PDA

View Full Version : Acorns

Snicker Bar
01-21-2022, 07:37 PM
So,
I had some acorns hid for my flyers in a safe place I thought?? In our bedroom closet,
A trusted member told me, if I carefully cut and inspect them, she occasionally feeds them to her flyers,

So while at work today, Jon let two of my kids (greys) out to play and apparently the closet door wasn’t pushed shut tightly.

They found and detonated the acorns. Probably about 20 (?!)

Are they going to die now???
If one was moldy??
Is there a treatment ?? What do I watch for?

stepnstone
01-21-2022, 08:53 PM
So,
I had some acorns hid for my flyers in a safe place I thought?? In our bedroom closet,
A trusted member told me, if I carefully cut and inspect them, she occasionally feeds them to her flyers,
So while at work today, Jon let two of my kids (greys) out to play and apparently the closet door wasn’t pushed shut tightly.
They found and detonated the acorns. Probably about 20 (?!)

Are they going to die now???
If one was moldy??
Is there a treatment ?? What do I watch for?

Not necessarily, push the fluids...
Regurgitating, lethargic, not eating/drinking is what I've heard most.
Especially with regurgitating.
How long has it been since they got into them?

Charley Chuckles
01-21-2022, 09:04 PM
Trust me if moldy acorns could kill a squirrel my Charley Chuckles would have been dead before I ever found this board.
Yes I no longer give acorns to any of my kids, but I don't believe it's a death sentence...
It has to be moldy acorns..
I'm sure Marie your kids will be fine 🙂

Snicker Bar
01-21-2022, 09:28 PM
He let them out around noon today, and I got home around 7:30 and found the wreck. I counted at least 20 caps ,
Only found one intact nut.

They were all handpicked straight from branches and the plan was to cut and inspect and ration them to the flyers only.

So far the two that were out seem ok. They were active and excited to see me but now are in their nest together asleep.

I’m hoping so CC,

Diggie's Friend
01-21-2022, 10:52 PM
The PYC helps to block the toxic impact of alfatoxins; likewise MTS extract does also.

Contact me for the dosages.

island rehabber
01-22-2022, 07:14 AM
Activated charcoal is effective against toxins IF administered right away. Do so at the first sign of anything wonky in their behavior.

Snicker Bar
01-22-2022, 09:52 AM
They both appear alert and active this AM; so maybe this is a good sign,

I found the remains of at least 20 acorns (shells/caps) and a few intact ones hidden in various places. Going to scour every crack in the bedroom today.

Charley Chuckles
01-22-2022, 11:27 AM
Glad to hear.
Since you hand picked them from the tree not from the ground I would think that is safe.
It's always scary when we're not 💯% sure :grouphug