PDA

View Full Version : What Foods @ 5 wks +

Rhapsody
09-17-2007, 11:29 PM
I have placed the age of the two squirrels I have at 5 weeks old based on two different age charts - and with that I was wondering when I should start adding solid food (and water) to their daily diet?

I will be ordering any and all supplies I need for the squirrels from this web site.... please take a look and let me know what I should have for them for the next month to come.

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/category/1429/Foods.htm

Thank you, :thankyou

Rhapsody
09-18-2007, 12:05 AM
PLUS.... can you give me a list of the best fruits & vegetables to feed them and when to add to their diet?

:thankyou

thundersquirrel
09-18-2007, 12:13 AM
from the store list, if i were you, i'd think about rodent blocks (zupreem or primate) and antler pieces (not necessary, but excellent for teething stage).

hardnuts would be good to start as well. i like to start young'uns on walnuts around this time, out of shell, no salt. pieces must be no smaller than half a walnut (to avoid choking). you could offer apple wedges, peeled grapes, cheerios, whole wheat bread soaked in formula, carrots, fresh corn on the cob, and broccoli (though my babies don't usually like broccoli).

they might LOVE the walnuts, but look carefully before decreasing their formula feedings- at first, most babies just like to rip up walnuts but not really eat them.

more will come tomorrow. ;)

Rhapsody
09-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Thank you for the list...... and Yes, I will make sure that I keep giving them the puppy milk - I was told to keep offering it until they are between 9-10 weeks old.

Should I order the Dry food from the site and start giving it to them right away? - and how much per day?

About what age do they actually start to eat the food offered to them instead of just biting or playing with it?

Mars
09-18-2007, 12:47 AM
I put rodent block in when they first start teething. They tend to shred till they are about 7ish weeks . I also let the teethe on Banana Chips. At 5 weeks one block a day along with there normal feedings is fine. :) I just make sure there is fresh available at all times. They tend to like to pee on it, too. :dono

Rhapsody
09-20-2007, 08:42 PM
from the store list, if i were you, i'd think about rodent blocks (zupreem or primate) and antler pieces (not necessary, but excellent for teething stage).

I put rodent block in when they first start teething. They tend to shred till they are about 7ish weeks .

ANY ONE - Please Reply!!

I am about to place an order for food supplies and I need to verify if these two items are considered the same thing, or do I need to order both of them - one for food and one for teething?

Zupreem Primate Dry / Mazuri Rodent Block

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/category/1429/Foods.htm

If I am to order both of them.... how much of each, per day, do I give to two squirrels that are 5 weeks old?

4skwerlz
09-20-2007, 09:10 PM
They are both fine as a primary diet. Try a little of both and see which one M&M hate the least....:D

G.B.: Great minds think alike....again!

Rhapsody
09-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I give both of them to Baby, but of course, she hates them both too. :rotfl

Try a little of both and see which one M&M hate the least....:D

:D :D "To Funny - I am Laughing so Hard" :D :D

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :flash3 :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

4skwerlz
09-20-2007, 09:22 PM
:D :D "To Funny - I am Laughing so Hard" :D :D

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :flash3 :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Sorry, we shouldn't be telling you M&M won't eat them.....:D If you give them to a squirrel real young, they sometimes learn to like them. If not, then again, try dipping them in yogurt, or molasses, or whatever it takes....:D Seriously, if you can get them to have the monkey biscuit or rodent block as a daily part of his diet, you won't have to worry as much about them getting the nutrition they need.

Rhapsody
09-20-2007, 09:33 PM
No Problem........ I understand what you two are saying for my three Sugar Gliders are picky eaters when it comes to getting their daily intake of fruits & vegetables - they would only pick out what they liked and left the rest.

Because of this problem I've had to trick them into eating their fruits & vegetables by mixing it up with some vanilla yogurt and honey - YUM! YUM! - they eat it all gone now.

hazel
09-20-2007, 09:36 PM
I use ''Regal Rat'' the rodent block equivalent from Oxbow Hay Co. All my squirrels seem to prefer it to other rodent block I've offered them. I like it better because it doesn't have chemical preservatives.

www.oxbowhay.com

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-20-2007, 09:53 PM
I also give my squirrels both Mazuri Rodent Block and the Zupreem Monkey Biscuits and mine will eat both. I start them when they first open their eyes and they learn to like them. They never eat it first once they have fruits veggies and nuts, but they will eat it after the good stuff is gone and they get hungry, so that works for me. Mine seem to prefer the Monkey Biscuits a little more than the rodent block.