PDA

View Full Version : "Potty" Questions

LilPaige
09-17-2007, 02:33 PM
My little Simon will be 7 weeks old Thursday. I am still stimulating him to go potty. When will I know when he can go on his own? He never has any poop in his cage. I stimulate him after I feed him. Should I not stimulate him next time I feed him and see if he goes on his own? When I found Alvin, my other orphaned squirrel he was about Simon's age and he was already going by himself. Is he just a late bloomer or am I just not giving him a chance to do it on his own? Thanks

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi! At 7 weeks he should be able to go on his own. Your never seeing poop in his cage has me puzzled though?

LilPaige
09-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah I know it's strange. He has a light green blanket on the bottom with smaller blankets to cuddle in, so I know I would be able to SEE the poop. I'm sure he pees and i don't see it, but no poop so far. I'm going to feed him now, and wait about 15 minutes and see if will go on his own.

thundersquirrel
09-17-2007, 04:17 PM
it's possible he just lets you do it. definitely try not to stimulate for a day, see what happens! :thumbsup

LilPaige
09-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Okay, I'll stop stimulating him for a day. One question though, do I need to worry about bloat?

thundersquirrel
09-17-2007, 07:25 PM
mmm i've had constipated babies, but never got one with bloat for myself. i think you'd notice far less interest in food and a belly that stays large even after feeding. if you're worried you've been overfeeding, you could switch to just pedialyte for a feeding and see if that helps.

LilPaige
09-17-2007, 09:26 PM
No I know he hasn't been overfed. He eats 9 cc's or maybe a little more, depending, every 5 hours. I'm just wondering if I stop stimulating him to go potty if he will get sick or start to bloat. Also he has urinated by himself. I know this because he did it on my comforter earlier, but still no poop on his own.

thundersquirrel
09-17-2007, 10:04 PM
don't worry, you won't let him get far enough to get bloat from not pooping.

give it till tomorrow. i'm really thinking he'll realize he needs to do it himself soon. ;)