PDA

View Full Version : Rat food

Sommer
03-22-2022, 08:54 AM
Sadly, I lost my last rat, Ollie about a month ago due to old age. I'm going to take a little break from rats for a while. Their lifespan breaks my heart. I bought the Henry's healthy blocks to start 6 week old Hazel off with and she is starting to nibble on them. When she's eating more solid food is this something I can throw in the mix so I can finish the bag up? It's pretty high dollar stuff and I hate to throw it away if I can mix a little in with her food assortment when she's eating more solid food.

Mel1959
03-22-2022, 09:49 AM
Yes, you can use that for Hazel. I’d introduce it early before she’s too opinionated on what she’s willing to eat. :grin3

Sommer
03-22-2022, 10:02 AM
Oh gosh, I hope I don't have a picky squirrel lol well I guess I can throw a handful under the bird feeder everyday for the wild squirrels and hope they'll help me take care of it if she doesn't like it. Thanks!

Mel1959
03-22-2022, 11:40 AM
You can grind it up, add baby food and coconut oil to it with some ground nuts and make boo balls. I feed my wilds boo balls every day before they get nut treats. There’s boo ball recipes in the nutrition section.

Sommer
03-24-2022, 08:34 AM
What kind of baby food?

island rehabber
03-24-2022, 09:55 AM
We fed our Wistar rat, Theo:Love_Icon, the Oxbow rat food every day (he didn't care for Mazuri, for some reason). He was extremely healthy until he passed of "old age" at 3yrs.

Mel1959
03-24-2022, 10:42 AM
What kind of baby food?

Any flavor baby food you want. I like to use veggie/fruit combinations because I know they’re getting some veggies then. There’s one that contains, apple, avocado and kale that I use a lot. You can also use unsweetened applesauce. The ground nuts is what entices them to eat it. I add powdered Fox Valley 20/50 and FV Ultraboost for additional nutrition.

Sommer
03-26-2022, 12:24 PM
Yep that's what I'll have to do. She's not a big fan. I figured you'd have some baby food flavor suggestions!