PDA

View Full Version : 4 wk old baby grey squirrel wont eat.

Chemk
03-18-2022, 07:45 AM
I have a four week old baby gray squirrel and he does not like eating in the morning sometimes during the day he will not eat as well. I have been trying to feed esbilac and Pedialyte for hydration but he still seems week and not real interested in feeding.
Thanks Pete

CritterMom
03-18-2022, 08:31 AM
How long has he been in your care?

Are you keeping his container on a heating pad? Baby squirrels cannot control their body temperature and they need to be kept warm to be able to even digest food.

How did you "start" him when he first came to you? They should be first warmed up, then hydrated, and then and only then, started on formula.

Was he eating well at first and this not wanting to eat is a change? If he has aspirated formula - where they suck too much in and it blows out through their nose - he could have pneumonia, for which he would require antibiotics. Human antibiotics can be used if this is happening, and we can help you to properly do that if need be.

What are you feeding him with. The ONLY right answer to that, BTW, is with a 1cc syringe, preferably wit a nipple on the end...

McCarthy
03-19-2022, 09:02 AM
I have a four week old baby gray squirrel and he does not like eating in the morning sometimes during the day he will not eat as well. I have been trying to feed esbilac and Pedialyte for hydration but he still seems week and not real interested in feeding.
Thanks Pete

Going to bump this as well.

I hope you read the questions from CritterMom and come back for good advice, in time.

Pete, if you feel overwhelmed or don't have the time, let me know and I will pick him up. I'm not too far away.

Mel1959
03-21-2022, 03:57 PM
:hello:hello. What’s the status of this baby? Please let us know if you need assistance or the baby has passed.