PDA

View Full Version : Lethargic and Vomiting

Snicker Bar
03-09-2022, 11:08 AM
I’m trying to help a colleague 4 hours away. She would transfer the squirrel but it’s so weak she’s afraid it wouldn’t survive the trip. All I know is it stopped eating, began vomiting and is now hypothermic and lifeless. The vet has it in an incubator with oxygen, she’s given sub w fluids, dexamethasone (she was at a loss of what drug to try short of watching it die, so grabbed the dex) and has given glucose. I asked about diet but no info yet. She said she’s worried it could have a linear foreign body from shredding a towel it had access to, and was using for eating material.

How common is this in squirrels? I know threads are lethal for dogs and cats , but wondered if squirrels seem to defy death doing this in captivity? I know mine have accidentally torn up clothing and such . But I try to prevent access to anything fabric except fleece.

Trying to upload x rays,

Any thoughts?? Rule outs for a vomiting squirrel? I don’t see this problem posted often,

Snicker Bar
03-09-2022, 11:10 AM

Eeesh
No gloves

Charley Chuckles
03-09-2022, 12:23 PM
I've not heard of that, eating towels, not saying it couldn't happen.
Prayers to this little 🙏

Mel1959
03-09-2022, 12:54 PM
I’m sure they could ingest anything that they have access to chew. Patti believed her flyer may have died from ingesting plastic that he shredded when he had out of cage time. She only discovered the area he had been chewing after he had passed.

What’s the dark area in the x ray?

CritterMom
03-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Is she seeing something in the xray that indicates this? They are NOTHING like dogs which will eat anything, whole. Squirrels nibble tiny bits off of things. I really think it is unlikely that it has a thread in the digestive tract. I would look closer at some sort of bad food - people don't clean out food stashes, assuming that they won't voluntarily eat something bad, but that simply isn't true. If that is the case, warm, fluids, and hope the squirrel flushes it out of the system.

Snicker Bar
03-09-2022, 01:04 PM
Sorry for typo , was using for “nesting material” ,

The big black area is gas in stomach; the rest is gas distended intestines.

I kind of wondered if it bloat??

Checking in now to see if it’s still alive .

Just never had one of my own vomit , snd haven’t read many (maybe one?) posts or discussions about vomiting squirrels .

Snicker Bar
03-09-2022, 01:06 PM
CM how are these (GI upset) usually treated ?

Snicker Bar
03-09-2022, 01:33 PM
It passed,
Going to ask if she can autopsy

Mel1959
03-09-2022, 02:43 PM
Sorry to hear that it passed. :boohoo. Was this someone’s pet?

Charley Chuckles
03-09-2022, 03:00 PM
I'm so sorry 😔
It would be helpful to see what caused this.

Snicker Bar
03-09-2022, 04:27 PM
I will post autopsy pics after work. She is performing it now :(

Diggie's Friend
03-09-2022, 05:04 PM
Very sorry to hear that the squirrel didn't make it. Following the thoughts that others have posted here; possible bowel obstruction from a bezoar.

From Merck Manual:

Bezoars are tightly packed collections of partially digested or undigested material that can become stuck in the stomach or intestines.
Bezoars can be made up of most anything that has been swallowed. One form of bezoar noted, 'hair balls', are notably rare in rats.
Overgrooming can result in the ingestion of excess hair.

Lab Animal Science
1996 Dec;46(6):635-9.

High prevalence of gastric trichobezoars (hair balls) in Wistar-Kyoto rats fed a semi-purified diet
L Krugner-Higby 1, T Wolden-Hanson, A GeThough ndron, R L Atkinson
Affiliations expand
PMID: 9001176

Abstract
Gastric trichobezoars (hair balls) are frequently found in rabbits but are rarely reported in rats. Several Wistar-Kyoto rats fed a semi-purified diet developed anorexia and abdominal tenderness. Proteolysis therapy with fresh papaya and commercially prepared enzyme was attempted in these rats but was not successful. The prevalence of trichobezoars at necropsy was 100%. We conclude that semi-purified diets contribute to trichobezoar formation in rats, but proteolysis therapy is not effective in dissolving the trichobezoars.

Charley Chuckles
03-09-2022, 05:12 PM
Marie now that you said that I remember years ago my friends dog was in agony, she had no idea what was wrong, her vet discovered in her intestines a small plastic kids toy soldier, how and where the dog got it she didn't know but that dog survived but had so much of her intestines removed 😱

Scooterzmom
03-09-2022, 09:22 PM
It passed,
Going to ask if she can autopsy

So very sorry 😢 poor lil thing 💔