for couple days with no luck. Closest rehabbers were hrs away so took it upon myself. With info from this board have gotten them this far. I am afraid of aspiration . Laverne goes crazy for formula. Anyways was curious if this would work if in her excited feeding she does aspirate..

Https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

In Q/A it does refer to squirrels.

Thanks.

Spanky
03-26-2022, 06:50 PM
Yes, this is the best medication for the treatment of AP in squirrels..

Mdsh110
03-26-2022, 07:02 PM
Excellent. I shall order a bottle to have on hand just in case. Just want to be prepared, if something should happen. Only wildlife vet near me is no longer seeing wildlife. Thanks for the reply.

CritterMom
03-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Before you order, if you or a friend has any leftover Cipro - a human antibiotic used for a number of issues; UTI, etc., it is essentially the same drug as Baytril. Animals can take Cipro, humans cannot take Baytril. If you have a leftover Cipro tab, we can tell you how to dilute and dose based on your squirrel's weight.

Mdsh110
03-26-2022, 08:14 PM
It's just a 25 ml bottle, and not to expensive. I don't have any AB in the house. So out of convenience figured I would just get this. As far as dosage, seemed pretty straight forward unless what it said on the info would be totally incorrect for use on a squirrel. Figured if I ended up needing to use it I would check in with you guys first. Would it be totally different?

stepnstone
03-26-2022, 10:30 PM
It's just a 25 ml bottle, and not to expensive. I don't have any AB in the house. So out of convenience figured I would just get this. As far as dosage, seemed pretty straight forward unless what it said on the info would be totally incorrect for use on a squirrel. Figured if I ended up needing to use it I would check in with you guys first. Would it be totally different?
Yes!
10% liquid Baytril is 100mg per ml. Squirrels are dosed @ 22.7mg/ml. It would need to be diluted to arrive at that mg for a squirrel then it can be dosed according to their body weight.
All medications/Ab's for a squirrel are dosed by the animal's body weight.

Mdsh110
03-26-2022, 10:46 PM
Ok thanks. Definitely will be coming to you guys if I end up needing to use it. Will not do it without some guidance. The whole reason I even picked them up off the ground was to give these kids a chance, wouldn't want to be the reason they died.